Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Luba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 22, 2009
I am thinking of getting Crucial 32GB Kit (2x16GB) DDR3-1866 RDIMM 1.5V Memory For Mac Pro Systems (Late 2013) CT2K16G3R186DM at Amazon for $400 instead of Apple's RAM because I can later add 2 more sticks if I need/want 64GB RAM.

At the 64GB RAM level, Apple says the RAM must be registered, because the memory controller can't handle a large amount of RAM?

If I mix different brands of registered RAM, could there be issues?

For my current 2009 Mac Pro I bought RAM in sticks of 3, because the 4,1 Mac Pro is triple channel. Is the nMP dual channel?

VirtualRain

macrumors 603
Aug 1, 2008
Vancouver, BC
I am thinking of getting Crucial 32GB Kit (2x16GB) DDR3-1866 RDIMM 1.5V Memory For Mac Pro Systems (Late 2013) CT2K16G3R186DM at Amazon for $400 instead of Apple's RAM because I can later add 2 more sticks if I need/want 64GB RAM.

At the 64GB RAM level, Apple says the RAM must be registered, because the memory controller can't handle a large amount of RAM?

If I mix different brands of registered RAM, could there be issues?

For my current 2009 Mac Pro I bought RAM in sticks of 3, because the 4,1 Mac Pro is triple channel. Is the nMP dual channel?

nMP is quad channel. Of course, that means you will get maximum memory bandwidth with 4 sticks. However, whether you will notice the difference running in dual channel mode with 2 sticks, is hard to say. To some extent the large L3 cache in modern CPUs will mask any performance issues in the underlying memory subsystem. As far as mixing different brands of RAM, it shouldn't be a problem as long as it's all identically spec'd but there are some folks on here who work a lot more with big memory setups than me that are probably better qualified to answer that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.