Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple debuted a new television ad for the iPad during the NFL playoffs this weekend. The 90-second spot features a Robin Williams speech from the film Dead Poets Society overlaying the iPad being used in a variety of industries including filmmaking, mountaineering, SCUBA diving, music and more.

Apple has also introduced a new website called "Your Verse" to share the stories of the iPad users behind the ad.

We don't read and write poetry because it's cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race. And the human race is filled with passion. And medicine, law, business, engineering -- these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But poetry, beauty, romance, love -- these are what we stay alive for.

To quote from Whitman,

"O me, O life of the questions of these recurring.
Of the endless trains of the faithless. Of cities filled with the foolish. What good amid these, O me, O life?
Answer: that you are here. That life exists and identity. That the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse."

"That the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse."

What will your verse be?
Apple is using the spot, along with its previously existing 'Life on iPad' website, to show the wide variety of ways the iPad can be used in work and life. Back in October, alongside the iPad Air launch, Apple ran a 'Pencil' television spot that touted the iPad's usefulness in "classrooms, boardrooms, expeditions" and in space.

Article Link: Apple Debuts New Poetry-Themed 'Your Verse' iPad TV Ad

XboxMySocks

macrumors 68020
Oct 25, 2009
Holy hell, this is way more intense than usual Apple adverts. Who are they aiming at here?

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Nice

Certainly defines the target populations. Also demonstrates the devise as the real world tool for productivity, and advancement. A Tremendous separation between the iPad Air and Android Tabs. Hit the nail squarely on the head, IMO. Really, really quality stuff these day. :apple:

DFZD

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2012
Apple always has the best commercials ever. BTW Love Robin Williams. :)

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
This is a very Wieden+Kennedy spot. Surprising move for both Apple and their agency.

Not a bad spot.

=w=

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2012
Just saw it during the San Francisco/Carolina game. I kept seeing the iPad, but thought it seemed different than most Apple commercials. It was kind of intense.. then it's like oh yeah iPad Air.

I don't really care for the commercial, but I think most commercials are ridiculous these days.

MasterHowl

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
North of England
Love this ad, very powerful.

It's incredible what you can do with an iPad these days. And to think people said "iPad is pointless, it's just a big iPod Touch" when it first came out...

Good work Apple :apple:

mattbaar26

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2013
This was an amazing commercial. Just saw it during the game and was arguing with room mates about whether it would be an apple commercial or not

Richardgm

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
I don't know. If Apple continues to sell the iPad to this demographic their market share will go the way of the iPhone.

FuNGi

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2010
California
Crazy. This is a hark back to Job's contractual ideas working with Lee Clow in 1997. I just read about it earlier today on Chapter 25 of the Steve Jobs biography.
They ended up using the "Think Different" speach narrated by Richard Dreyfus (Robin Williams, whom was asked, apparently didn't do adds) but this same idea (the Dead Poets Society clip) was pitched. I think this add is a legacy tribute. Nicely done Apple.

booyahbooyah

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2011
A+

One of the best Apple ads ever.

(The first test of an ad is whether it makes the viewer want to watch it again, immediately. This one did for me.)

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
Every time they showed someone taking a picture or recording video, the only thing I could think of was how terrible that camera is and how goofy those people looked using it.

bketchum

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2003
Grand Portage, Minnesota
Anyone have a link to the mount / lense / mic setup they are using on the iPad at 0:35?

Near the bottom of Apple's new iPad "Your Verse" webpage, it says…

"New York‑based filmmaker Josh Apter has created a housing for iPad that turns it into a lightweight, portable moviemaking camera. With attachments like microphones, SLR lenses, and other accessories, he takes iPad on the go to shoot his documentaries."

http://www.apple.com/your-verse/

booyahbooyah

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2011
Apple is trying to move the iPad away from the notion that productivity means a keyboard and an office suite.

A question tho' -- these iPad ads keep showing these video-apps where someone films some doing something technically sophisticated (choreography, sumo wrestling), and then using the app to refine the technique by drawing angles on the screen.

Are these real apps? If so, could you point me to one of them?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.