Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tobasco27

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 18, 2010
Chicagoland
A relative newbie at advanced digital editing, so be kind.:)

I won't be doing significant professional type editing, but want to have some basic functions. I'm pretty sure Aperature doesn't have this capability, but not 100% sure.

Basically, I'm looking for a "somewhat" simplistic editing software that allows the basics (including adding a person to a picture) that is easy to use or compatible with iPhoto (where I currently have thousands of pictures organized, thus the need).

Thanks for any advice!

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
You basically need any software with layers. I have Onone Suite which will do this as a stand alone application. I hear lots of good things about pixelator app as well.
I don't have much need for this type of photography though so I'm no expert.

cntwtfrmynwmbp

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2012
You should try Pixelmator (available from the Mac App Store). It can do all what you asked for and much more. It's about 15-30$.

A free alternative is Gimp, but it's less user-friendliy in my opinion.

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
Aperture won't do it but Pixelmator (MAS) definitely will and is your best buy.

Keep in mind that this is not easy to do and do very well if this is your first time working with this type of editing. You'll need to read-up on and learn about working with layers. There are are lots of tutorials available onYouTube.

Once you figure it out, Pixelmator works very well.

~ Peter

swordio777

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2013
Scotland, UK
There are a wide range of apps that will let you do this - many of which are much cheaper than Photoshop. As Apple fanboy said above, what you really want is an application that lets you work with multiple layers.

Check out GIMP (http://www.gimp.org) for a free photoshop alternative.
Also look at Pixelmator on the mac app store, or Acorn (http://www.flyingmeat.com/acorn/) - these apps are not free, but are quite affordable. All 3 will do what you want.

You asked for something that is easy to use, but it's important to understand that all of these apps will have a learning curve and what you are trying to do (copy a person from one background to another) will take practice. It will not be a one click solution, so you'll need to put the hours in to learn how to use the software.

Hope that helps.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
You should try Pixelmator (available from the Mac App Store). It can do all what you asked for and much more. It's about 15-30$.

A free alternative is Gimp, but it's less user-friendliy in my opinion.

Yes I meant Pixelmator, but somehow my dumb brain remembered pixelator! Not even sure if that exists, but removing my endorsement.

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
A relative newbie at advanced digital editing, so be kind.:)

I won't be doing significant professional type editing, but want to have some basic functions. I'm pretty sure Aperature doesn't have this capability, but not 100% sure.

Basically, I'm looking for a "somewhat" simplistic editing software that allows the basics (including adding a person to a picture) that is easy to use or compatible with iPhoto (where I currently have thousands of pictures organized, thus the need).

Thanks for any advice!

Here's a Pixelmator tutorial for removing a person out of one photo and placing in another background:
http://www.pixelmator.com/tutorials/image-compositions/changing-backgrounds/

There are lots more tutorials on the Pixemator website, and links to 3rd party tuts in their Support/Tutorials section.

themumu

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2011
Sunnyvale
While any editing software with layers can do the trick, I think Photoshop will be the best choice due to the content-aware cutting/pasting that can be done with it. Look up some tutorials and demos of the (relatively) new content-aware features in Photoshop and you will see that for this kind of task it's a much better way to go. Achieving the same quality results in other software will take a whole lot more time and skill.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.