Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
That's awful. Return it, it's obviously a lemon.

It may not. Have to try the other turn off methods first to see if the battery life improves, than if not, go to Apple. To give your advise without trying the methods given him is just plain silly, and you don't even know if its a lemon.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
It may not. Have to try the other turn off methods first to see if the battery life improves, than if not, go to Apple. To give your advise without trying the methods given him is just plain silly, and you don't even know if its a lemon.

For my is plain silly to disable feature to gain MINUTES in battery life ... I say again MINUTES.
from an "all on" configuration and an "almost all off" configuration there is about 30-40 minutes a day in usage, on an iPhone 5.
What's the reason to have a lot of nice features if you keep all of them off ?

My iPhone 5 had at least 5-6 hour of usage time with a good battery.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011

He's in decent reception area, has most things turned off, on WiFi, not max brightness. There is nothing short of a hardware defect that should produce battery life that appalling.

Mars478

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
NYC, NY
I agree with zbravian. To me honestly as a person who repairs their own phones; apples warranty is useless to me since I can fix everything on this phone for a fraction of what apple charges, and a battery replacement will take me at most 5 minutes to do on my desk and cost 10 bucks. Meanwhile a restore and blah blah blah will take probably a good part of a day to do and I need my phone to work. I will report back with ibackupbot data and when the new battery arrives.

----------

I'm guessing with over a year of heavy usage it probably just is slowly dying. This was my battery life within the first week of getting the phone (just checked my photos, another reason I refuse to erase and restore) using the same backup I'm using now.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 40

Mars478

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
NYC, NY
HA! Wow. I just did the iBackupbot thing, and these are my results...

CycleCount: 643
DesignCapacity: 1430
FullChargeCapacity: 778

So half capacity in over a year. That'll do it. To everyone that said the battery was the culprit, looks like you were right!

Mars478

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
NYC, NY
Now THAT's more like it. First full charge since I installed the battery. I'm not too worried about the fact that it's not exactly the full amount, we shall see with future cycles. If anyone wanted to see an iBackupbot battery with cycle count zero, here it is.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-01-12 at 8.41.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-01-12 at 8.41.51 PM.png
    14 KB · Views: 112

Mars478

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
NYC, NY
The difference is immediately noticeable. At about 2 hours of usage and 4 hours of standby, and my battery is sitting at 70%. Should have done this many months ago. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.