Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London
That's nice - I bought mine over a month ago and it still says "February" for the delivery date :-/

To be fair I do freelance animation work for Apple and beta test software out now and then. But before you ask I don't know anything early... well not always :D

Last edited by a moderator:

MacVista

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2007
Wow. I would have corrected those two issues and continue selling in EU.
Upgrade the old MacPro and call the new one MacPro Mini, and keep both product lines.

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London
Wow. I would have corrected those two issues and continue selling in EU.
Upgrade the old MacPro and call the new one MacPro Mini, and keep both product lines.

Er. Then you are not understanding why they made this in the first place are you. Or the fact the EU issue was dead in the water as they were already planning this.

The older mac pro is consistently slower in every way. And way more power hungry and very very heavy therefore expensive to ship.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
That's nice - I bought mine over a month ago and it still says "February" for the delivery date :-/

Same here, though mine is still processing for "January" with no definitive ship date. I guess Apple wants to give me lots of time to reconsider spending that much on a computer....

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Moderator Note:

The original article has now been updated.
Update: This article has been revised to clarify that the halt to Mac Pro sales in Europe was a decision by Apple not to update the previous Mac Pro to comply with the new regulatory requirements. It was also edited to emphasize that deliveries of the new Mac Pro are just now beginning in Europe. The machine has been available to order since mid-December when it went on sale worldwide, but short supplies have led to lengthy lead time on orders.

A large number of off-topic posts have been removed to try to keep this discussion open. Please keep on topic and restrict any political debate to the appropriate forum.

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London
They were "banned" for two reasons:

- the fan guards were deemed unsafe (apparently, small children could have gotten hurt)
- the heat-shielding around the electrical ports was deemed unsafe

While it was annoying that they had to stop selling the MP for such a long time, these are simple facts:

1. the EU had a reason to implement the new safety standards
2. Only minor adjustments were necessary to make the MP meet the standards again. Apple refused to make them.

It's not as simple as all that. A complete recasting and some electrical redesign + It would have have to have gone thought all the regulation trials by which time the new one would have been out.

All for a couple of months of sales of a product that was at end of cycle anyway.

I understand the electrical reason. but the fan guard is less than 5mm - what mobile child has fingers that diameter? I can't even get a Biro tip halfway.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Unacceptable they left the pro-market so long without the possibility of purchasing a mac pro.
The regulatory change got ahead of them and only on a single product line. The delay in MacPro releases was largely an Intel issue. Apple could not set the schedule on either end of that deal.

Users were free to purchase used MacPros in the mean time, and still can if they need internal rather than external storage. Perhaps an install with a combo of new and old MacPros can be put on a grid or cluster format to use the best of all worlds, fast processing, and expandability with accessories such as specialized cards and drives.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
"Writes" is stretching it a bit far. Reposting.

And No I don't like Beta software changes. I hate all improvement.

9to5 appears to have a website value of about $500k.... but macrumors... ****! I am in the wrong game completely. A forum and some media aggregating... holy crap.

http://247wallst.com/media/2009/11/10/the-twenty-five-most-valuable-blogs-in-america/

Problem is when 99.9% of users aren't running said beta software and are asked to give an opinion based on screen shots. And screen shots of icons where one has a barely noticeable darker shade of green. :rolleyes: Ben Lovejoy writes some decent articles over there, probably the only worthwhile stuff reading (sorry don't think posting a leaked internal memo from Tim Cook is newsworthy).
/OT

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
It's not as simple as all that. A complete recasting and some electrical redesign + It would have have to have gone thought all the regulation trials by which time the new one would have been out.

All for a couple of months of sales of a product that was at end of cycle anyway.

I understand the electrical reason. but the fan guard is less than 5mm - what mobile child has fingers that diameter? I can't even get a Biro tip halfway.

The regulation was made in 2009

kis

Suspended
Aug 10, 2007
Switzerland
Same here, though mine is still processing for "January" with no definitive ship date. I guess Apple wants to give me lots of time to reconsider spending that much on a computer....

yeah, no kidding - I was close to pushing the "cancel" button more than once. I could almost make the down payment for a new car for that kind of money :)

Amadeus71

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2013
Three weeks in, still no date

I've ordered mine on the 19th and it has been saying 'January' ever since. I suppose because it was BTO it takes longer than the others, but must admit if I had known it's almost February anyway, I'd probably have amended one or two things of my order (doing so cancels your place in the queue so you wanna think twice about doing that).

SaxPlayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2007
Dorset, England
My first reaction to this article was:

Deliveries?
Europe?
Nah!

I'm in the same boat as many people on Mac Rumors. I placed my order on launch day (December 19) and my order status has said "Processing Items Dispatched: January" ever since despite refreshing that page several thousand times since then :D

A MacRumors forum member (Scissors) started this spreadsheet:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...bXQ2Q3BwbXc2S2NhWUVzVlAxUEE&usp=sharing#gid=5

It's well worth filling in if you've ordered one. It shows just one lucky … er … person has had their nMP shipped (arriving today). All other European orders haven't gone anywhere yet. :mad:

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
God if they made mini or some non pro computer with similar case/approach, i would be totally temted to go desktop, just for that design

awgPhoto

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2014
3 weeks and waiting

I ordered my custom Mac Pro 2013 on 19 Dec 13 within an hour of the Apple Store UK making the new machine available. I am still waiting patiently. My order has only ever shown delivery in January. Apart for an email in the new year I find the lack of progress information from Apple very disappointing. I have been waiting since the old Mac Pro was within (by Apple) from Europe so I can wait a little longer to replace my 7 year old 2006 model.

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010
I have to say, I am a bit peeved that my Mac mini auto-hibernates after 4 hours in standby after finding out it was because of European regulations. It's really slow to resume compared to waking, and so far I've not been able to disable it. (I briefly tried checking pmset but didn't find a way to prevent hibernation)

I'm definitely all in for saving energy, reducing carbon emissions, etc. But standby already uses very little power so forcing hibernate is a bit excessive in my mind (saving 0.93W). Meanwhile I've seen countless PCs in the workplace left on overnight (so say 5pm-8am next day) with the screen on and everything.

http://images.apple.com/environment/reports/docs/macmini_per_july2011.pdf

Ran into the same issue with my wife's base model 2012 Mac Mini. Was driving me nuts as I never seen a Mac desktop regularly go into hibernation mode like this before.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
Sales of the previous-generation Mac Pro in Europe were halted as of March 1, 2013 due to new regulatory requirements regarding I/O port power and fan guard placement.

New? Hardly. The requirements actually predate the 2009 Mac Pro. Apple ran into a buzzsaw solely and purely because they were selling at 5 year old design. Not even remotely the case that some "new" regulations jumped out of the bushes and surprised them. Apple's product got pulled because it was old. Period.

Equipment makers were given a very generous 4 year grace period to get their act together. Only slackers got ensnared in that. For products that are normally on 1-2 year cycles that is at a least two generations.

Not sure why mods are complaining about political commentary when mischaracterization of "new" basically inflame them.

The regulatory change got ahead of them and only on a single product line. The delay in MacPro releases was largely an Intel issue. Apple could not set the schedule on either end of that deal.

Not even close. Change got out ahead of Apple because they were completely dead-in-the-water. That wasn't anyone's fault but Apples. The EU legal bodies didn't nuke Apple's R&D allocations. Apple chose not to spend on that activity for the Mac Pro.

Numerous other system vendors came out with new models in 2012 based on E5 v1 and same C602 chipset here. Thunderbolt was available in 2012. New GPUs cards were available in 2012. New GPU cards from 3rd parties were available around the same time the Mac Pro wsa being pulled from the EU markets in 2013.

A specific mix of 4K 60Hz and TB v2 put this particular design on the timeline it had but the Mac Pro didn't necessarily need those 1-2 years ago which would have completely averted the need for a EU market withdraw.

Stephen123

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2007
They were "banned" for two reasons:

- the fan guards were deemed unsafe (apparently, small children could have gotten hurt)
- the heat-shielding around the electrical ports was deemed unsafe

While it was annoying that they had to stop selling the MP for such a long time, these are simple facts:

1. the EU had a reason to implement the new safety standards
2. Only minor adjustments were necessary to make the MP meet the standards again. Apple refused to make them.

Although there were good reasons for these laws, they were very poorly written. So, although the fan guards were deemed unsafe on the technicality that the case could be opened while in operation, the fans were, in fact, physically safe even when exposed. Much more dangerous fans in millions of PCs were deemed safe because the manufacturers never mentioned that the machine could run with the case off.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Seriously!

Where, how, and why do you you think they get their money?
Its by supplying 'convenience'.

There is a big difference between making convenient products that people want to buy and simply existing to make people's lives easier no matter what.

No, Apple, like every for-profit, exists to make money for shareholders.. but if you want to get sentimental and philosophical, Apple also was partly founded to change the world, as Jobs put it, though he made it clear he wanted to make lots of money too.

So, yes, Apple does not exist for the whim and convenience of customers. That's not a business, it's a co-op.

tcgjeukens

macrumors regular
May 16, 2007
Esbeek, the Netherlands
Back to the topic

Indeed too many posts deviate from the topic: the commencement of MP shipments in Europe.

Has anyone in Europe had a delivery of a non standard (BTO) mac pro since the new product became available.

If so be interested to hear when it was ordered.

I ordered my BTO MP on December 30th, 2013 via an Apple reseller. My ETA date is 'February 2014'. No specifics on beginning/ end.

I ordered the standard 4 core model with an SSD upgrade to 512Gb.

Keep you posted on the delivery.

Coen

Larry-K

macrumors 68000
Jun 28, 2011
Or millions or no one but it is irrelevant with what I have said.
Well, let's hope the EU bureaucracy doesn't have issues with the nMP.

They are making it in Texas, and Texas is pretty much the antithesis of the EU.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.