Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maxh231

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2014
My MacBook asked me for some software updates and I updated Safari and iTunes. It told me to restart my computer, so I did. Now my screen is mostly black with some white boxes. I can see my mouse arrow but that's it. I looked at other forums and it said to press Control+Alt+Command+8, and I did. That just reverses the colors so it's mostly white with black boxes on my screen. Any suggestions?

allthingsapple

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2013
My MacBook asked me for some software updates and I updated Safari and iTunes. It told me to restart my computer, so I did. Now my screen is mostly black with some white boxes. I can see my mouse arrow but that's it. I looked at other forums and it said to press Control+Alt+Command+8, and I did. That just reverses the colors so it's mostly white with black boxes on my screen. Any suggestions?

Go into the Accessibility preferences pane found in system preferences, click on display and make sure the two tick boxes are not ticked. If they are ticked uncheck them.

If that fails shut the mac down and then do a pram reset to see if it helps matters. Turn on the mac and as soon as you hear the boot chime hold down the following keys Command, Option (aka Left alt key) p and r. hold the keys down until you have at least heard the boot chime a further 3 times. The screen will flash during this process, thats normal. If that fails then try doing a SMC reset (depending on which macbook you have the SMC reset process will slightly differ.)

maxh231

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2014
Thank you for your help, although it didn't work:( . I can't see my screen except for the boxes, so I do not know if the two check boxes are checked. Any other suggestions?

allthingsapple

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2013
Thank you for your help, although it didn't work:( . I can't see my screen except for the boxes, so I do not know if the two check boxes are checked. Any other suggestions?

If you have access to an external monitor. Connect it up to your mac and see if the problem replicates itself on the external display. If it doesn't, Run through the processes I previously suggested. If the problem persists on the external display then it may be a more serious problem relating to your macs graphics chipset and a trip to the Genius bar may be in order.

maxh231

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 12, 2014
Thanks for the help, but this is the only Mac computer in my house. I will visit the genius bar sometime soon. Once again, thank you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.