Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
I have to say it looks pretty but it seems to be no more than a laptop optical disc device wrapped up in a pretty box so to speak. The speeds of read and write are those of a laptop unit. Darn shame that it is another form over function item with its slow speed (but then again, perhaps it is fine for playback purposes of movies and music discs).

CH12671

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 29, 2013
Southern US
Kind of what I thought too. I need advice on a good disc burner. I want to be able to burn and rip both dvd and blue ray. My super disc in my iMac is trashed. So I would like something that will work with that machine now, and my nmp this spring....

----------

And it would be nice if I can purchase it at best buy since I have $100 in reward zone bucks to spend. No necessary, but would be nice....

xcodeSyn

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2012
I want to be able to burn and rip both dvd and blue ray.
There aren't many good choices of Blu-ray burner in the US, probably mainly between LG and Pioneer. Pioneer has better reading of scratched discs while LG has more model choices. This one is probably the fastest external model with USB 3.0 interface, and can be shared with different computers; it is currently on sale at BestBuy. The max write speed for BD-R is actually 14X, not 16X.

CH12671

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 29, 2013
Southern US
There aren't many good choices of Blu-ray burner in the US, probably mainly between LG and Pioneer. Pioneer has better reading of scratched discs while LG has more model choices. This one is probably the fastest external model with USB 3.0 interface, and can be shared with different computers; it is currently on sale at BestBuy. The max write speed for BD-R is actually 14X, not 16X.
That's the exact one I was thinking about, thanks for the reinforcement that it's a good unit!
Just burn DVD professional in an easy way on Mac, you may try this:
MyLife DVD Creator Pro

Thanks for the advice, but I don't need authoring software. I have FCPx, compressor, and iDVD, so I'm set on software.....it's hardware I need.

crjackson2134

macrumors 601
Mar 6, 2013
Charlotte, NC
While this may not be the fastest BD burner, it sure would look nice sitting under a new Mac Pro. I think I would go for this one for the aesthetics alone if I owned a nMP.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.