Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blouis79

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2005
Since announcement, I've been thinking a Mac Pro would fit in carry-on baggage. So with a portable screen and plug in power, could be run on a plane perhaps?

Also curious to see Mac Pro cluster hardware - central dock surrounded by 6 Mac Pros.

Looks we are with the new Mac Pro where we were when iPads first launched - all the scribblers said "who would want one, not me....".

shaunp

Cancelled
Nov 5, 2010
What is it that the "Mini" will not do? Not what hardware is it missing but what will it not do? The high end Mini had a quad core i7 and is SSD based. The HD4000 GPU could be better but I can run multiple 1080p video in the time line on FCPX.

Currently about the best desktop Apple has is the MacBook Pro Retina with a thunderbolt display. I think the Retina MBP is the desktop you've been looking for, just close the lid and plug in a big monitor

Games! I know the offensive word. How dare I want to play games on a Mac. Don't I know I should use a console for that! I want one machine that does everything. I know that's difficult for the Mac community to understand but that's why I want dedicated graphics. I know it will never happen, which is why I built a PC instead. Doesn't have OS X (which I really like), but it is quick.

As for the rMPB, I've got one. The high-end early 2013 one. It's a good laptop, but I wouldn't dream of playing games on it. It's not much slower than the 27" iMac so we can rule that out too.

devios1337

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2014
The site promises benchmarks and further testing soon.

Oh that is just screaming for a third-party see-through case cover! Perhaps a blue and white R2D2 themed one, too. ;)

I'm not particularly fond of the super shiny graphite one Apple's chosen. It's at once both too flashy and yet somehow also boring. No Apple logo on the front? I find that surprising.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.