Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BlockEight88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2013
Would really appreciate some advice. I start my final semester in college tomorrow. I just bought an iMac about 2 months ago which I love. I need something very portable to bring with me to classes, as I'll have time in between and need to get HW done. My iMac is plenty powerful with a fusion drive and 16BG of memory.

I was thinking along the lines of the 13" rMBP. I would be willing to pay a premium for that nice screen. The MBA is out of the question as that screen was horrible. The retina 13" pro is nearly as light.

What do you guys recommend other than Apple for good deals. I would like the latest haswell model.

Thanks

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
You are requesting a suggestion a laptop that is not a Mac in this forum?
Maybe a Windows 8 Tablet/hybrid?

A Mac can run Windows if that is what you are looking for. Natively with Boot Camp, or Virtually with a Virtual Machine: Virtual Box, Parallels or VMware Fusion.

What are you studying if you don't mind sharing, that might help with others members suggestions.

BlockEight88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2013
You are requesting a suggestion a laptop that is not a Mac in this forum?
Maybe a Windows 8 Tablet/hybrid?

A Mac can run Windows if that is what you are looking for. Natively with Boot Camp, or Virtually with a Virtual Machine: Virtual Box, Parallels or VMware Fusion.

What are you studying if you don't mind sharing, that might help with others members suggestions.

No no. I am definitely requesting a mac. I will not use windows after the mess Windows 8/8.1 is.

My major is criminology.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
You have not specified what the machine has to execute out in the classrooms and lecture halls. If all you will do in the classroom is take notes, read email, and cruse the net....an iPad Air with plenty of memory should be just fine. When you get back to your room, move the notes in Pages to the iMac. BTW, I hope you are doing daily backups of the iMac.

fskywalker

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2009
The 13" rMBP is a great choice, I love mine (Haswell), my daughter has a 13" rMBP (Ivy Bridge) ans it is great as well. Check the educational discounts, you may also check for Apple refurbished units.

BlockEight88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2013
You have not specified what the machine has to execute out in the classrooms and lecture halls. If all you will do in the classroom is take notes, read email, and cruse the net....an iPad Air with plenty of memory should be just fine. When you get back to your room, move the notes in Pages to the iMac. BTW, I hope you are doing daily backups of the iMac.

I just need a laptop. Preferably for typing up papers, light gaming, photoshop, some movies, maybe run Windows 7.

I am doing daily backups for my iMac, why?

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
I am doing daily backups for my iMac, why?

I asked because you did not mention it and backups are dang important.

Personally I think your would be better off with a 15" rMBP to use on campus and in your room. In your room just hook it to a large monitor, external keyboards...etc. They you only have one machine to administer and backup. A 2013 15" rMBP should be able to handle your needs.

BlockEight88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2013
I asked because you did not mention it and backups are dang important.

Personally I think your would be better off with a 15" rMBP to use on campus and in your room. In your room just hook it to a large monitor, external keyboards...etc. They you only have one machine to administer and backup. A 2013 15" rMBP should be able to handle your needs.

15" to big. Thanks though.

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
i just got the 13 inch macbook pro for school and it is perfect, battery lasts all day and it is able to fit on the desk without sticking out like the 15 inch does.

BlockEight88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2013
i just got the 13 inch macbook pro for school and it is perfect, battery lasts all day and it is able to fit on the desk without sticking out like the 15 inch does.

The old 13" or the retina 13"? I hear the 13" retina is very light.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
I've had both the unibody 13" MBP and the new 13" rMBP (Haswell). They're both great machines for students! The MBP was my sole machine for 4 years, and now it's been retired for the rMBP. The 13" is the perfect size for lecture hall desks and pulling it out on your lap in the hallway outside class. And of course cafeteria and library tables.

An iPad Air would certainly work for your uses in partnership with the iMac, but you're right that the rMBP gives you more functionality. I purchased the 2.4ghz i5 with 8gb RAM and the 256gb SSD. The student discount makes it an excellent value for a nice laptop. I purchased mine from the Apple Education online store for retail store pick-up and had it within a few hours on the second day after the launch.

Whatever word processing, slideshow, and spreadsheet suite you use now is the one I would get for your new Mac. No sense in using Pages on the rMBP if you do everything on the iMac in Word or vise versa. Of course if you use Google Drive then it's not an issue at all.

BlockEight88

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 20, 2013
^ thanks for the advice. I should have mentioned that I have an iPad 3 running ios6 which I love, but I'd need something with a physical keyboard and something I can do papers on.

Any good deals on the current 13" rMBP?

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
^ thanks for the advice. I should have mentioned that I have an iPad 3 running ios6 which I love, but I'd need something with a physical keyboard and something I can do papers on.

Usually the education discount is just as good as deals from other stores. Unfortunately Apple products rarely go on sale.

glenthompson

macrumors demi-god
Apr 27, 2011
Virginia

My wife got a case with Bluetooth keyboard for her iPad air and it's almost like using a 10" MBA. She finds it great when she has to type a lot and doesn't want to change rooms to use her iMac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.