Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
Because this is wrong. Animal fats are imperative for survival. We lack the capabilities to remove those fats from our diets as a species.
Animal fats are not imperative for human survival. Humans are not obligate carnivores. You are categorically incorrect. The most common lacking vitamin would be B12, obtained from lacto-ovo-gegetarian diets or B12 can be easily be taken parenterally for strict vegetarians or vegans.

Granted, vegetarianism is ultimately a luxury we can indulge in because civilization provides us with huge helpings and large varieties of foods. If we ever found ourselves in an post-apocalyptic end of the world as we know it type situation, even the staunchest of vegetarians would eventually find themselves chowing down on meat to keep from starving. We eat meat because it's an incredibly rich source of certain types of protein no single plant can match on its own. But in our current state of society, vegetarianism is something people can choose to do, because, quite simply, they know when their next meal is coming, and they can always get enough to eat.
Although this is a often repeated argument, I refer you again to the subcontinent, populated by hundreds of millions of vegetarians whom I can assure you are not indulging in luxury.

VI™

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2010
Shepherdsturd, WV
What's funny is a saw an undercover restaurant or some show similar with a vegan cafe and one of the girls working there told a customer that milk is murder. I think she was a little militant. :D

Renzatic

Suspended
Although this is a often repeated argument, I refer you again to the subcontinent, populated by hundreds of millions of vegetarians whom I can assure you are not indulging in luxury.

Touche. I didn't even take into account that whole cultures have been primarily vegetarian for hundreds of years now.

So let me change my argument somewhat. Before the advent of farming, vegetarianism wouldn't have been feasible since hunter gatherers wouldn't have been able to forage up enough vegetable matter to match what they could get from a good chunk of meat.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
What's funny is a saw an undercover restaurant or some show similar with a vegan cafe and one of the girls working there told a customer that milk is murder. I think she was a little militant. :D

A little militant? Sounds like an over-the-top militant to me. Either that or she is such an idiot that she doesn't know the meaning of murder. After all, what animal is killed producing milk?

citizenzen

macrumors 68000
Mar 22, 2010
What's funny is a saw an undercover restaurant or some show similar with a vegan cafe and one of the girls working there told a customer that milk is murder. I think she was a little militant.

She has a point.

As a vegetarian and not a vegan, I still eat eggs and milk products, so I still require some degree of "enslavement" of the cow and chicken. These animals are not able to live free and natural lives and are normally disposed of when they stop producing adequately enough to suit the producer.

That might help to explain her point of view.

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
After all, what animal is killed producing milk?
All the bulls that are born (with the exception of a few) are a by-product and go into meat production or culled, and the cows themselves are slaughtered after a short milking career. Even sooner if they aren't productive or suffer from diseases like mastitis.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA

I don't feel Milk is Murder.

However I do have a serious problem with factory farming, not only does it produce inferior meat. The conditions the animals are put through are just straight up awful, while I don't view animals on the same level as humans, I also feel its wrong when we do things like factory farming. Which is why I personally keep the meat I purchase coming from local family farms, which around here at least do NOT practice the same factory farming ******** that huge companies like Tyson or Smithfeild do for example, You'll never see me buy their products willingly.

VI™

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2010
Shepherdsturd, WV
I don't feel Milk is Murder.

However I do have a serious problem with factory farming, not only does it produce inferior meat. The conditions the animals are put through are just straight up awful, while I don't view animals on the same level as humans, I also feel its wrong when we do things like factory farming. Which is why I personally keep the meat I purchase coming from local family farms, which around here at least do NOT practice the same factory farming ******** that huge companies like Tyson or Smithfeild do for example, You'll never see me buy their products willingly.

I've always preferred free range over the large grocery store chain meats, but it's not always easy. I live in a small town where the nearest wegman's is 40 miles away or so and the closest butcher shop is expensive and didn't even have a brisket last time I went looking for one.

Fortunately a new butcher shop opened a few months ago and it's where I do all my meat shopping. All their beef and pork is grass fed and the chickens come from the owner's father's farm the next town over. Not to mention, his prices beat the sale prices at the large supermarket chains. I've had times where I was grocery shopping and would drive across town afterwards to buy meat istead of buying it where I was already at and where it was more convenient.

gollys

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2013
Gold Coast, Australia
My daughter and I have not eaten red meat for about a year now - but we do eat seafood still (mainly salmon) as we found we seem to need that.
We just found over the years we were eating less and less red meat, and when we did, we were no longer enjoying it, so we decided to give it up altogether.
Once we did that we noticed how much nicer veggies tasted and we expanded our diet to try other things.

We both feel much better for not having a meat diet now.

But I dont think I could ever give up seafood at this time anyway.

I thought I would miss or maybe crave red meat - but that never happened, in fact I hate the look of it now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.