Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheAnvil

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 25, 2013
If I were in your position, I'd wait for the iPhone 6 especially if you want a larger screen. As far as the fingerprint sensor goes, I suspect Apple will improve it after a several months of customer use and complaints. MacRumors rumor here.

First link doesn't work. Nothing in the second about the fingerprint sensor; what is wrong with it currently?

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
First link doesn't work. Nothing in the second about the fingerprint sensor; what is wrong with it currently?

Nothing wrong with mine. Works about 95% of the time with my right thumb. A bit less successful with my left (about ~80%), but there's lots of information on the net about how it improves over time, the more you use your prints. I nearly always use my right thumb to unlock.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Hi,

My contract is with my carrier is almost up, and they want me to pick a new phone for myself. Coming from the 4S and having iPads the 5S is a pretty obvious pick.

I would like some compelling reasons not to get the 5S, preferably from those who have it.

Thanks!

In your situation no reason not to buy it.
I was debated in the upgrade from an iPhone 5 but finally I did it.

----------

Wait 6 months for a iPhone 6, that seems compelling enough for me :)

Just a speculation on your side, because iPhone 6 could be 8-9 months from now.
And with the same logic you could wait another 12 months awaiting for the 6S that surely will be better ....

----------

There are endless threads on reboots, resprings and battery life. Should I post some links?:)

Battery life threads are mostly about iPhone 5, not the 5S.
As Ars Technica discovered in their iOS 7 review, iPhone 5 (and only iPhone 5 !) battery life took a big hit by iOS 7 ....

With iPhone 5S I have nothing to complain ....

----------

It's not theory, it's fact. A colleague actually has the phone, and it beats my 5s hands down. Those tests were carried out on a phone "out the box", they really do take a while to optimise battery life, but if you don't want to believe me that's fine.

Also you failed to post the 3G graph, which shows the 5s losing to most others in battery performance wise, which is the real world for most people who aren't on wifi and don't have/can't get 4G/LTE. The 5s isn't even on the graph! But the 5 does poorly in comparison.

And then there's actually using the phone, as a phone...

I go by real world experiences, not benchmark tests which are easy to manipulate and easy to get unfair comparisons from, different settings etc. Based on my colleagues phone, doing the same amount of browsing, Facebook, YouTube etc by the end of the day (both heavy-ish users) I'm on 20% or under, he's got 50% or more!
Maybe you have a defective unit .... I tend to give Anand much more credits than "me and my colleagues " comparison ....

Perth12

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2013
IMO one reason to not buy a 5s is that your paying for an upgrade. Part of the upgrade is a 64-bit processor and although this sounds alot better widespread apps have not been updated to 64 bit as of yet, so the "upgrade" feels a bit wasted. Only until developers update their apps of course.

dirtclod

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2011
I enjoy my iPhone 5S very much and have NO regrets about getting it. None. I had a 3G and then a Motorola Droid RAZR. Came back to the iPhone and felt immediately comfortable with it.

The 'S' versions of Apple's iPhones seem to be the most desirable ones so I'd go with the 5S for now and then when the 6S comes out you can upgrade to that one.

I'm about 98% satisfied with mine.

bigwig

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2005
One thing I don't like in the 6s rumors is the suggestion of bifurcated lines. If Apple did come out with a 5.5"+ model I probably won't want it, but I won't buy the smaller model either if it's just a 5s in drag. Basically, I want the A8 spec in the 4.5" or so form factor.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013
Apple enthusiast on a Apple forum = makes sense:rolleyes:
Android enthusiast on a Android forum = makes sense
Android enthusiast on a Apple forum = you fill in the blank;)

Actually I'm an enthusiast of both platforms.

I own a 27" 2012 imac, iPod touch, airport extreme, and a macbook pro. Pretty safe to say I love apple stuff. Owned iPhones in the past (including the 5) and sorry, but the phone is a sign of apples lacking innovation.

Plus I'd greatly prefer a jailbroken ipad to any other tablet, including android so yeah.....

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011

I own a 27" 2012 imac, iPod touch, airport extreme, and a macbook pro. Pretty safe to say I love apple stuff. Owned iPhones in the past (including the 5) and sorry, but the phone is a sign of apples lacking innovation.

Plus I'd greatly prefer a jailbroken ipad to any other tablet, including android so yeah.....

So what area is the iPhone lacking in innovation?

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy

Yes, the first 64 bit smartphone .... the first with an usable fingerprint sensor .... it surely lacks innovation :rolleyes:

----------

So what area is the iPhone lacking in innovation?

It doesn't run Android :D

Fanaticalism

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2013
You have an upgrade available and don't have the latest iPhone? Your carrier isn't giving you a reduced price on your monthly bill since you've already repaid them for your current phone. Upgrade to the 5S right now. It's a no brainer.

Depending on the carrier, not true. Att now has value plans for people out of contract.

MacRazySwe

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
I was in the same shoes as you are. I was offered an upgrade to a 5S, in case I was to renew my 2 year contract and pay an extra $10 every month.

I told them that I was not interested, and called their customer service to cancel my contract. They offered me all sorts of offers in order to keep me as a customer, and by the time I was done I received a 30 % discount on my line and signed up for 2 more years, while keeping the phone I have (4S).

Honestly, the 4S still works good. It's not blazing fast, but it still has decent performance, a good 8mp camera, HSDPA, and a nice solid feel. Seeing as I'm a student with limited resources, and tend to hold on to my devices for quite a while, I want to get the most out of my upgrade. In my case, I don't particularly care for the A7/M7 and TouchID. I will much prefer the next upgrade which is said to bring a larger screen than the 5S (which is what I lack the most).The A8/M8, TouchID, et.c. will be great bonuses. Mostly I look forward to a new design though, the 5S is way too similar to the 4/4S, which has been around since 2010.

It is a bit tempting to get the 5S, sure, but I'm sure waiting for the iPhone 6 will be worth it. :)

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Here's some numbers instead of your ridiculous "optimizations" theory.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7517/google-nexus-5-review/3

Oh! yum, a cherry - I might pick one too! :rolleyes:

60090.png

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I was in the same shoes as you are. I was offered an upgrade to a 5S, in case I was to renew my 2 year contract and pay an extra $10 every month.

I told them that I was not interested, and called their customer service to cancel my contract. They offered me all sorts of offers in order to keep me as a customer, and by the time I was done I received a 30 % discount on my line and signed up for 2 more years, while keeping the phone I have (4S).

Honestly, the 4S still works good. It's not blazing fast, but it still has decent performance, a good 8mp camera, HSDPA, and a nice solid feel. Seeing as I'm a student with limited resources, and tend to hold on to my devices for quite a while, I want to get the most out of my upgrade. In my case, I don't particularly care for the A7/M7 and TouchID. I will much prefer the next upgrade which is said to bring a larger screen than the 5S (which is what I lack the most).The A8/M8, TouchID, et.c. will be great bonuses. Mostly I look forward to a new design though, the 5S is way too similar to the 4/4S, which has been around since 2010.

It is a bit tempting to get the 5S, sure, but I'm sure waiting for the iPhone 6 will be worth it. :)

I wouldn't bother with the iPhone 6. If you are waiting might was well wait for the iPhone 7s. I hear it will have: 128 gig working set, retinal scanning, 1 week battery life, built in micro cell, fm receiver, 128 bit processor, 24 mp f 1.4 camera with 50-256000 ISO. It will be a technological tour de force.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
Why NOT upgrade to the 5S from a 4S:
You will need to buy a new charger (if you use more than one — maybe at different locations)
You will need to buy new iOS compatible devices (non-bluetooth) or at least a converter.
You might surf faster with LTE and thus use more data quickly

I upgraded from an iPhone 4 to the 5S...it is really quick, TouchID works great, screen slightly larger but not overly large.
I have lots of purchased Apps. I tested (and still have) a Samsung Galaxy S4. I liked the bigger screen for viewing movies, but the thing wasn’t as responsive as my iP4. It took some nice photos (some better than my iPhone) but then the other “cool” photo options just didn’t work. Then I’d have to buy some of the same Apps over again. And on ATT it would easily jump from WiFi to 4G or LTE even staying in the same location and I was charged for data when I shouldn’t have been. That would cause my battery to drain quickly.

MacRazySwe

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
I wouldn't bother with the iPhone 6. If you are waiting might was well wait for the iPhone 7s. I hear it will have: 128 gig working set, retinal scanning, 1 week battery life, built in micro cell, fm receiver, 128 bit processor, 24 mp f 1.4 camera with 50-256000 ISO. It will be a technological tour de force.

What you're basically saying is that if you can't have the latest and greatest NOW, why even bother, you may as well wait forever?

Responses like these are seriously f*cked up, and I get sick of seeing them here at MR. Yes, there is always going to be something better. There is however a difference in waiting 8 months and waiting forever, especially if you have functioning devices. People stating what you did, only prove that they have no sense of respect for money. Yes, we all want the latest and greatest, but sometimes you have to consider whether an upgrade is worth the cost or not. Costs are not only limited to monetary costs, but also opportunity costs, something to consider. For me the 5S isn't worth it, but the 6 most likely will be, so I'll happily wait 8 months.

Trust me however, thinking as you do will get your ass buried in debt before you know it. I for one, am happy to have all the toys/necessities I need in life, including a BMW and two bikes, while being a 20-year old student completely out of debt.

Edit: This is not so much coupled to the simple cost of an iPhone, but rather your whole line of thinking.

Last edited:

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
What you're basically saying is that if you can't have the latest and greatest NOW, why even bother, you may as well wait forever?

Responses like these are seriously f*cked up, and I get sick of seeing them here at MR. Yes, there is always going to be something better. There is however a difference in waiting 8 months and waiting forever, especially if you have functioning devices. People stating what you did, only prove that they have no sense of respect for money. Yes, we all want the latest and greatest, but sometimes you have to consider whether an upgrade is worth the cost or not. Costs are not only limited to monetary costs, but also opportunity costs, something to consider. For me the 5S isn't worth it, but the 6 most likely will be, so I'll happily wait 8 months.

Trust me however, thinking as you do will get your ass buried in debt before you know it. I for one, am happy to have all the toys/necessities I need in life, including a BMW and two bikes, while being a 20-year old student completely out of debt.

Edit: This is not so much coupled to the simple cost of an iPhone, but rather your whole line of thinking.

If your idea is holding off to get the latest in technology you will wait forever; and that is the point. "Well I'll just wait for the iphone 6, it will be bigger, the issues with 64 bit instability will be worked out, it will be faster, the battery will be bigger, etc". As soon as the iphone 6 is out, speculation will start on the 6S and the whole line of thinking: "Well I'll just wait for the iphone 6s, it will be bigger, the issues with 64 bit instability will be worked out, it will be faster, the battery will be bigger, etc", will just resurface.

Sorry you don't like my response, I ain't gonna change my style because you don't like what I posted.

You have no idea about me, but I don't have time to tell you because I'm late to get to the airport to go to my west coast vacation house.

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
If your idea is holding off to get the latest in technology you will wait forever; and that is the point.

His idea was to wait 8 months for the iPhone 6. I don't know how he could've said it any clearer than he did? I'm on the same boat as well. The 5S was such a marginal update over the 5 or even 4S that I did not even consider it. Besides, I want a bigger screen.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
His idea was to wait 8 months for the iPhone 6. I don't know how he could've said it any clearer than he did? I'm on the same boat as well. The 5S was such a marginal update over the 5 or even 4S that I did not even consider it. Besides, I want a bigger screen.

I didn't think the 5s was a marginal upgrade over the 5 or 4s I thought it was a significant upgrade.

Meh, going to wait for the 6s, as the 6 is likely to be a marginal upgrade over the 5s.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Not at all ....
It had a fingerprint scanner but was not well implemented, and they didn't use it again on newer models ...

I have to say that's not the impression I got at all from reviews.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/motorola-atrix-930919/review

"Perhaps the most impressive gimmick is at the top where the lock/unlock button also doubles up as a fingerprint scanner for unlocking the phone.

It actually works very well and you'll find yourself trying to fool it (unsuccessfully) with other fingers at some point. It may not be rigid enough security for Barack Obama, but it's good enough for most of us and is great for showing off down the pub."

http://www.trustedreviews.com/motorola-atrix_Mobile-Phone_review

"Pros
Fingerprint reader is useful"

Etc.

thehustleman

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2013

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/motorola-atrix-930919/review

"Perhaps the most impressive gimmick is at the top where the lock/unlock button also doubles up as a fingerprint scanner for unlocking the phone.

It actually works very well and you'll find yourself trying to fool it (unsuccessfully) with other fingers at some point. It may not be rigid enough security for Barack Obama, but it's good enough for most of us and is great for showing off down the pub."

"Pros

Etc.

Yep.

But they'll still insist it wasn't useful.

A lot of people on here will swear nothing is good until apple does it, then it is great.

Being objective is a lost cause on here.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy

"Pros

Etc.

Yes, so useful that they got rid of it in the next model ....

----------

Yep.

But they'll still insist it wasn't useful.

A lot of people on here will swear nothing is good until apple does it, then it is great.

Being objective is a lost cause on here.
Oooh Motorola Atrix was a real commercial success .... Nowadays every motorola smartphone sports a fingerprint sensor .... Errrr, NOT !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.