Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:21 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Widens Lead Over Samsung in U.S. Smartphone Race in 2013

Research firm NPD today announced the results of its latest Connected Home Report, showing that Apple increased its share of the U.S. smartphone installed user base by seven percentage points, from 35 percent in the fourth quarter of 2012 to 42 percent in the same quarter of 2013. Second-place Samsung increased its share of the market by a smaller margin from 22 percent to 26 percent, while other major manufacturers saw their shares drop.

NPD's data, which is based on a survey of roughly 5,000 consumers, is in close alignment with recent data from comScore that showed Apple with 41.2 percent of the market and Samsung at 26.0 percent in the September-November period.

Both firms track installed user base rather than sales, offering a more realistic picture of real-world usage but which is slower to react to shifting market trends given typical handset lifespans. Apple has shown steady increases under these studies over the past several years, even as Android has experienced significant growth. One recent study of trends by Asymco's Horace Dediu has predicted that Apple's share of installed user base in the U.S. will peak at 68 percent in 2017 when the smartphone market hits a saturation point at 90 percent of the country's population.

While Apple's performance remains strong in the U.S. and several other countries, Android has had more success attracting customers in many other markets around the world. Data from Kantar Worldpanel for the August-October period pegged Apple's share of the market in many European countries and China in the 15-20 percent range, with iOS barely registering in some countries such as Spain.

Article Link: Apple Widens Lead Over Samsung in U.S. Smartphone Race in 2013
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:23 AM   #2
SPUY767
macrumors 68000

Apple Releases new phone which during the time period outsells Samsung:

Tech Media Reaction: . . .

Samsung Releases new phone which during the time period outsells Apple:

Tech Media Reaction: Oh my god Apple is dead within the year!
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:23 AM   #3
proline
macrumors 6502

Can't wait to hear people tell us how the most profitable smart phone market in the world doesn't matter
proline is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:23 AM   #4
Sky Blue

BlackBerry shrinking...
Sky Blue is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:23 AM   #5
Klae17
macrumors 6502a

You may have switched over to Samsung and Android, but welcome back.

P.S. Wait 'til the 4.5 iPhone 6 comes out. Slaughter!
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:23 AM   #6
cymerc
macrumors member

But.. but.. but... Android is winning!
cymerc is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:24 AM   #7
efktd
macrumors regular

eat it S4.
efktd is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:26 AM   #8
JaySoul
macrumors 65816

Reckon Apple mainly care about the USA and China now.
JaySoul is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:27 AM   #9
chrmjenkins
macrumors 603

They've finally saturated the carriers. Now any position swap can be seen as more pure userbase movement then a carrier phenomenon.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:33 AM   #10
proline
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klae17 View Post
You may have switched over to Samsung and Android, but welcome back.

P.S. Wait 'til the 4.5 iPhone 6 comes out. Slaughter!
Yeah, considering that having a display larger than 4" seems to be about the only advantage Samsung has that anyone cares about, and that said advantage will be long since removed by this time next year, the tech media ought to be shifting the narrative to Samsung's impending doom. And by doom I mean that they will continue to do fine at their core strength- selling hardware at 2% profit margins in developing countries. Their days of making phones with Apple-like prices and margins are numbered.
proline is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:33 AM   #11
Bare
macrumors regular

Aw, remember when everybody had a Blackberry? Don't miss that.
Bare is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:33 AM   #12
MrXiro
macrumors 68020

I thought the iPhone was failing... silly NPD.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:35 AM   #13
LagunaSol
Banned

I hear Samsung makes nice refrigerators.
LagunaSol is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:40 AM   #14
daneoni
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaSol View Post
I hear Samsung makes nice refrigerators.
And TVs too...when you're not playing their panel lottery that is.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:41 AM   #15
PollyK
Banned

But.... But... 3.5 inch screen is the perfect size. Why do the blind loyalist now want a 4+ inch screen. The loyalist said a 4 inch screen couldn't be used with one hand. But on the iPhone it's possible. They said 4.3 inches was too big too, now they say 4.7 inch is the sweet spot. Why does the loyalist's goal posts keep moving?
They said a cheaper iPhone will kill Android, but somehow it didn't work out that way. They all laughed at the bigger screens, but now they follow Samsung who has made bigger screens and smaller bezels since the beginning.
PollyK is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:41 AM   #16
luckydcxx
macrumors 6502a

but ...

Samsung Widens Lead Over Apple in US Washer/Dryer Race in 2013
luckydcxx is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:42 AM   #17
jkichline
macrumors regular

All they need to do...

So all Apple needs to do is come out with the edge-to-edge 4.5" or 5" screen and then offer a trade-in program for any old Android device. You know there are millions of those laying around doing nothing. Just drag your clunker in for a shiny new 6c.
jkichline is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:42 AM   #18
BuffaloTF
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by efktd View Post
eat it S4.
I think they are eating it... And by "it" I mean the other Android OEMs market share. 26% is wildly successful still. Combined, Apple and Samsung they're closing in on 3 out of every 4 smartphones owned being 2 brands, 2 visions. That's incredible in general, and I don't think they'll need to cry themselves to sleep being on the short end of that number. They'll probably be over that 75% mark in a years time.
BuffaloTF is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:42 AM   #19
paul4339
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrmjenkins View Post
They've finally saturated the carriers. Now any position swap can be seen as more pure userbase movement then a carrier phenomenon.
Smartphones had about a 62% penetration into the mobile market as of Sept 2013 (comScore). In Asymco's charts it has around 75% in 2014... there's still some growth, but it's entering into the later stages soon.

paul4339 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:42 AM   #20
Renzatic
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUY767 View Post
Apple Releases new phone which during the time period outsells Samsung:

Tech Media Reaction: . . .

Samsung Releases new phone which during the time period outsells Apple:

Tech Media Reaction: Oh my god Apple is dead within the year!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrXiro View Post
I thought the iPhone was failing... silly NPD.
I have never once seen a tech site flat out state Apple was dying a slow, grueling death. About the worst you see are claims that they're no longer the only player in the market, and they might need to up their game if they want to stay competitive in the long term.

Building a culture of victimhood around a brand is a sad, sad thing, people.
Renzatic is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:43 AM   #21
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Clearly evidence that iPhone users are sick of the current "small screen" format & are holding out for a larger screen or have defected to the S4. (yes, being sarcastic.)
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:44 AM   #22
teknikal90
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by proline View Post
Yeah, considering that having a display larger than 4" seems to be about the only advantage Samsung has that anyone cares about, and that said advantage will be long since removed by this time next year, the tech media ought to be shifting the narrative to Samsung's impending doom. And by doom I mean that they will continue to do fine at their core strength- selling hardware at 2% profit margins in developing countries. Their days of making phones with Apple-like prices and margins are numbered.
no. also, cost
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:45 AM   #23
jkichline
macrumors regular

The issue...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PollyK View Post
But.... But... 3.5 inch screen is the perfect size. Why do the blind loyalist now want a 4+ inch screen. The loyalist said a 4 inch screen couldn't be used with one hand. But on the iPhone it's possible. They said 4.3 inches was too big too, now they say 4.7 inch is the sweet spot. Why does the loyalist's goal posts keep moving?
They said a cheaper iPhone will kill Android, but somehow it didn't work out that way. They all laughed at the bigger screens, but now they follow Samsung who has made bigger screens and smaller bezels since the beginning.
The issue is being able to use the phone in one hand with your thumb. I can barely do that with an iPhone 5, but love my 4s for that reason alone. So the trick is making the larger screen usable in one hand. I think Apple could do this by changing screen modes, making the entire screen the bezel. For instance, imagine a 1280x720 pixel iPhone, but when in normal one hand use (aka not full screen) the current 640x1136 screen is displayed with the rest blotted out with e-ink. When you go to play a movie or a game, the screen usage shifts and the full screen is used.
jkichline is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:48 AM   #24
SVTmaniac
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupa Chupa View Post
Clearly evidence that iPhone users are sick of the current "small screen" format & are holding out for a larger screen or have defected to the S4. (yes, being sarcastic.)
You do realize Samsung isn't the only phones with larger than a 4" screen, right? S4, LG, G2, Nexus 5... the list goes on. The problem with this graph is Apple is the only manufacturer selling a phone with iOS on it. Look how many companies sell Android phones. A more fair comparison would be Apple vs. Android phones. If you add all the other companies that make Android phones up, it clearly blows Apple away. I'm sure if other comanies made phones with iOS on it, it would not look nearly as skewed as it does here.
SVTmaniac is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:50 AM   #25
TWSS37
macrumors 6502a

Thread like these summary:

Reports that show Apple "ahead": GO APPLE!!!!!!!!!

Reports that show Apple "behind": These reports don't mean anything.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion