Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Just received my Wacom Bamboo tablet, And I'm looking for a decent app to use with it for sketching, painting etc. I'm no artist so don't really want to spend ££$$$ on a professional package, just something with decent features that will allow me to get the hang of my new tablet....Any suggestions much appreciated!

Last edited:

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
Just received my Wacom Bamboo tablet, And I'm looking for a decent app to use with it for sketching, painting etc. I'm no artist so don't really want to spend ££$$$ on a professional package, just something with decent features that will allow me to get the hang of my new tablet....Any suggestions much appreciated!

Hi,

I downloaded SketchBook Express & SketchBook Copic Edition for free from the MAS, I think they're great with my Wacom Bamboo. Pixelmator is terrific and not terribly expensive. I have that too, but tbh, I use PhotoShop a lot more.

SketchBook Express was the easiest for me to use in the beginning, in adjusting to the tablet.

Have fun! :)
(I drew the attached with SBX. And a glass of wine helped too --i was getting hand cramps :rolleyes:)

Attachments

• Rocky receives Letters-1.jpg
    Rocky receives Letters-1.jpg
    308.5 KB · Views: 564
Last edited:

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Hi,

I downloaded SketchBook Express & SketchBook Copic Edition for free from the MAS, I think they're great with my Wacom Bamboo. Pixelmator is terrific and not terribly expensive. I have that too, but tbh, I use PhotoShop a lot more.

SketchBook Express was the easiest for me to use in the beginning, in adjusting to the tablet.

Have fun! :)
(I drew the attached with SBX. And a glass of wine helped too --i was getting hand cramps :rolleyes:)

Wow! That's a great drawing, and thanks for the tips on the Apps...I have sketchbook for my iPad, so may give it a go on my iMac...if I ever produce anything as good as your dog I'll be delighted...:)

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Nice drawing! I'll have to look at the Sketchbook software as well. I love the iPad app, but I'd much prefer to use the Wacom tablet of course. I'll have to give it a try. :)

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Run into some resolution issues with the free version of Sketchbook...The circular tool control menu will not display correctly...I get half of it only...I can move it from corner to corner top and bottom, but still only get half of the controls I need.

Before I leap in and buy the full version, can anybody suggest a better alternative, one that will display correctly 2560x 1440? I don't really want to have to change the screen res. all the time, and the paid version is £30+ in the UK....$50...So before spending I'll give it one more shot for some ideas....Otherwise I guess Photoshop is the only way?

I have a big grudge with Adobe, and would prefer not to buy from them if a viable alternative exists.

Last edited:

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
Run into some resolution issues with the free version of Sketchbook...The circular tool control menu will not display correctly...I get half of it only...I can move it from corner to corner top and bottom, but still only get half of the controls I need.

Before I leap in and buy the full version, can anybody suggest a better alternative, one that will display correctly 2560x 1440? I don't really want to have to change the screen res. all the time, and the paid version is £30+ in the UK....$50...So before spending I'll give it one more shot for some ideas....Otherwise I guess Photoshop is the only way?

I have a big grudge with Adobe, and would prefer not to buy from them if a viable alternative exists.

Hmmm, I didn't have that problem, but I have a 21.5" iMac with 1920x1080.
My Wacom Bamboo worked better by not installing the accompanying CD --and downloading the latest Drivers from the Wacom site directly. A BIG difference in the way the pen responded. (Wacom is notorious for buggy drivers apparently.) In fact, I had to do a Search & Destroy to remove all traces of Wacom-anything from my iMac, then download the newest driver from the Wacom site. HUGE improvement. But yours is the very newest Bamboo tablet, it may be a lot better out of the gate.

Pixelmator is still priced at $29.99 in the MAS. It looks and feels more native to Mac than PhotoShop. You'll probably be happier with that than PhotoShop. Every time I open Pixelmator I feel like I've poked Adobe in the nose. :)

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Hmmm, I didn't have that problem, but I have a 21.5" iMac with 1920x1080.
My Wacom Bamboo worked better by not installing the accompanying CD --and downloading the latest Drivers from the Wacom site directly. A BIG difference in the way the pen responded. (Wacom is notorious for buggy drivers apparently.) In fact, I had to do a Search & Destroy to remove all traces of Wacom-anything from my iMac, then download the newest driver from the Wacom site. HUGE improvement. But yours is the very newest Bamboo tablet, it may be a lot better out of the gate.

Pixelmator is still priced at $29.99 in the MAS. It looks and feels more native to Mac than PhotoShop. You'll probably be happier with that than PhotoShop. Every time I open Pixelmator I feel like I've poked Adobe in the nose. :)

I'm being guided by an expert here, but this is often the case...I did use the DVD, I will remove and start from scratch...Pixelmator in the UK is £20...I don't mind buying, just want something that works...:) I could install the Wacom on my Pro without the DVD, then go from there...I'm planning on a wipe of my iMac anyway, and now seems like a good idea...Thanks for your help...:) Don't go away, I will still need advice..:)

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
I tried without any driver installation at all...Got nothing apart from ink..So from the Wacom download page (see attached) I chose the bottom option...As far as I can tell It's the same as the DVD although an updated driver.

Grumbling, puts hand in wallet / swats moths...And buy's one...Although I'm not sure which...both of the freebies behave in exactly the same way on my <BP as they do on my iMac...I have to drop the screen resolution to see the controls....I'm not mean honestly...:) but I don't want to pay out and then find the same thing happens with a fully up to date paid for app!

Sossity

macrumors 65816
May 12, 2010

I bought an older mac/pc version of artrage deluxe from ebay awhile ago for about US 20.00.

the current version now, has you buy either for a mac, or pc, & it is expensive, so I got the cheaper older version I think it was 2.5, on a single mac/pc disc.

Sossity

macrumors 65816
May 12, 2010
Will it work with High res. Screens?

I think so, I use it on my 2010 macbook pro that is connected to a 20 inch matte apple cinema display, that is 1680 x 1050, dont know if that is "high resolution" but my copy of artrage looks good to me on this screen.

mangoman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2002
Second Floor
Went digging for drawing/sketching apps last weekend, after buying Wacom's new pressure sensitive stylus. First, love the stylus. Second, the drawing apps:

• SketchBook Pro is still very good, especially if you need all the bells and whistles (including layers)
  • FiftyThree's Paper is nice, but no brush size support makes it less-than-optimal for me
  • Wacom's Bamboo app: very similar to Paper, but with brush size support
  • Noteshelf's pens, markers etc. are great. A nice balance between Sketchbook Pro's hyper-detailed tool palette, and Paper and Bamboo's super simple approach.

So what am I using now? Wacom's Bamboo app for the quick sketch stuff. And SketchBook Pro when I need to layer something.

Last edited:

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
At the moment my favourite is Manga Studio. Not expensive but more powerful than sketchbook pro.

http://manga.smithmicro.com/mangastudio5/

Here's an enthusiastic second for Manga Studio 5 too. I heard it's currently on sale for half price on Amazon ($30-39 depending if you're using a PC or Mac to check Amazon...)

Then another $5 for Frenden's MS5 brush set and it's absolutely fluid on a tablet and feels like real-life drawing. MS5 has an incredible brush engine.

mangoman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2002
Second Floor
Just discovered the app, Procreate, over the weekend. Best drawing app I've found yet. Intuitive, and rich with functionality without being as clunky and confusing as SketchBook Pro. Immediately moved Procreate to the top of my list.

danbeebee

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
Just discovered the app, Procreate, over the weekend. Best drawing app I've found yet. Intuitive, and rich with functionality without being as clunky and confusing as SketchBook Pro. Immediately moved Procreate to the top of my list.

I agree.

This chap, Kyle Lambert, uses Procreate. There's lots more about him online but here's his website for some inspiration using Procreate.

Kyle Lambert Webste

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.