Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
So my contract doesn't end until December, but I'm really thinking about switching to the HTC One after my contract ends. What are the benefits of the HTC One over the iPhone?

TheAnvil

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2013
So my contract doesn't end until December, but I'm really thinking about switching to the HTC One after my contract ends. What are the benefits of the HTC One over the iPhone?

There will be [at least] another generation of devices from every manufacturer by December. Way too early to be asking that question.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I switched from an iPhone 4s to the HTC One in July. I wanted the larger screen and the ability to run widgets. However, the battery life is a little worse and the camera is average at best. But overall, I'm happy with the switch.

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007

I find your question odd. A full year is a lifetime in the smartphone game. By December 2014 you might be tempted by other devices.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
I switched from an iPhone 4s to the HTC One in July. I wanted the larger screen and the ability to run widgets. However, the battery life is a little worse and the camera is average at best. But overall, I'm happy with the switch.

Thanks. I've been looking at the HTC one for some time now. But since it took forever to come to Verizon, I got the iPhone instead. I think I just want something different now, iOS is starting to bore me...

----------

what he means is the HTC One (2) will be out by then.

I know. But right now I want to know about the HTC one....

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
The 2014 HTC one will then be out and you can compare it to the iPhone 6.

Comparing current models the HTC offers android and a weak camera but with a gorgeous 4.7" screen.

IPhone 5s offers you iOS, a great camera but a smaller lower ppi screen, albeit still great quality.

That's it.....

housry23

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2013
Thanks. I've been looking at the HTC one for some time now. But since it took forever to come to Verizon, I got the iPhone instead. I think I just want something different now, iOS is starting to bore me...

----------

I know. But right now I want to know about the HTC one....

I'll bet you could trade someone your iPhone for their vzw HTC One. Put it on Craigslist and offer to trade. Just make sure to meet the person in a Verizon store to make sure everything is legit. Then, you keep your upgrade and can go back to iPhone or get whatever flagship device you want.

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Well, if you are bored of iOS, you really don't need this question answered. You should just go for the switch, because Android is not iOS. The build quality seems quite similar. People like HTC One in the hand better due to the rounded back and the bit more heft.

Of course, if you want something even more different, you may try Nokia's Lumia phones. They are very solid and the interface is nothing like Android or iOS. The advantage of HTC One is that if you are someone that gets bored easily, you can use Android and customise many things. You can also install Ubuntu mobileOS and try that as that is nothing like iOS and a bit different from Android as well. I hear you can now dock Ubuntu mobileOS to a screen and it will load up the desktop version. That sounds pretty cool. Convergent tech is always interesting to me.

tayker

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2009
Went from an iPhone 4S to the HTC One. It took me awhile to get used to it, but I like it now.

What I like:
- The screen is crisp (hard to see the pixels)
- Great sound
- Blinkfeed - I use it for traffic and weather updates via Twitter (Love this)
- Minimal keys (only power and volume buttons)
- It looks like Apple designed it (design quality is awesome

What I don't like:
- Even if you have your ringer silenced pressing the volume controls will either turn it back on or put it on vibrate.
- Width of screen (I have medium meaty hands, so some things require 2 hands to work with it
- You have to root the device to change DNS server IPs

All of that being said, HTC should be releasing a new phone soon. I know Samsung is getting ready to release info about the S5. If you can't wait then I think it's a solid phone.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Hardware advantages
+Better design, iPhone 5s is just a rehash
+BoomSound
+2.1 MP front facing camera
+Bigger screen and at Full HD
+WiFi ac
+IR blaster

Software advantages
+BlinkFeed, iOS has same ol' row of icons
+Zoe gallery and camera
+Android gives you more freedom and customization. No stranglehold from iTunes or any locked up ecosystem.

The only advantages I ever see from iPhones over most Androids is generally camera quality, smaller size if they prefer it, battery life because iOS lacks true multi-tasking, and games. And iPhones generally look nicer than other phones except HTC outclassed Apple last year in smartphone design.

I would only want an iPhone 5s strictly if I used the camera on my phone alot. I don't. So the advantages of an HTC One far outweighs going back to the same boring designs of Apple. I feel iOS7 just copied certain elements of other platforms including closing apps by swiping up which is a ripoff from webOS. But I can imagine millions of others wanting iOS because they just feel it is better or perhaps stuck with Apple for life because they invested heavily on their ecosystem.

verpeiler

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2013
Munich, Germany
Hardware advantages
+Better design, iPhone 5s is just a rehash
+BoomSound
+2.1 MP front facing camera
+Bigger screen and at Full HD
+WiFi ac
+IR blaster

Software advantages
+BlinkFeed, iOS has same ol' row of icons
+Zoe gallery and camera
+Android gives you more freedom and customization. No stranglehold from iTunes or any locked up ecosystem.

The only advantages I ever see from iPhones over most Androids is generally camera quality, smaller size if they prefer it, battery life because iOS lacks true multi-tasking, and games. And iPhones generally look nicer than other phones except HTC outclassed Apple last year in smartphone design.

I would only want an iPhone 5s strictly if I used the camera on my phone alot. I don't. So the advantages of an HTC One far outweighs going back to the same boring designs of Apple. I feel iOS7 just copied certain elements of other platforms including closing apps by swiping up which is a ripoff from webOS. But I can imagine millions of others wanting iOS because they just feel it is better or perhaps stuck with Apple for life because they invested heavily on their ecosystem.

Well said! I just have to add that Sense (the HTC android skin) is very slick and smooth, no comparison to Samsung's touchwiz crap. Apart from vanilla (or GPE) android it's my favorite manufacturer's skin. I don't use a launcher since it fits all my needs.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I prefer sense 5 over stock android, and yes vastly superior to Touchwiz.

I'm surprised that there has been no 3rd party launcher available that can mimic it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.