Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As outlined in our feature highlighting Apple's possible product plans for 2014, a number of rumors have suggested Apple may be working on a 12.9-inch iPad model that could launch later this year. The company is allegedly accelerating development on this device in response to Samsung's introduction of two competing 12.2-inch tablet models, with market sources cited by Digitimes claiming that Apple is now prepping the so-called "iPad Pro" for a late Q3 2014 launch at the earliest.

12_9_ipad_ipads_dark-800x450.jpg
Mockup of 12.9-inch iPad next to iPad Air and iPad mini
The claim that Apple's timeline is motivated by a perceived need to match Samsung's recent introductions seems doubtful given that Apple has routinely taken its time coming to market even in the face of competitors rushing to beat Apple to its own rumored products, but at a minimum the claimed launch target offers one more data point for those trying to predict a release. Some sources have predicted a launch as soon as early this year but such a timeline seems very unlikely given the absence of part leaks and other substantiating evidence.

Earlier reports suggested the 12.9-inch iPad Pro could be a hybrid device that would appeal to enterprise customers looking for a machine that bridges the gap between tablet and notebook. Based on display panels currently under development in the supply chain, research firm DisplaySearch believes that the iPad Pro could ship with a 12.9-inch Retina display with a resolution of 2732 x 2048 and 265 ppi.

Besides the iPad Pro, Digitimes' sources unsurprisingly also claim Apple is working on new 7.9-inch and 9.7-inch models to replace the current Retina iPad mini and iPad Air. These models will likely debut in Q3 2014, keeping with Apple's current late fall release schedule for the iPad. Demand for the iPad is expected to be strong again in 2014 with the company selling between 80 and 90 million units over the course of the year.

Article Link: Apple Reportedly Targeting Late Q3 2014 for 12.9-Inch 'iPad Pro' Launch

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Makes sense on one hand, since their iPad announcements are typically 3Q, but by the same token, that's an awfully long time to wait

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
so will this larger iAd Pro be the weight of the iPad 4? larger but with the lightweight style of the iPad Air.

ZOZO

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2013
Well, I was about to be against it, but then I tried holding my MacBook Air's screen as an iPad, and... HOLY CRAP I WANT IT!!!!!

musika

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2010
New York
They could go Samsung-style and put an earpiece on it so that people would stop asking for big iPhones.

Samsung-Galaxy-Note-8.0-1.jpg

BlendedFrog

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2010
Sorry but I will believe it when I see it. Hasn't the iWatch been targeted for Q3 launch for the last 2-3 years?

MachineShedFred

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2010
Is there anyone who is really looking at the full size iPad and saying "Man, if this thing was only 30% bigger and more uncomfortable to use for extended periods..."

I'm guessing not. Anyone thought that a HiDPI 12" panel might be headed for MacBook Air?

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
The claim that Apple's timeline is motivated by a perceived need to match Samsung's recent introductions seems doubtful given that Apple has routinely taken its time coming to market even in the face of competitors rushing to beat Apple to its own rumored products, but at a minimum the claimed launch target offers one more data point for those trying to predict a release. Some sources have predicted a launch as soon as early this year but such a timeline seems very unlikely given the absence of part leaks and other substantiating evidence.

So why is this on MR's front page then, other than blatant click bait that will soon be full up with trolling. :rolleyes:

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
I think this thing will herald the first step into merging iOS and OSX into one operating system, as much as people don't want that to happen.

If it ever does happen, I hope the OS's lovechild will retain OS X's open-ness, because a closed, controlled system like iOS in a desktop PC environment gets a big fat no from me.

SvK

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
San Diego
I think this thing will herald the first step into merging iOS and OSX into one operating system, as much as people don't want that to happen.

If it ever does happen, I hope the OS's lovechild will retain OS X's open-ness, because a closed, controlled system like iOS in a desktop PC environment gets a big fat no from me.

Ugh

g0odfr1end102

macrumors 6502
Dec 5, 2010
Montreal, Canada
I remember reading Tim Cook teasing a number of "new product categories" for 2014. With CES just over, Apple is probably going to take its time. I for one think the keynotes will be very close to one another, following the usual timeframe

–iPhone 6, new iPods (?): September 2014
–iPad Mini 3, iPad Air 2, iPad Pro: October 2014
–iWatch: November 2014, in order for it to hit the shelves by the shopping season

This is going to be a very, VERY big year for Apple :D

Kobayagi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
I remember reading Tim Cook teasing a number of "new product categories" for 2014. With CES just over, Apple is probably going to take its time. I for one think the keynotes will be very close to one another, following the usual timeframe

–iPhone 6, new iPods (?): September 2014
–iPad Mini 3, iPad Air 2, iPad Pro: October 2014
–iWatch: November 2014, in order for it to hit the shelves by the shopping season

This is going to be a very, VERY big year for Apple :D

Yeah, huge.. All the same products with small spec bumps. And the same trick they have been doing for years, stretch the screen a bit more and call it revolutionary. :p

Oh and that watch I don't really care about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.