Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
ack_mac said:
Apple will email you the serial number when it ships (and they charge your credit card). I ordered mine last week and should get it tomorrow or Friday. My serial number starts with G8541xxxxxx. G8 is in California, and sure enough punching my serial number into Apple's support page says it is a Mac Mini (Late 2005) as oppossed to Mac Mini. In addition, I found another post where a user stated that he received the new one a week ago and his serial number started with G8540xxxxxx... I will let you know :)

I can barely stand the wait...

Just curious.. by "in California" do you mean to say these units are made in USA as opposed to China for the "YMSXXXX" Minis??

Any chance that it is possible to get a PB that is made in the USA? :D

ack_mac

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2005
Northern VA (DC)
generik said:
Just curious.. by "in California" do you mean to say these units are made in USA as opposed to China for the "YMSXXXX" Minis??

Any chance that it is possible to get a PB that is made in the USA? :D

It is my understanding that my Mini was assembled in the USA (California) based on the serial number. I know that it was built to order, and was shipped from Anaheim, CA.

I am not sure where PB's are assembled... Just out of curiosity, does it make a difference to you?

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
ack_mac said:
It is my understanding that my Mini was assembled in the USA (California) based on the serial number. I know that it was built to order, and was shipped from Anaheim, CA.

I am not sure where PB's are assembled... Just out of curiosity, does it make a difference to you?

Just a little

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
ack_mac said:
Ahhh... I see....

I would not let this stop you from buying a Mac though.. You should search the net about problems with Dell or HP :D

For Dell and especially HP if you get no problems you should say 10 hail maries and perhaps give a heavy tithe to the local church.. that in itself is a miracle of God! :D

EdgeVox

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2005
Austin, Tx
I sincerely couldn't wait any longer. Ordered all this Tuesday 10/25. I've got tickets to go see U2 this Friday so that'll help make the waiting a bit more bearable.

MAC MINI 1.42 SD CTO

Part Number Z0CH
Price-$885.00
Quantity-1

1 GB DDR333 - 1 DIMMM-065-5913
100 GB ULTRA ATA DRIVE-065-5912
Superdrive (CD-RW/DVD±RW)-065-5903
Bluetooth + Airport Extreme-065-5908
56k V.92 Modem-065-5905
Mac OS X-065-5894
None-065-4683
Country Kit-065-5893

Along with: iSight, Airport Express Base Station, Wired Keyboard and Mighty Mouse. All 2-Day Shipping with FedEx (which kind of worries me after reading recent horror stories.) I will definitely keep y'all updated as to what model I get. Oh and I set up a HP PSC 1510 All In One Printer, Scanner and Copier which fits the Mini Mac aesthetically. All this with a LG L1722P LCD monitor. I'm really really excited considering that this is my first major computer purchase since upgrading my 1998 Dell Dimension for memory last spring....

Xavier

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
That's a real awesome setup that you have on the way. I have an all - in - one HP printer myself a 6100 model and iSight. I wish you all the best with the delivery. Will look forward to your update.

super mini (mac

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2005
UK, ENGLAND
EdgeVox said:
I sincerely couldn't wait any longer. Ordered all this Tuesday 10/25. I've got tickets to go see U2 this Friday so that'll help make the waiting a bit more bearable.

MAC MINI 1.42 SD CTO

Part Number Z0CH
Price-$885.00
Quantity-1

1 GB DDR333 - 1 DIMMM-065-5913
100 GB ULTRA ATA DRIVE-065-5912
Superdrive (CD-RW/DVD±RW)-065-5903
Bluetooth + Airport Extreme-065-5908
56k V.92 Modem-065-5905
Mac OS X-065-5894
None-065-4683
Country Kit-065-5893

Along with: iSight, Airport Express Base Station, Wired Keyboard and Mighty Mouse. All 2-Day Shipping with FedEx (which kind of worries me after reading recent horror stories.) I will definitely keep y'all updated as to what model I get. Oh and I set up a HP PSC 1510 All In One Printer, Scanner and Copier which fits the Mini Mac aesthetically. All this with a LG L1722P LCD monitor. I'm really really excited considering that this is my first major computer purchase since upgrading my 1998 Dell Dimension for memory last spring....

Xavier

how much did you pay for the printer. i got the hp psc 1610 which should be £100 in the UK (about 130$) but for some reason i got a good deal and paid £60 (about 80$) on the apple store.

hope you got a good deal

budugu

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2004
Boston, MA
How can i distinguish the new mac mini?

I plan to head to the store to get the mac mini some time tomorrow. Can you help me how i can get to know if the the mac mini is late 2005 (newer version) or not. I plan to buy the 699$ macmini with superdrive. Do you guys think that these improvements are worth 90$? (the 1.42 w/SD is arround 625$ (on amazon) vs 680+30$ tax)

thanks for your help!

ack_mac

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2005
Northern VA (DC)
ack_mac said:
I went ahead and ordered my first Mac today (top of the line mac mini with 1GB RAM). I was really happy to see the 1GB RAM dropped to $100 (I paid $90 with my discount)... My shipping time looks to be about 5days (they are still processing the order but it looks like it will be at least 5 business days). I really hope this is the updated mini, and I feel pretty confident that I am getting one of the updated ones. I will let you know...

C'mon Apple, ship me my mini!

Well folks, I am typing this post from my brand new mini.. Sure enough, my gamble paid off and I have the updated mini (1.5GHZ, 64MB VRAM, 8X DL Superdrive, 5400rpm 80GB HD, etc)...

I added 1GB of RAM and this silent runner really flies with numerous windows open..

I love my new Mac Mini... Tiger OS rocks!

EdgeVox

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2005
Austin, Tx
ack_mac said:
Well folks, I am typing this post from my brand new mini.. Sure enough, my gamble paid off and I have the updated mini (1.5GHZ, 64MB VRAM, 8X DL Superdrive, 5400rpm 80GB HD, etc)...

I added 1GB of RAM and this silent runner really flies with numerous windows open..

I love my new Mac Mini... Tiger OS rocks!

Good for you! I just got an Invoice from Apple stating that my Mini will has an estimated delivery date of Friday October 28 at 4:30pm. And it also listed the serial number to my Mac Mini as G8543XXXXXX which is listed as "Mac mini (Late 2005)" according to the Support page and if I understand this correctly, means it was assembled in California and will be delivered the 43rd week of 2005. Unfortunately I'll be in Houston on Friday camping out for the U2 Vertigo show...what does all this mean? You guessed it, EdgeVox could be having the BEST WEEK EVER!! (just a little self-indulgent, just a little bit)

Xavier

- Oh and super mini (mac, in regards to the HP PSC 1510 All In One Printer, I paid $99 dollars for it with free shipping on Amazon.com)

md11

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2005
Europe
Cool, folks in the USA get delivered the right stuff. Would be time to switch the apple-store page; as I don't wanna take the risk of ordering in Europe..
md11

ack_mac

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2005
Northern VA (DC)
EdgeVox said:
Good for you! I just got an Invoice from Apple stating that my Mini will has an estimated delivery date of Friday October 28 at 4:30pm. And it also listed the serial number to my Mac Mini as G8543XXXXXX which is listed as "Mac mini (Late 2005)" according to the Support page and if I understand this correctly, means it was assembled in California and will be delivered the 43rd week of 2005. Unfortunately I'll be in Houston on Friday camping out for the U2 Vertigo show...what does all this mean? You guessed it, EdgeVox could be having the BEST WEEK EVER!! (just a little self-indulgent, just a little bit)

Xavier

- Oh and super mini (mac, in regards to the HP PSC 1510 All In One Printer, I paid $99 dollars for it with free shipping on Amazon.com)

Yeah, yours looks like it ships from Anaheim and it also looks like you got the updated one! Congrats! Trust me, you will not be dissapointed. When I set my mini down next to the massive PC tower that it is replacing, I actually laughed out loud! How did Apple pack such a great little machine in such a small package...

I love U2 also.. I saw them here in DC for their last tour and it was one of the best concerts I had ever been to. Bono really knows how to put on a great show... You are having a good week...

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
I'm very happy for everyone above. Hope that all goes according to plane.
Sounds awesome.

What does #YM5314XXXXX represent?

extramural

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2005
wdlove said:
What does #YM5314XXXXX represent?

The Mac mini was assembled in YM (China) in (200)5 during week 31 and it's production number starts with 4.

Since the late 20005 (updated) Mac minis don't appear to have been produce prior to xx535xxxxxx - i.e. week 35 - then this'll be on 'old' Mac mini.

sunchaser

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2005
How about performance?

Can anyone who has been lucky in the lottery getting a new 1.5/9200 w/ 64M please comment on the performance - specifically driving a 20" display (apple) and running some of the recent games? I am not looking for a great powerhouse, just want some indication how the new mini performs from a day to day perspective with some games. i am upgrading from a G3/600 -- so I'm sue it will still seem great... but just curious if I should go for a PM G5 1.8 refurb for a few hundred more-- even though it is such a large beast comparatively.

ack_mac

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2005
Northern VA (DC)
sunchaser said:
Can anyone who has been lucky in the lottery getting a new 1.5/9200 w/ 64M please comment on the performance - specifically driving a 20" display (apple) and running some of the recent games? I am not looking for a great powerhouse, just want some indication how the new mini performs from a day to day perspective with some games. i am upgrading from a G3/600 -- so I'm sue it will still seem great... but just curious if I should go for a PM G5 1.8 refurb for a few hundred more-- even though it is such a large beast comparatively.

I have not bought any games for my updated mini yet, but I can tell you this, I have no problem editing photos in iPhoto while listening to music in iTunes and having at least two web browsers open.

From what I have read on a few other message boards, the mini will play most games, but for games such as Halo and Doom3 expect to use the lowest graphics settings and the game can get choppy when there are a lot of players hitting the servers. You definitely want a GIG of RAM...

What games are you looking to play? If you play games a lot, I would probably recommend getting the Powermac..

Pepper2001

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2005
Just wanted to let you all know my experience in Toronto...

I went to the Apple Store at Yorkdale, hoping to get a mid-range mini that was updated. The sales guy said "Oh they're all updated now", so he went into the back and grabbed one for me. Serial number was G8534.... So I declined.

On Monday of this week I ordered a Mini online from Apple.ca. I received it yesterday, serial number was YM537... I checked the Apple support page, it was listed as Mac Mini (Late 2005), and of course when I opened it up and checked it out, 1.5ghz 64mb VRam. Woo!

bachmac

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2005
does new mac mini superdrive work up to spec?

One of the criticisms of the mac mini superdrive prior to the stealth update was the lack of true 4x dvd burning support and problems with media (see amazon.com among others). Could a lucky buyer of the late 2005 mac mini please confirm burn speeds and dual layer support? Include media brand used, since that seems to be a factor. Thanks!

purell16

macrumors member
Apr 29, 2004
Are these "new" mac minis still shipping?? or was this whole thing just for a short period of time?

BigDaddyTitan

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2005
purell16 said:
Are these "new" mac minis still shipping?? or was this whole thing just for a short period of time?

I just got my MacMini via Fed-Ex today from Apple. Mine is the 1.5, 65mb graphic Mini. Everything is sweet. I think they are all shipping out as the new ones now.

ack_mac

macrumors regular
Sep 27, 2005
Northern VA (DC)
purell16 said:

The updated ones seem to be the newest models coming out of production. I just receeived mine, and it was built the first week of October..

If you are going to order one, get it bult to order (add RAM, or a modem) and you will most likely get a new one since they do not seem to be retrofitting old minis...

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
super mini (mac said:
65mb card? are you sure?

all graphics cards in a mini are 32 mb, and you dont have an option to update either.
The Mac minis have been upgraded to a 64mb graphics card, although this isn't shown anywhere on Apple's page it is only a matter of time before Apple updates their page with the official information, a lot of users have been reporting their minis having new components and other upgrades.

I believe Apple didn't officially announce it yet because either A) they don't want to hurt iMac sales or B) they want to get rid of the Mac Minis they have in stock.

Hopefully it will be soon so we can stop all this nonsense, it's kind of silly don't you think?:rolleyes:

super mini (mac

macrumors regular
Oct 8, 2005
UK, ENGLAND
LimeiBook86 said:
The Mac minis have been upgraded to a 64mb graphics card, although this isn't shown anywhere on Apple's page it is only a matter of time before Apple updates their page with the official information, a lot of users have been reporting their minis having new components and other upgrades.

I believe Apple didn't officially announce it yet because either A) they don't want to hurt iMac sales or B) they want to get rid of the Mac Minis they have in stock.

Hopefully it will be soon so we can stop all this nonsense, it's kind of silly don't you think?:rolleyes:

your right it is silly. mind you tho,

a) why couldnt they give you the option to have any graphics card you wish (or any of the other mods)

or

b) why didnt they just do it on all the models and anounce it as a new up grade.

im sure people wouldnt mind as much if that was so

but yes it is very silly

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.