Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VI™

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 27, 2010
Shepherdsturd, WV
What's everyone's opinion on this? I played Rift for a while and have some level capped Characters, but the recent end game has become stale to me. I'm looking for something to start up that I can play in my free time, group up and possibly raid, but doesn't have a juge time requirement.

Two current ones I was looking at are EVE and The Secret World. I liked TSW's premises and played the beta, but never played the release. I have a character on EVE with a bunch of skills from when I played it previously but never really got in to it. I'll be playing on my 15" rMBP and Bootcamp isn't an issue.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I do not believe that there is such a thing as a 'best' MMO. If you are interested in large group PVE (raiding), then WoW or FFXIV: A Realm Reborn are probably your best bets. I do not find raiding even a bi enticing, so 'my best' MMO is GW2. EVE is most certainly among the 'best' MMOs out there, but it requires a huge time investment to do 'good'.

BTW, the new standalone DayZ looks as a really interesting alternative to the classical MMOs. The original mod was quite horrible, but it seems they have fixed most of the stuff in the release.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Would World of Tanks be applicable? It is a MMO, I'd call it a strategy shooter but it is not a persistent world. This is one of the best multiplayer online games I've ever played.

As far as quality MMORPG based on my experience, it would currently be World of Warcraft (which I quit several years ago, but I consider it the best MMORPG built to date), Guild Wars 2 or FFXIV:ARR, however I've quit GW2 and am on the verge of quitting FFXIV. It's just not compelling enough and my FFXIV instance experience (first 4 dungeons of the game) has been very disappointing/routine/visually blah, nothing to write home about. ;)

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
The best in my option as of right now is World of Warcraft, but I fell that Elder Scrolls Online could rack up some interest. If your familiar with Elder Scrolls: Skyrim, then Elder Scrolls Online shouldn't be that difficult, But as of right now World of Warcraft is the way to go.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
but I fell that Elder Scrolls Online

I really don't know how it would be possible. As far as I am concerned, it requires quite some audacity (and not of good kind) to try to bring a game like that in 2014 and demand a subscription. If it were like 15 euro and free to play, I would have bought it. I don't feel that it is worth a cent more though. If you are interested in that kind of gaming, go play Path of Exile - its free. The only possible reason for ESO's potential success is the hype build up because of the popularity of Oblivion and Skyrim. As an MMO it does not bring anything new to the table. It just reuses all the things games did before - and does it in a particularly boring way.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
I would also say World of Warcraft which is very casual play friendly yet thanks to tools like raid finder, you can still do progression on your own schedule when you feel like it without being married to a raiding guild. The same deal applies to the grouping and pvp aspects of the game. You just pop in, queue up and away you go. On top of that there are plenty of fun solo pursuits if you enjoy just doing stuff yourself sometimes from farming mats, to crafting or solo questing to level alts, fishing, pet battles, achievements and more.

WoW pretty much offers something for everyone and lets you play on your own terms and schedule. There are other good MMOs with various things to offer but overall if I had to pick one as "best" it would still be WoW.

I would add a little special mention to Turbine's DDO and LoTRO if you are into D&D or Lord of the Rings. They are both good games as well.

All three of these have good native OS X versions by the way.

VI™

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 27, 2010
Shepherdsturd, WV
Rift gets my vote :)

Sadly no Mac client :(

I was in a raiding guild that cleared most everything except for all of the fire raid before the expansion. I hate how they killed PVP though.

I played LoTRO briefly and DDO for a little while. Both were fun games.

I've played a lot of games. I played WOW until Lich King.

I do love me some PVP

Previous experiences:

SWO
EQ
EQ 2
FF XI
EVE
WOW
DDO
LoTRO
Rift
Asheron's Call 2
WAR
City of XXXXX
TSW

And probably several others I'm forgetting.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The best in my option as of right now is World of Warcraft, but I fell that Elder Scrolls Online could rack up some interest. If your familiar with Elder Scrolls: Skyrim, then Elder Scrolls Online shouldn't be that difficult, But as of right now World of Warcraft is the way to go.

I'm keeping my eye on ESO, about to start the EQN Landmark (sandbox) Alpha and Everquest Next, although that could be another year off.

SingularityG

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2012
Even though I spent many years in the World of Warcraft and I agree that is very accessible, I consider EVE to be much more profound and meaningful experience. While quite intimidating at first, EVE is the best MMO in my eyes.

VI™

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 27, 2010
Shepherdsturd, WV
I'm in the process of installing WOW, but it says my old Account was banned. I cancelled the account last time I played it which was several years ago and haven't touched it since. Every time I click to navigate to recover the account and undu the suspension it routes me back to the my main account page and doesn't take me anywhere. So now it wants me to pay $50 for the game and expansion. :mad:

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Then you should really try Guild Wars 2. It does have its own problems, but its the best game out there if you want some large scale strategic PvP, its quite accessible (flat power curve), and its a one-time purchase - no monthly fee. Not to mention combat is much more dynamic and tactical compared WoW. It does not have the Wow-stule team PvE though.

VI™

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 27, 2010
Shepherdsturd, WV
Then you should really try Guild Wars 2. It does have its own problems, but its the best game out there if you want some large scale strategic PvP, its quite accessible (flat power curve), and its a one-time purchase - no monthly fee. Not to mention combat is much more dynamic and tactical compared WoW. It does not have the Wow-stule team PvE though.

I have some mid 30's character on GW2 and it's acutally installed on my OS X partition, I just haven't played it much. The lack of the team PVE is a little off putting for me. One of my favorite aspects of Rift was the raiding. It's just when you're running raids as they're coming out and getting your BIS gear and what-not with nothing left to do but raid for the sake of killing time, it get stale.

I did love Rift's PVP until they basically undid factions and everyone left the PVP servers.

I loved WAR when I played it.

I always tried to get in to EVE but never really could find a good group of players to show me the ropes of PVP. Plus it gets frustrating having to rebuild your ship every time you get popped. I may dive in again at some point. I find it's a game I could spend hours on but if I only have a little time here and there I can still log on and run a mission here or there.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Well, but that's exactly the thing - no MMO does all modes perfectly. Sure, GW2's PVE will be terrible for a WoW player — but the PvP is much better. There is nothing wrong with playing Rift for PVE and something like GW2 for realm vs. realm style PvP. Its not like you have to pay subscription for it ;) This is also why I expect ESO to flop hard - its a game that does nothing well and is unreasonably expensive.

EVE is a really great game but its mostly about waiting and strategy. A 'casual' (meaning - not having much play time) gamer like me has no chance there. And the UI makes me mad, its like playing Excel :D And yes, having a good group of people is the most important thing in EVE.

VI™

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 27, 2010
Shepherdsturd, WV
Well, but that's exactly the thing - no MMO does all modes perfectly. Sure, GW2's PVE will be terrible for a WoW player — but the PvP is much better. There is nothing wrong with playing Rift for PVE and something like GW2 for realm vs. realm style PvP. Its not like you have to pay subscription for it ;) This is also why I expect ESO to flop hard - its a game that does nothing well and is unreasonably expensive.

EVE is a really great game but its mostly about waiting and strategy. A 'casual' (meaning - not having much play time) gamer like me has no chance there. And the UI makes me mad, its like playing Excel :D And yes, having a good group of people is the most important thing in EVE.

Unfortunately with Rift, you have to have a good dedicated guild to raid. You can pug older raids, but to do a 20 man, you have to be in a large guild that will have the people on to support actually having the roles you need to raid. Forunately it's a bit more flexible than other MMOs since rogues, warriors, and clerics are viable tanks, mages and clerics can heal, and you can switch between roles. As my class before I quite playing, I could heal, do near top DPS, and tank depending on what the encounter called for. I wasn't stuck in one role and you're not forced to swap people in and out of raids if you end up in an encounter that calls for more tanks, healers, or DPS than what your raid is currently staffed at.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
These days it would have to be World of Warcraft, but for many of those who have played it, including myself, it's BTDT. My last subscription Dec2014, I lasted 2 months.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.