Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 17, 2014, 02:26 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Adobe Lightroom for iPad Likely Coming Soon With Cloud Syncing and $99 Subscription Fee

Adobe's professional editing software Lightroom may soon make its way to the iPad, according to a product listing on Adobe's website that appeared briefly before being pulled. The mobile software was listed with a $99 cloud subscription, to be renewed on a yearly basis.

Originally discovered by 9to5Mac, Adobe's tagline for Lightroom for mobile is "Take Lightroom anywhere," and according to an Adobe support employee, the software has been designed for the iPad and includes many of the same features found in the desktop version of Lightroom.

Like Apple's own Aperture software, Lightroom is designed for post production work, allowing its users to edit and manage high volumes of digital images.

Lightroom for mobile devices has been in the works for several months now, and back in May of 2013, Adobe demonstrated a concept for a Lightroom-style photo editing app for the iPad.

The app was cloud-based, and while it was designed to serve as a companion app to the full Lightroom software, it did offer features for on-the-go photo editing. In the demo, the app was able to edit raw photos imported from a camera, implementing changes to exposure, clarity, shadows, highlights, and white balance.

Adobe's May 2013 demo of Lightroom on an iPad

Changes made within the app synced with the desktop version of Lightroom, allowing the same photos to be edited on desktop computers, laptops, and on the iPad. Based on the reoccurring subscription fees for Lightroom mobile listed above, it is likely that the finished product works in much the same way, storing photos and edits in the cloud.

In May of 2013, Adobe abandoned its standard Creative Suite of apps, electing instead to offer cloud-based versions of all its apps. Lightroom 5 was later released in June of 2013 and offered both standalone and as a part of the Creative Cloud service.

It is likely that the upcoming Lightroom for iPad will be able to sync with both versions of the software and it is possible that it will be included for free to Creative Cloud subscribers that pay for Adobe's full suite of software.

Though it is unknown when Lightroom for iPad might launch, its brief appearance on the Adobe website suggests that a release is imminent.

Article Link: Adobe Lightroom for iPad Likely Coming Soon With Cloud Syncing and $99 Subscription Fee
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2014, 02:28 PM   #2
Island Dog
macrumors 6502a

Another subscription plan for an app. No thanks.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 02:32 PM   #3
PinkyMacGodess
macrumors 68000

$99.00 for an iPad app? Seriously? And 'per year'?

Uh, no... Hard sell? Stay tuned...
PinkyMacGodess is offline   33 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2014, 02:33 PM   #4
hansonjohn590
macrumors 6502

It was bad enough when they did it for the desktop apps but the mobile apps too?

Get the **** outta here.
hansonjohn590 is offline   31 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2014, 02:33 PM   #5
Loyalty4Life
macrumors regular

I will never fall for Adobe's "Software as a Service" scheme.
Loyalty4Life is offline   39 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2014, 02:34 PM   #6
jessejarvi
macrumors newbie

Eww, adobe, they already leaked my password that i used on my creative cloud account.
jessejarvi is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2014, 02:34 PM   #7
Noctilux.95
macrumors 6502

Thanks for the laugh, Adobe.
Noctilux.95 is offline   30 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2014, 02:35 PM   #8
Renzatic
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkyMacGodess View Post
$99.00 for an iPad app? Seriously? And 'per year'?

Uh, no... Hard sell? Stay tuned...
If it's sporting the same functionality as the Mac/PC version of Lightroom, then it being "simply" an iPad app shouldn't make any difference on the price. If it does the job, it does the job, no matter what platform its on.

...though admittedly, I'm still not completely cool with subscription based software.
Renzatic is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2014, 02:36 PM   #9
peterh988
macrumors regular

Hopefully, Aperture for iPad will be along. (Should Aperture 4 ever show up....)
peterh988 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2014, 02:38 PM   #10
musser
macrumors member

Done and done.

I've given them enough of my money ($636 a year!). They can keep this one.
musser is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2014, 02:38 PM   #11
doboy
macrumors 65816

It's missing 0. before $99.

Thank you Steve for
doboy is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2014, 02:38 PM   #12
CausticPuppy
macrumors 65816

And then there's Photogene which is 3 bucks.
iPad Air/iPhone5S
CausticPuppy is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2014, 02:39 PM   #13
Swift
macrumors 65816

But wait!

You really pay for the security of having a copy in the ultra-secure, always available Adobe cloud...

Wait a minute. How many passwords and credit cards got compromised recently?
Swift is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2014, 02:40 PM   #14
Renzatic
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by musser View Post
I've given them enough of my money ($636 a year!). They can keep this one.
Like every year for how long? You should be hopping for joy over Adobe Cloud then. In your case, it'd save you money.
Renzatic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2014, 02:45 PM   #15
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

I'm canceling my CC in May, but otherwise it's a great service. People here gripe about the price, but it's been worth every penny for me. I'm glad Lightroom is coming to the mobile market. It's a no brainer to the people using their iPads as full fledge photo studios.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 02:46 PM   #16
Xian Zhu Xuande
macrumors 6502a

$99/year on top of a Creative Cloud membership?

I don't mind paying for software on the Mac or iOS, but frankly, I think it should be included with Creative Cloud or sold as a standalone app for a much more reasonable fee in combination. Or offered independently of Creative Cloud entirely. I'm looking forward to Adobe seeing more serious competition.
Xian Zhu Xuande is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2014, 02:48 PM   #17
Pyrrhic Victory
macrumors regular

Adobe is run by complete morons. Forcing users to rent the software that runs files they've already created is dumber than anything Tim Cook has ever done, and that's saying a lot. Anyone who's smart will just pirate CC anyway, or keep using CS6.
Pyrrhic Victory is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2014, 02:48 PM   #18
shiseiryu1
macrumors 6502

Cloud Smchmoud

I really hope that Adobe has been losing money since they moved to a dumb subscription model.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 02:48 PM   #19
Speedy2
macrumors 65816

Overpriced much?
Speedy2 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2014, 02:49 PM   #20
Tinley
macrumors newbie

No, no, no.
Tinley is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2014, 02:52 PM   #21
Renzatic
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xian Zhu Xuande View Post
$99/year on top of a Creative Cloud membership?

I don't mind paying for software on the Mac or iOS, but frankly, I think it should be included with Creative Cloud or sold as a standalone app for a much more reasonable fee in combination. Or offered independently of Creative Cloud entirely. I'm looking forward to Adobe seeing more serious competition.
That's the standalone price by itself. Though if you've already got a sub for Lightroom through Creative Cloud, you'll probably have access to the app on the iPad as soon as its released.

...or at least you damn well better.
Renzatic is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2014, 02:59 PM   #22
HiRez
macrumors 601

Wow, if that is not included in the Creative Cloud subscription, that is all kinds of messed up. How do they justify this? Wouldn't this be the only Adobe product (at least int he consumer space) that is not covered by the CC subscription?

Man, I would love to do Lightroom editing and sorting on my iPad, but there is no way in hell I'm paying them more than the $600 per year I already am. I really hope this subscription price is a standalone price if you don't want CC.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 03:06 PM   #23
taxiapple
macrumors regular

Don't care how good it is, I'm not into renting software
taxiapple is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2014, 03:08 PM   #24
euvnairb
macrumors member

Geeze! Adobe is nickle and diming everything! Can someone please develop a good photo editing software so Adobe is forced to look at reality and abandon this pricing scheme?! Luckily I have a family member who works for adobe and was able to get me an old copy of CS6.
euvnairb is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2014, 03:13 PM   #25
HAudidoody
macrumors newbie

No way. I paid less for the PC version, and it's much more useful on a real computer.

As much as I love Lightroom, under no circumstances, none, will I pay a subscription to be allowed to work on existing and completed files.
HAudidoody is offline   5 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion