Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tom2893

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 8, 2012
United Kingdom
When I first got the 5S it mostly always picked up my fingerprint the first time. Now it takes like 2 tries every time or it just gives up and needs my passcode. What is this. (i haven't damaged the phone)

carjakester

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2013
Midwest
i have to redo my fingerprint every week it seems.. i wish apple made it so it would just readjust its reading for your finger every time it scans to keep up with your finger. hmmm :rolleyes:

sixrom

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2013
Mine doesn't work so well either, but it's not an issue since my iPhone 5S is my secondary smartphone. I'm currently enjoying my Nexus 5 as my primary, highly reliable, fast and fun Android phone.

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
Mine doesn't work so well either, but it's not an issue since my iPhone 5S is my secondary smartphone. I'm currently enjoying my Nexus 5 as my primary, highly reliable, fast and fun Android phone.

Buyer's remorse in its natural habitat: in the wrong forum.

Jstuts5797

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2013
I still have yet to experience any real problems with touch ID. From the amount of people who are having issues I guess I just got really lucky. Mine has always worked as intended unless my fingers are wet or have something on them.

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
Guess again, a mind reader you're not :D

*hey let's post about my nice wonderful fast, reliable brand new Nexus 5 smartphone running Google's mobile operating system Android 4.4.2 KitKat...in a thread about iPhone fingerprint sensor*

Just seems desperately out of place to me, that's all. :rolleyes:

AceMason

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2009
Mine used to work extremely well before but now it's terrible. I just updated my fingerprints so hopefully it works fine now.

LaurieAnn

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2011
Mine hasn't been working very well either lately. It used to work nearly 100%. It began failing when I tweaked my notification settings for text messages to not display the message subject on the home screen. Weird I know.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy

Who cares about your nexus 5 ???

----------

i have to redo my fingerprint every week it seems.. i wish apple made it so it would just readjust its reading for your finger every time it scans to keep up with your finger. hmmm :rolleyes:

From what I read, it readjust your fingerprint scan at every access .... Or it should be this way

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas
From what I've experienced, touch ID is nowhere near as fluid as Apple pimped it out to be. No matter how many times you add/update your fingerprint, it still starts to fail only weeks later. Even more annoying is having to input your passcode after every reboot or when the App Store feels you've been away for too long. Kinda defeats the purpose of touch ID in the first place.

ABC5S

Suspended
Sep 10, 2013
Florida
From what I've experienced, touch ID is nowhere near as fluid as Apple pimped it out to be. No matter how many times you add/update your fingerprint, it still starts to fail only weeks later. Even more annoying is having to input your passcode after every reboot or when the App Store feels you've been away for too long. Kinda defeats the purpose of touch ID in the first place.

Speak for yourself. About 3 months, and not one issue. Not one.

Jstuts5797

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2013
Still no issues whatsoever here. Still works like it did on day one WITHOUT redoing my fingerprints , flawlessly.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
We'll I thought that was implied when I stated "from my experience". :D

Actually you said "no matter how many times YOU add/update your fingerprints" ....

This statement isn't related to your experience but seems to be a rule, and it's not.
My TouchId is working almost flawlessly since day one. It's not 100% correct! for sure, but it works very very well indeed.
I'm missing it very much on my iPad .....

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Speak for yourself. About 3 months, and not one issue. Not one.

Well I wouldn't say not one issue, at least for me. The success rate is extremely high for first press unlocks. I had to reinput thumb fingerprint once. Overall though, I rate it highly given I thought it was a gimmick at the beginning.

Are you on myg37.com?

Actually, in my experience, it is exactly what Apple pimped it up to be. My fingerprints do not fail after one week. You may have unlucky fingers that are dry or change with the weather or the hydration of your body making it difficult for the fingerprint reader.

The passcode after every reboot is as designed, and affects every 5s consumer, as you know. That's the way it was designed. Also, you can alter the app store timeout, mine is set to 15 minutes.

My guess is, if the fingerprint reader were disabled, you would still complain on how difficult it is to enter your password each and every time. Hopefully apple is working on a retinal scanner.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.