Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
If you're still on iOS6, what's stopping you upgrading to iOS7? Will apple eventually force people to upgrade?

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
If you're still on iOS6, what's stopping you upgrading to iOS7?

Free Will.

Will apple eventually force people to upgrade?

Not at all. (Although they try)

As long as when they say IOS11 got this MUST HAVE feature! or this super-duper game everybody wants to play only available on IOS13, and YOU IGNORE THEM.

Just the other day I find out iBooks only works on OSX9 and am happily running OSX8, so I said goodbye iBooks, hello Kindle Reader on OSX8. Choice is beautiful.

deluxeshredder

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
If you're still on iOS6, what's stopping you upgrading to iOS7? Will apple eventually force people to upgrade?
I have 3 out of 4 iOS devices in my household still on iOS 6 and I'm shameless and unapologetic about that.

Apple is now doing everything possible to shoehorn iOS 7 on users. I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see a fully forced update for all compatible online iOS devices.

I have moved to Android long before the iOS 7 disaster.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Will apple eventually force people to upgrade?

Are they not doing that already? They practically coerce iOS 6 users to update their devices by downloading the update in the background and reserving 1GB or more of their valuable space. Same is true with the requirement of iOS 7 for most of Apple's apps, even though it is technically not (always) required (e.g. the 12 days app).

I have experienced the performance of iOS 7 on my iPhone 4 and there is absolutely nothing which could convince me to update my phone again. I actually consider jailbreaking my device now, which I have done only once in the past, to get the Control Centre. Moreover, I adore the iOS 6 design and think that there is nothing appealing about how iOS 7 looks. Cheesy colours and redundant translucency are no worthy successors to the touch-friendly and well-designed iOS 6.

Chris1W

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2013
My reasons:

1. The bitterness of seing iPad mini which got the same spec with my iPad 2 got the full translucency effect, while iPad 2 didn't
2. 3x3 folder on an iPad???
3. The iOS 6 clock app is too cool
4. The Mac OS X lookalike

They will not directly force people to upgrade to iOS 7, but through the passive-aggressive behavior

1. shoving iOS 7 update through users throat (unless you keep your free space low enough and/or block the update server on your router)
2. requiring new app submission to use the newest xcode stuff
3. disallowing authorization of installing older iOS

Hassan212

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2013

I'm on ios 7 and I'm thinking about selling my iphone 5 and buying another iphone 5 to get ios 6 back.

"Will apple eventually force people to upgrade?" No, I know someone who is still on ios 4.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
While there are features I like which iOS 7 has, I'm still on the fence about upgrading from iOS 6. My main issue is with the look of iOS 7, I'm not a fan of the pastel colors and the flat looking icons. I think this design aspect is a step backwards and makes my iPhone look like a kids device.

Last edited:

rcoyote

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2014
i Touch 4 on iOs 6

My iTouch 4 is on iOS 6 ver.? I've liked it, but it seems to have gotten slower and slower over time. I definitely like getting around in iOS6 but can't stand all the crashes on websites. I was hoping a new iPhone 5s and iOS 7 would deal with some of this... having dealt with MS bs for years is apple having the same issues..putting out unproven system too quick to force upgrades? I'm not a very demanding user like most of you in this forum, but I have learned to try get a pulse on things rather than just trusting whoever creates expensive boxes to buy, buy again and buy again... thx

cursedemo

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2013
is it possible to upgrade my jailbroken ios 6 to ios 7 without losing anything? if so, can anyone please guide me on how to do it?

IPHONEMIA

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2014
Sorry, I am a relatively new iphone user and don't know much about IOS etc. I have Iphone 4S, which I have updated to IOS 6.1.3. Of course updating to IOS version 7.0.4 has become available a few months now and I am considering it.
Do you all agree that IOS 6 is better than IOS7 and that I shouldn't update? Especially having in mind my Iphone 4s but also in case I upgrade to Iphone 5, why and how IOS 7.0.4 is worse than all IOS 6 versions? What are its practical cons and downfalls???

Last edited:

Seandroid

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2012
Canada
Free Will.

Not at all. (Although they try)

As long as when they say IOS11 got this MUST HAVE feature! or this super-duper game everybody wants to play only available on IOS13, and YOU IGNORE THEM.

Just the other day I find out iBooks only works on OSX9 and am happily running OSX8, so I said goodbye iBooks, hello Kindle Reader on OSX8. Choice is beautiful.

Why on EARTH are you avoiding Mavericks?

----------

Sorry, I am a relatively new iphone user and don't know much about IOS etc. I have Iphone 4S, which I have updated to IOS 6.1.3. Of course updating to IOS version 7.0.4 has become available a few months now and I am considering it.
Do you all agree that IOS 6 is better than IOS7 and that I shouldn't update? Especially having in mind my Iphone 4s but also in case I upgrade to Iphone 5, why and how IOS 7.0.4 is worse than all IOS 6 versions? What are its practical cons and downfalls???

iOS 7 is not worse than iOS 6. Not technically, in any way, shape, or form.

In fact I would absolutely recommend that you upgrade to iOS 7 as SOON AS POSSIBLE if you're a new iPhone user, because you should get used to its appearance and functionality. iOS will never revert to its pre-iOS 7 looks.

Apple knows what they're doing, and don't let the resistant, obnoxious people on this forum prevent you from updating.

The people who dislike something always wail the loudest, and people just don't like change.

iOS 6 looked dated. It doesn't even matter if you liked how it looked, it looked dated. As much as people may think it doesn't matter, it absolutely does, and Apple is looking toward the future.

I don't know if you recall the launch of the iPad, but every post on this website complained about how it was just a big iPod touch.

People absolutely DESPISED OS X when it was debuted. They thought it looked ridiculous. They hated that Sherlock from the OS 9 days wasn't there.

People en masse panned the Macbook Air at launch, they complained about the name, complained about the price, complained about its features... everything. Said it would never sell.

People trashed the original iMac for forgoing the diskette drive, for forgoing serial ports and only using USB....

Apple. Is. Not. Stupid. Users are absolutely terrible at knowing what they want.

In fact, look up one of the many studies that show how people absolutely hate choice. People DO NOT enjoy having too many options. It's called choice paralysis, and here's an example:

You walk into a store that sells 100 different kinds of jam. It sounds great at first because you think you could find the perfect jam. But what actually happens is the human brain goes under immense cognitive load. You will never be happy with your choice, because you will always feel like you could have had something better. When you have 3 kinds of jam, you feel confident in your decision and you never feel like you threw away the better option. This is almost the ENTIRE reason that people have smartphone operating system allegiances. People who are die-hard Android users think they love Android because of the choice it offers, but what they're really doing is limiting their options to just Android phones because it's easy. Same thing with iOS users. We can come up with a bajillion reasons why we like iOS, but almost all of us would be FINE with an Android phone. But we like that we get to be excited about the new iPhone, and we never feel like we're getting shafted.

We may not think that we like limitations, but scientifically, chemical reactions in the brain show that we absolutely do.

Functionally, iOS 7 is much better. Control Centre, the new notification centre, the greater flexibility with apps, the improved multitasking... It's all great, for people who are willing to spend more than a week getting used to it.

But I'm sure I will have a hundred people replying to me telling me how awful and wrong I am. :)

Last edited:

Jambalaya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2013
UK
I would love to upgrade my iPad1 to iOS7 but is stuck on ios5 due to hardware limitations. I see no reason why anyone would stick with iOS6, the only people I know on iOS6 are there because they have jailbroken phones running "stolen" versions of TomTom sat nav.

deluxeshredder

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2013
iOS 7 is not worse than iOS 6. Not technically, in any way, shape, or form.
iOS 7 is the same old iOS, but with a low-end trendy UI insteed of a high-end UI. It certainly isn't a huge technical leap.

In fact I would absolutely recommend that you upgrade to iOS 7 as SOON AS POSSIBLE if you're a new iPhone user, because you should get used to its appearance and functionality. iOS will never revert to its pre-iOS 7 looks.
iOS 7 is structurally almost the same as iOS 6 and doesn't require any user training.

Apple knows what they're doing, and don't let the resistant, obnoxious people on this forum prevent you from updating.
I don't hate iOS 7 because of some "resistant, obnoxious people" on the forums. I hated it right after seeing it during the WWDC live stream and hate it even more after trying to use it.

The people who dislike something always wail the loudest, and people just don't like change.
In my experience, this is not the case with iOS 7. It seems to have got mixed reception on forums, but in real life I have yet to see a SINGLE user who likes it.

iOS 6 looked dated. It doesn't even matter if you liked how it looked, it looked dated. As much as people may think it doesn't matter, it absolutely does, and Apple is looking toward the future.
iOS 6's look is about as "dated" as haute cuisine or Beethoven's music.

I don't know if you recall the launch of the iPad, but every post on this website complained about how it was just a big iPod touch.
I don't remember the original iPad getting such remarks. It is a very innovative and somewhat underappreciated product.

People absolutely DESPISED OS X when it was debuted. They thought it looked ridiculous. They hated that Sherlock from the OS 9 days wasn't there.
I don't remember anyone hating on early OS X's look. It wasn't perfect, but at least it didn't feel like Windows 2000 Lite and everyone was free to install OS 9.

People en masse panned the Macbook Air at launch, they complained about the name, complained about the price, complained about its features... everything. Said it would never sell.
MacBook Air certainly wasn't great until the late 2010 revision.

People trashed the original iMac for forgoing the diskette drive, for forgoing serial ports and only using USB....
CD's and USB are better than floppies and serial ports in almost every way. Flat UI's aren't better in any way than graphically rich UIs, they are just easy and trendy. I'll repeat it - EASY and TRENDY.

Apple. Is. Not. Stupid. Users are absolutely terrible at knowing what they want.

In fact, look up one of the many studies that show how people absolutely hate choice. People DO NOT enjoy having too many options. It's called choice paralysis, and here's an example:

You walk into a store that sells 100 different kinds of jam. It sounds great at first because you think you could find the perfect jam. But what actually happens is the human brain goes under immense cognitive load. You will never be happy with your choice, because you will always feel like you could have had something better. When you have 3 kinds of jam, you feel confident in your decision and you never feel like you threw away the better option. This is almost the ENTIRE reason that people have smartphone operating system allegiances. People who are die-hard Android users think they love Android because of the choice it offers, but what they're really doing is limiting their options to just Android phones because it's easy. Same thing with iOS users. We can come up with a bajillion reasons why we like iOS, but almost all of us would be FINE with an Android phone. But we like that we get to be excited about the new iPhone, and we never feel like we're getting shafted.

We may not think that we like limitations, but scientifically, chemical reactions in the brain show that we absolutely do.
I use Android because it does everything I need it to do very well and because it is more flexible and sophisticated than any other mobile OS.

Android has always been about modulality and choice, iOS has always been about a refined and richly engineered experience. But with Android getting more refined and coherent and with iOS getting much slower and extremely ugly in one straw, I'm now very content with staying away from iOS for now.

Functionally, iOS 7 is much better. Control Centre, the new notification centre, the greater flexibility with apps, the improved multitasking... It's all great, for people who are willing to spend more than a week getting used to it.
Such functional additions would be right at home in iOS 6.2 and certainly don't require a week of training.

But I'm sure I will have a hundred people replying to me telling me how awful and wrong I am. :)
I just disagree with your opinion.

Last edited:

SusanK

macrumors 68000
Oct 9, 2012

Apple may force me to buy products the competition. Apple cannot force me to use iOS 7.

If Cook and Co can force anything stopping the free fall of share price is the best place to start.

wallaby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
Iowa
I have experienced the performance of iOS 7 on my iPhone 4 and there is absolutely nothing which could convince me to update my phone again.
Pretty much this. Responsiveness is the most important thing to me when operating a device, and I've seen enough evidence of iOS 7's pokeyness on the iPhone 4 (which I currently have) to keep my distance. That said, my iPhone 4 and iPad 2 have been pokey all year, so maybe they just can't keep up with the newer apps.

If anything, I think I'm going to try purchasing an Android phone next so I can at least try out the ecosystem and see if it's for me.

curiosity

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2013
- I hate the ugly Jony Ive UI.
- I love leather, metal textures, and Steve Jobs. He had a very good taste.
- iOS 6 is far more intuitive.
- I will not allow the new Apple to slow down my iPhone 4.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.