Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 20, 2014, 02:13 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

iPad 2 Sales Drop Significantly as Holiday Shoppers Choose Pricier iPads

iPad 2 sales have dropped significantly following the introduction of new iPad and iPad mini models back in October, according to the latest research from Consumer Intelligence Research Partners. Both the mini and full-size iPad Air making significant percentage gains in Apple's iPad mix.

For the September quarter, the last quarter before the new iPads were released, CIRP said the iPad 2 accounted for some 22 percent of iPad sales. For the December quarter, the iPad 2 fell to only 5 percent of total iPad sales.

In the quarter, the iPad mini with Retina display remained supply constrained until at least mid-December -- the full size iPad accounted for 54 percent of sales, while the iPad mini accounted for 41 percent.

Quote:
"Apple managed to shift significant sales to its higher-priced models," said Mike Levin, CIRP Partner and Co-Founder. "For the past year, the legacy iPad 2 grabbed from one-quarter to one-third of iPad sales. Along with the trend toward sale of models with larger storage capacities, Apple should see higher iPad average selling prices, with iPad 2 at only 5% of total sales and iPad mini sales split between the original model and the new iPad mini with Retina display."
The new iPad Air -- which was in strong supply for the quarter -- accounted for 41 percent of total iPad sales, significantly outselling the fourth-generation full-size iPad. Sales of the non-retina iPad mini outstripped its retina-equipped brethren, likely because of supply issues. On the U.S. Apple Online Store, the iPad mini with Retina display only began shipping within 24 hours at the end of December.

The shift of sales from the cheaper iPad 2 to the more expensive iPad Air and iPad mini with Retina is a good sign for Apple. The company has seen its iPad Average Selling Price consistently drop over the past three years.

Article Link: iPad 2 Sales Drop Significantly as Holiday Shoppers Choose Pricier iPads
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2014, 02:13 PM   #2
dannyyankou
macrumors 68000

5% seems pretty high. Not sure why anyone would buy it.
dannyyankou is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2014, 02:14 PM   #3
doelcm82
macrumors 6502a

This is bad for the iPad 2. I think Apple may discontinue it this year.
doelcm82 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2014, 02:15 PM   #4
Eddy Munn
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyyankou View Post
5% seems pretty high.
It's almost 1/3 of iPad Mini Retina sales, not bad for such an old product.

2013 13" MacBook Air + iPad Mini with Retina Display + iPhone 5.
Eddy Munn is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2014, 02:15 PM   #5
Nyy8
macrumors 6502

RIP iPad 2. You had a great run.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 02:15 PM   #6
virginblue4
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by doelcm82 View Post
This is bad for the iPad 2. I think Apple may discontinue it this year.
Good, I hope they also discontinue the 1st generation iPad mini. Then we will only be left with retina iPads with a minimum of an A7 chip.

iPad 2 was and still is a great device, but I believe it is time to say goodbye.

iPhone 5S, gold, iOS 8b2
iPad mini with Retina display, silver, iOS 7.1.1
Late 2012 27" iMac - 3.4GHz i7, 1TB Fusion, 24GB RAM, 680MX 2GB
virginblue4 is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2014, 02:16 PM   #7
MikhailT
macrumors 68040

Quote:
5% seems pretty high.
It has to do with the the recent promotions/bundles. Many companies were including new iPad 2s *for free* if people buy something from them.

I saw it recently with Dish Network, if you get their DVR service, you also get iPad 2 for free. It looks like they've switched to iPad mini recently, probably because the original mini is now cheaper.
MikhailT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2014, 02:16 PM   #8
osx11
macrumors 6502a

I'm surprised the iPad 2 is still able to run the newest version of iOS. Apple's going to drop support eventually, just a matter of time. But as long as they keep selling these, can they really stop supporting the hardware in less than a year?
osx11 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2014, 02:19 PM   #9
bigchrisfgb
macrumors 6502

As you would expect. iOS 7 is out and people are giving mix reviews on the iPad 2's handling of it and you wouldn't expect iOS 8 on it. The lightning connector is missing on it, finally for a price point you are likely to go for the iPad mini instead.

The lightning connector alone should have saw the end of the iPad 2 and Apple should have opted to keep the iPad 3 instead.
bigchrisfgb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2014, 02:21 PM   #10
pagemaster
macrumors member

I don't know why anyone would want to buy the obsolete Ipad 2 or Ipad mini. For another $100 you get a more up to date model. The iPad 2 and mini also using internals that are three years old, what a waste to buy them.
pagemaster is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2014, 02:24 PM   #11
jarred125
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pagemaster View Post
I don't know why anyone would want to buy the obsolete Ipad 2 or Ipad mini. For another $100 you get a more up to date model. The iPad 2 and mini also using internals that are three years old, what a waste to buy them.
I don't either. Apple already knows the iPad 2 is long in the tooth, they are just trying to milk it for as much cash as they can get out of it. Personally I think making it available at this price for yet another release is going to come back to bite them. People are going to be angry when the next update isn't available or most of the features aren't there, and that's totally unacceptable from the standpoint of a $400 device.
jarred125 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2014, 02:26 PM   #12
zhenya
macrumors 68020

The iPad 2 was the last iPad on the market sold with a 30-pin connector which many businesses and institutions have a huge investment in. That is almost certainly why it has been kept afloat this long. These numbers are just a reflection of the fact that even those customers are realizing it's time to move on.
zhenya is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2014, 02:26 PM   #13
AppleWarMachine
macrumors 6502a

The price for the iPad 2 is way too high for a 3 year old product (they must have a few warehouses full)

iMac; iPad; iPhone; Apple TV...and whatever's next (iWatch)
AppleWarMachine is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2014, 02:28 PM   #14
golgo1313
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhenya View Post
The iPad 2 was the last iPad on the market sold with a 30-pin connector which many businesses and institutions have a huge investment in. That is almost certainly why it has been kept afloat this long. These numbers are just a reflection of the fact that even those customers are realizing it's time to move on.
no the iPad 3 was...
Old Jan 20, 2014, 02:29 PM   #15
zhenya
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by golgo1313 View Post
no the iPad 3 was...
The iPad 3 was discontinued. The iPad 2 is still for sale new.
zhenya is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2014, 02:29 PM   #16
Giantscruz
macrumors newbie

Did old people get wiser?

Who was still buying these things?

Did old people wise up or did stores stop pushing them as a reasonable option?

I understand that some people might not have money for the newest tech, but buying something that will only be supported for a small amount of time is not a wise alternative. Save up and buy a refurb or used one, it will be cheaper in the long run when you don't have to refresh so soon.

For whatever reason this happened, I am surprised. Many consumers seem to still be picking the lowest price in front of them, instead of the lifelong costs of a product. (See AT&T and Verizon carrier contracts for reference)
Giantscruz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2014, 02:30 PM   #17
iSee
macrumors 68030

Makes sense. The iPad 2's main appeal over the 4 was the size & weight (and it didn't suffer much performance-wise because it was driving 1/4 the pixels). The Air blew all of that away. The $100 price break doesn't come close to making up for the differences in capability.

I can see the non-retina mini having a bit more life, just cos it's the cheapest iPad. (But it will drop from that %25... remember, that was in December when supplies of the retina iPad mini were very constrained.)
Old Jan 20, 2014, 02:31 PM   #18
captain cadet
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhenya View Post
The iPad 3 was discontinued. The iPad 2 is still for sale new.
I got an iPad 3 and I love it - I can't afford to upgrade anymore and it's. to the newest but I sit i love it
captain cadet is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2014, 02:32 PM   #19
CausticPuppy
macrumors 65816

Quote:
5% seems pretty high. Not sure why anyone would buy it.
Corporations, kiosks, and other pieces of infrastructure built around 30-pin connectors. If you go into a restaurant and they have fancy iPad menus, they're going to be iPad2.
iPad Air/iPhone5S
CausticPuppy is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2014, 02:34 PM   #20
zhenya
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantscruz View Post
Who was still buying these things?

Did old people wise up or did stores stop pushing them as a reasonable option?
People who buy ipads in volume like this.

Or who have expensive POS systems or other industry-specific hardware that is not easy to adapt to Lightning, nor is there a compelling reason to.
zhenya is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2014, 02:34 PM   #21
Rogifan
macrumors G3

iPad 2 sales are declining? Apple is doomed.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 02:35 PM   #22
purplehaze1901
macrumors newbie

Could it be...

That the iPad 2 is not featured in stores any longer? Walk into an Apple Store and you'll find the iPad Air section and the iPad Mini section. Good luck finding the iPad 2 section. I know it's still on sale, but not exactly 'featured' in stores.
purplehaze1901 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2014, 02:38 PM   #23
jessea
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Munn View Post
It's almost 1/3 of iPad Mini Retina sales, not bad for such an old product.
If I had to guess, this had more to do with the availability of the iPad mini retina than demand for the iPad 2.
jessea is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2014, 02:39 PM   #24
chrisyab
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplehaze1901 View Post
That the iPad 2 is not featured in stores any longer? Walk into an Apple Store and you'll find the iPad Air section and the iPad Mini section. Good luck finding the iPad 2 section. I know it's still on sale, but not exactly 'featured' in stores.
I've seen them in Staples. Maybe Apple let Staples be an authorized retailer so they know where 2 send the junk unfit for Apple Stores
chrisyab is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2014, 02:44 PM   #25
pagemaster
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giantscruz View Post
I understand that some people might not have money for the newest tech, but buying something that will only be supported for a small amount of time is not a wise alternative. Save up and buy a refurb or used one, it will be cheaper in the long run when you don't have to refresh so soon.
Buying a refurbished model does not work for me, I want the iPad to be new.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarred125 View Post
People are going to be angry when the next update isn't available or most of the features aren't there, .
And that is the part where I can't understand why people would not get the iPad air. I can understand that the price can be tempting, I saw some iPads in my area going of $369 before tax and Target was giving a $60 gift card. But the A5 chip is how many generations behind?

I know a friend who bought a iPad 2 and an iPad mini all within the last 12 months, his wife also got an iPhone 4S....
pagemaster is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion