Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier today, Apple released the fourth beta of iOS 7.1 to developers, which included both bug fixes and a few new changes to the operating system. While iOS 7.1 beta 3 introduced several visual changes, iOS 7.1 beta 4 focused more heavily on behind-the-scenes improvements. There were, however, a few tweaks to further streamline the look of iOS 7, which are detailed below.

Slide to Unlock/Power Off: Most notably, the Slide to Unlock bar at the bottom of the phone is now more prominent, with a brighter, slower animation. The same brighter animation can be seen in the Slide to Power off bar when turning off the phone.

Revamped Slide to Unlock/Slide to Power off animation (Courtesy of @Elias96)

Contacts in Dialer: The option to add a contact when entering a phone number has been altered slightly and is now executed by tapping the + sign next to the phone number. Previously, there was a line that said "Add to Contacts."

contacts.jpg
Old version on left, iOS 7.1 beta 4 on right. (Image courtesy of iDownloadBlog)​
Messages Scrolling: When scrolling through the Messages app in beta 4, it seems there is slightly more "bounce." This is in line with previous changes to Control Center, which introduced a bounce animation.

Siri: In the U.K., there is a new Siri voice on the iPad.

To check out previous changes introduced in iOS 7.1, make sure to take a look at our previous tidbits post on iOS 7.1 beta 3, which detailed a number of visual changes to the operating system.

It is unclear when Apple plans to release iOS 7.1 to the general public, but a report from December suggested it could see a lengthy beta testing period with a March launch. It is likely that Apple will continue making subtle changes to look and feel of iOS 7 in coming betas, which could result in a refined and polished version of the operating system when it is finally made available to the public.

Article Link: iOS 7.1 Beta 4 Tidbits: New Slide to Unlock/Power Off Animation, Dialer Updates

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2014
Honestly, the "Add to Contacts" text seems more in line with iOS 7's guidelines on "clarity". I know we all didn't like the amount of text-links instead of buttons, but now that we've all gotten used to it, going back to a simple "+" feels... not as good.

flottenheimer

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2008
Up north
Messages Scrolling: When scrolling through the Messages app in beta 4, it seems there is slightly more "bounce." This is in line with previous changes to Control Center, which introduced a bounce animation.

I thought bounce and all other 'animation physics' in iOS 7 were consistant and global?

Skoua

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2011
Paris
Slide to unlock waaaaay too large in French.

Not the first time they release a beta with this kind of bug, I can tell you no iOS developer is french.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Some of you people sure do put a lot of stock in stupid, silly-assed animations Just give me some solid app performance. I can close my eyes and ignore the hideous side of iOS if I have to.

booyahbooyah

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2011
How nice to see Jony Ive using his access to 500 million i-Devices as an opportunity to teach himself UI design !!!!!

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Some of you people sure do put a lot of stock in stupid, silly-assed animations Just give me some solid app performance. I can close my eyes and ignore the hideous side of iOS if I have to.

Or you can use something else that you don't find as hideous. :)

davidangel

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2008
What if I could "Show All" on my iTunes Match music ONLY when I'm on wifi, instead of having to switch manually.

What about selecting a wifi network from control center?

chirpie

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2010
Good grief, we're picking over the slide to unlock animation now? What you do think we are, desperate?

(Goes and watches the video a couple times anyway. ;) )

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Or you can use something else that you don't find as hideous. :)
I was being sarcastic. I couldn't care less about bouncing control panels, nauseating Parallax movement or pretty little icons. Fix the bugs first. Leave this other crap for later.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
So basically no UI changes really worth mentioning in beta 4.
Hopefully more under-the-hood polishing and bug fixing to make things more stable/faster/smoother/etc. which also hopefully also means they are that much closer to the final version.

----------

This is the first update that's asks for my pin code to update.
Beta 3 did as well (at least for me).

Tumbleweed666

macrumors 68000
Mar 20, 2009
Near London, UK.
Will they ever come out with some actual new useful features instead of this ridiculous tinkering with the minutea of fractional changes to sliders and the like?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.