Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A new jailbreak tweak called Controllers for All allows users to play iPhone and iPad games with the PlayStation 3's Dual Shock 3 controller, via Bluetooth. The tweak supports all games that have native iOS 7 controller support and when used with a Lightning Digital AV Adapter, users can play iOS games, with a wireless controller, on a television.

From our sister-site TouchArcade:
If you're into the whole jailbreaking scene, this seems like a must-have tweak. The games I've played with my actual legit iOS 7 controllers have been really awesome, and I can only imagine how much better the whole experience would be with an actual amazingly high quality controller like the PS3 controller.

Also, amusingly enough, you could pick up the PS3 controller from Amazon, jailbreak your device, and drop two bucks on Controllers for All, and spend less than half of what a "real" iOS 7 controller would cost you for what I imagine to be a substantially better overall experience.
Controllers for All is a $1.99 download from Cydia's ModMyi repo.

Article Link: PlayStation 3 Controller Support Comes to iOS with New Jailbreak Tweak

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
Fantastic. Could be the thing that makes me jailbreak my phone.

I would love for Apple to build in native support for this, similarly to how it just works on the Mac. On the one hand, it would undermine the MFI controller program, but on the other it would provide iOS devices with a readily available, high-quality games controller.

I think enhancing gaming on iOS is better for Apple and it's customers than insisting on proprietary peripherals with expensive MFI licenses.

ghost187

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
I hate jail breaking because something always goes wrong down the line but damn, temptation is killing me.

Rudy69

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2009
I would love to have this on my iPad but last time I did Jailbreak (i think it was on iOS4) it ended up causing issues with my certificates and apps wouldn't install from Xcode and I had to reinstall iOS

seamer

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2009
If enough of you jailbreak for this, Apple will include it officially. ;)

flottenheimer

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2008
Up north
Simply awesome.

This should be an official update to iOS. "Now you can hook up any Bluetooth controller to your iOS device". Boom! (btw, hooking up a PS4 controller would be even cooler — that controller is just perfect, imho).

mdridwan47

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2014
This should be an official update to iOS. "Now you can hook up any Bluetooth controller to your iOS device". Boom! (btw, hooking up a PS4 controller would be even cooler — that controller is just perfect, imho).

Apple won't do it since they have a huge-ass ego. They will make their own $#***¥ version. Which only works with their product alone, not as well designed and cost 2X more. Because they are :apple:

:mad:

ttinc

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2013
Can't figure out how to install it with Lion on my computer -- that's the max I'm able to update to...2007 black macbook

swarmster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2004
Fantastic. Could be the thing that makes me jailbreak my phone.

I would love for Apple to build in native support for this, similarly to how it just works on the Mac. On the one hand, it would undermine the MFI controller program, but on the other it would provide iOS devices with a readily available, high-quality games controller.

I think enhancing gaming on iOS is better for Apple and it's customers than insisting on proprietary peripherals with expensive MFI licenses.

I think insisting on buying and carrying around peripherals to get the full, enhanced experience would harm iOS. Apple would sooner adopt a stylus *shudder*

There are other devices that play games with controllers. The iPhone is brilliant in part because it doesn't need one, and the best games on iOS wouldn't be improved in the least by controllers.

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
I think insisting on buying and carrying around peripherals to get the full, enhanced experience would harm iOS. Apple would sooner adopt a stylus *shudder*

There are other devices that play games with controllers. The iPhone is brilliant in part because it doesn't need one, and the best games on iOS wouldn't be improved in the least by controllers.

I feel the same way. I can't picture myself setting an iPad or especially an iPhone upright and use a controller to play. I really don't mind touch gaming mainly because when I do play mobile gaming it's usually when I'm not home.

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
I'll tell you what, I'm using the Wii U Pro controller out of the box with OpenEmu via bluetooth. Why would Apple want a new standard? I would think bluetooth controllers of any kind should be able to work if the app itself support it. The Wii U Pro controller is perfect for every game from the original NES to current generation games.

But who cares about controllers for iDevices. I want to be able to play iOS apps on my Apple TV. Then we can have something to talk about, vs a $99 controller to play on my iphone?

huck500

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2004
Southern California
Breaks Retroarch

If you have Retroarch installed this seems to break it... just FYI. I haven't been able to reinstall, either. Tomb Raider is great with the PS3 controller, though:D:D

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Apparently they're going to add more controller support soon. I hope they add the Wiimote next. :D

Why the wiimote? Don't get me wrong, it's an acceptable controller and I beat Rayman Legends using one, but what's it have on the Dual Shock other than motion sensing (which wouldn't work because Apple's MFi Controller protocol doesn't cover it.)

The Wii U controller on the other hand... I love it. I thought it looked silly but once I started using it, I couldn't imagine Pikmin 3 or Rayman Legends without it. I certainly hope Nintendo revamps their efforts to make solid games that utilize the systems unique capabilities.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
I'll tell you what, I'm using the Wii U Pro controller out of the box with OpenEmu via bluetooth. Why would Apple want a new standard? I would think bluetooth controllers of any kind should be able to work if the app itself support it. The Wii U Pro controller is perfect for every game from the original NES to current generation games.

But who cares about controllers for iDevices. I want to be able to play iOS apps on my Apple TV. Then we can have something to talk about, vs a $99 controller to play on my iphone?

OpenEMU + airplay/apply tv3 + ps3 sixaxis :D

Airparrot is a great app for OSX to airplay if you have an older Mac or Mac Pro. Air parrot is only $9.99 and works pretty good. Openemu supports what looks like 4 controllers so multiplayer with everyone gathered around the big screen in the living room living out our childhood playing old games.

I just wish I could split up the sound between the Mac and whichever TV I'm air playing to via Apple TV. If there is, I just haven't figured it out.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Why the wiimote? Don't get me wrong, it's an acceptable controller and I beat Rayman Legends using one, but what's it have on the Dual Shock other than motion sensing (which wouldn't work because Apple's MFi Controller protocol doesn't cover it.)

The Wii U controller on the other hand... I love it. I thought it looked silly but once I started using it, I couldn't imagine Pikmin 3 or Rayman Legends without it. I certainly hope Nintendo revamps their efforts to make solid games that utilize the systems unique capabilities.

Because I'm cheap and don't want to invest into another controller unless it's the specific iOS 7 ones. :p

I only play SNES, GBA, and Sega Genesis games, so I don't need the fancy stuff.

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011
do you have to unpair them when you're done using it? what if i want to play ps3, would that affect iPad as well?

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
OpenEMU + airplay/apply tv3 + ps3 sixaxis :D

Airparrot is a great app for OSX to airplay if you have an older Mac or Mac Pro. Air parrot is only $9.99 and works pretty good. Openemu supports what looks like 4 controllers so multiplayer with everyone gathered around the big screen in the living room living out our childhood playing old games.

Latency would make this unplayable for me on most games of my liking.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Because I'm cheap and don't want to invest into another controller unless it's the specific iOS 7 ones. :p

I only play SNES, GBA, and Sega Genesis games, so I don't need the fancy stuff.

I'd think touch controls would work well enough for those systems... You don't really need the seperate controller until you start talking about trigger buttons, pressure sensitive buttons, and joysticks. And rumble.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.