Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2014
Parkersburg, WV
Just had a few questions to any of you who have AT&T and get throttled. What city do you live in? Is it just congested areas or anywhere? And do you know of any ways to stop the throttling from happening? My friend is giving me his line and he has unlimited data and said he never has gotten throttled, but I'm a very heavy data user. I use about 25 GB on my plan now that's why I'm switching to his. Thanks for the help.

CopyPasta

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2013
AT&T Unlimited LTE here. Used 9GB last month, 12GB the month before. Never been throttled.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2014
Parkersburg, WV
What town do you live in? Is it very populated and congested? I live on Beverly, Ohio with a population of about 3,000 people.

----------

What town do you live in? Is it very populated and congested? I live on Beverly, Ohio with a population of about 3,000 people.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Sorry I keep on bugging you but one more thing, do you automatically get throttled or do you just sometimes?

Sometimes it depends by location and traffic in that area.
I have gone up to 8GB and never got throttled but others get hit with the text message and throttling as soon as they hit the 5GB mark.

blarivee

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2009
US
Did you get the message about being the top 5%?

I think AT&T stopped sending top 5% SMS. They just go ahead and throttle you without notice. It all depends on how congested the networks are. The only way to find out is to go over the limit. Besides the throttling only last for one billing cycle.

Ajones330

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2008
SEC Country
I have averaged about 11gb of data the past couple of months and the past 2 months I have been throttled as soon as I hit 5gb. Think they are starting to ramp up on heavy users...

monkey28rb

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
I have never been throttled until last month. Now AGAIN this month I am already throttled, 11 days left in my billing cycle.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
At this point in the game, they have no reason to throttle. Very, very few people, myself included still have an unlimited plan. If everything on the plan used as much as they wanted too, it would not impact the network in the slightest way.

RTiii320

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2008
Long Beach, CA
I have a 5s unlimited data as well, I live in Los Angeles and I use about 12-15gb per month. I have NEVER been throttled. Just my experience. Hope it helps

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
I have a 5s unlimited data as well, I live in Los Angeles and I use about 12-15gb per month. I have NEVER been throttled. Just my experience. Hope it helps

Consider yourself pretty lucky then. They still do in the majority of congested markets.

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 8, 2014
Parkersburg, WV
I have an iPhone 5S also, but I don't have LTE available in my area so I only get 4G. But there's probably 1500 people running off of the cell phone towers so I can't see it being too conjested in my area. I probably use about 15gb right now with verizon on the share everything plan and it's just too expensive.

----------

What's the throttle speeds on 3G/4G and LTE?

kramjam

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2008
California
Not everyone gets throttled, there's a certain feature on your line that tells the system if you're subject to it or not.

kramjam

macrumors 6502
Feb 3, 2008
California
It's something you can't see on your account or anything. Strictly internal.. not really sure how certain accounts get the "feature." There seems to be a certain way of the system determining which lines are untethered or not.

Swampbaby985

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2013
East Texas
I have the 6+ and am still on "unlimited" and AT&T has began throttling my data as of last night. According to them I've so far used Data (MB): 5,680.04 of Unlimited.

However I have an issue with being throttled, when I got my 6+ and as recently as the middle of October I was NOT getting LTE speeds on my phone. If Anything my data speeds were slower than what "4G" was on my old 4S. When O called and spoke to the rep I told her I don't find it fair that I'm being throttled when I wasn't even getting the data speeds that AT&T's LTE was supposed to even deliver. I told her it was faulty advertising.

She said that throttling is strictly computer generated. That a computer auto generates the warning texts, and that a computer auto throttles you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.