Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TBi

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
I've looked all over and can't find an answer to this:

My work needs a VPN to connect to the mail server (SSL VPN just as secure as a direct Exchange connection so no idea why they don't allow direct access...)

Anyway I have this setup on iPhone to get mail remotely. Connect to VPN and download mail. My problem is that it always tries to get mail, even if VPN isn't connected so I get loads of "Cannot Get Mail" notifications.

Is there anyway to stop this? To only get that mail when VPN is active? I've set it to manual which reduces the number of errors but it tries to download when I open mail. I don't want to (and can't) connect on demand.

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
I have issue with VPN .. can't send and received email until disconnect VPN... Which VPN service you use??

Do you have "send all traffic" set in your VPN settings?

As to OP's question (about how to prevent Mail from attempting to access your work account whenever it checks for new mail), I took a look at iOS 7's settings and it does not seem possible to prevent a specific account from being checked for new mail whenever Mail goes through the send/receive process. If there's a way, perhaps some other reader might respond. You might play with your push settings to see if you can minimize the annoyance. Or, consider using a separate email app dedicated to that specific account. You'll find several well-regarded ones in the App Store. That way, you could ensure you open that app only after you have your VPN running.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I've looked all over and can't find an answer to this:

My work needs a VPN to connect to the mail server (SSL VPN just as secure as a direct Exchange connection so no idea why they don't allow direct access...)

Anyway I have this setup on iPhone to get mail remotely. Connect to VPN and download mail. My problem is that it always tries to get mail, even if VPN isn't connected so I get loads of "Cannot Get Mail" notifications.

Is there anyway to stop this? To only get that mail when VPN is active? I've set it to manual which reduces the number of errors but it tries to download when I open mail. I don't want to (and can't) connect on demand.

Do they use OWA access for Exchange?

I use Mail+ it's a pretty good separate app. Keeps personal and work email isolated.

TBi

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 26, 2005
Ireland
Do they use OWA access for Exchange?

I use Mail+ it's a pretty good separate app. Keeps personal and work email isolated.

Not sure what they use but it works while on VPN or on internal wifi. The exchange server is firewalled so no access outside of the office.

All i want to do is not 'check' for mail if i'm not on VPN, or at least stop throwing error messages i have to keep clicking away.

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
I have problem in send n receive email at my outlook.. whenever I connect with VPN and try to send email it stay in outbox as I disconnect with VPN it's get send..

Beyond the possibility that you are not VPN'ing all traffic, I've found Outlook to be intolerant of some NAT configurations, especially if there's more than one NAT involved. (NAT is a technique common in routers that allows their single exposed IP address to be mapped to multiple clients on the LAN.)

In general, Outlook is fragile, crappy software held together with two decades' worth of duct tape and baling wire. If any piece of software is going to puke and die in a given situation, it'll be Outlook.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.