Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jkramerbob

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 16, 2013
Indiana
I'm glad I don't judge photos for a living!

To be honest, I almost included melizard in the top 3 simply because of the overpowering "mood" of the image. However, for whatever reason, I found it very difficult to critique the composition. I'm a bit conflicted when i go though the analysis process because I don't fully understand everything that was going on at the time each image was captured. I hope everyone understands this and do not take all my comments seriously. I really enjoy this "contest" because it is fun while at the same time constructive. I really enjoy it when there is a contest theme where I cannot find an entry and I need to go on "assignment" before I can enter.

Parkin Pig

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2009
Yorkshire-by-Gum
To be honest, I almost included melizard in the top 3 simply because of the overpowering "mood" of the image. However, for whatever reason, I found it very difficult to critique the composition. I'm a bit conflicted when i go though the analysis process because I don't fully understand everything that was going on at the time each image was captured. I hope everyone understands this and do not take all my comments seriously. I really enjoy this "contest" because it is fun while at the same time constructive. I really enjoy it when there is a contest theme where I cannot find an entry and I need to go on "assignment" before I can enter.

I totally understand the pressure of judging, having done it myself. However, I doubt anyone feels disappointed when they don't make the top three. It is a bit of fun and I'm sure everybody enters in that spirit. Photography is subjective, we all see things differently and that's what forums should be about: sharing opinions and seeing other points of view. The MacRumors Photo forums are a great example of this. Other forums are so often full of people stating their own opinions and damning anyone who disagrees.

JDDavis

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2009
Wow, thanks for the nod and thanks for the hard work on the critiques. There are quite a few photos this week that I liked a lot. I found Melizard's and Fireman32's very interesting. In the name of full disclosure....no that's not a foundry machine. It's actually part of a lock mechanism on the C&O Canal. Here's the original. Honestly, I wasn't sure about this contest and I don't usually do a ton to photos in post. The gears where kind of boring so I kept playing with filters in NIK until I came up with that. I think the biggie was a infrared filter with a color filter of some sort. I started out trying to make the rust more interesting and just went overboard. I hope that doesn't take away from it too much. I'm glad you liked it. I'll have the next one up soon.

Attachments

• Lock  239.jpg
    Lock 239.jpg
    807.7 KB · Views: 73

Melizard

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2011
Canada/Germany

Judging is very difficult indeed, especially with the diverse photos that were submitted. I didn't put any thought into the composition when I took it, I was on a truck driving underground when I saw this guy peeking out from around the corner. It reminded me of a spider for some reason. I snapped the shot and didn't even remember that I took it until months later when I was going through the photos. Pure dumb luck if I managed to capture anything interesting. I think many of the other photos here show more thoughtful composition. I don't submit photos to "win" - it's the feedback that I enjoy! Thanks again!

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
I don't submit photos to "win" - it's the feedback that I enjoy! Thanks again!

I totally agree. Of course I have never won, so if/when I do this might change ....

However it's the feedback and the inspiration of how others interpret the weekly theme that makes it fun to participate.

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
I don't submit photos to "win" - it's the feedback that I enjoy! Thanks again!

I totally agree. Of course I have never won, so if/when I do this might change ....

However it's the feedback and the inspiration of how others interpret the weekly theme that makes it fun to participate.

Feedback – schmeedback, it's all about the WIN and the glory, the world recognition, the fame, the fortune, and doing your best for your adoring fans.

Oh, what a minute…different contest. Please disregard.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Wow, thanks for the nod and thanks for the hard work on the critiques. There are quite a few photos this week that I liked a lot. I found Melizard's and Fireman32's very interesting. In the name of full disclosure....no that's not a foundry machine. It's actually part of a lock mechanism on the C&O Canal. Here's the original. Honestly, I wasn't sure about this contest and I don't usually do a ton to photos in post. The gears where kind of boring so I kept playing with filters in NIK until I came up with that. I think the biggie was a infrared filter with a color filter of some sort. I started out trying to make the rust more interesting and just went overboard. I hope that doesn't take away from it too much. I'm glad you liked it. I'll have the next one up soon.

Great to see the story behind the photo. As a beginner I always learn from the process behind the photo.

I also enjoy these contests because it gives me a theme for my weeks photography. Mostly I don't have a stock photo that fits the theme so it makes me get out and shoot. It also often forces me out of my comfort zone.

----------

I don't think anybody is taking the comments to personally. Because we are all participants I find the comments on here much more polite than other forums.

Also the third place this week was an excellent choice. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.