Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 21, 2014, 02:41 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Leaked 'iOS in the Car' Screenshots Show Possible Design Evolution

App developer Steven Troughton-Smith posted a number of images on Twitter of what appears to be Apple's upcoming iOS in the Car interface. The files may have been bundled into the recently released iOS 7.1 beta 4, but it is unclear how Troughton-Smith was able to obtain the images, which show a simple iOS 7-style Maps design. When asked for clarification on the origin of the images, Troughton-Smith declined to comment.

First introduced alongside iOS 7, the upcoming iOS in the Car feature is designed to provide enhanced iOS integration in automobiles, offering an iOS-style interface on the car's touchscreen dash that allows users to make phone calls, access Maps, control music, and more. As shown in the screenshots, the software includes a warning screen like most typical GPS software, and it also has a home screen and an area for bookmarks.

The images of iOS in the Car provided by Troughton-Smith are quite different from those that have been provided by Apple in marketing materials, but that could be due to an evolution of the software's development. In the image below, Troughton-Smith's screenshot is compared to Apple's early example of iOS in the Car.

iOS in the Car as shown on Apple's website on the bottom, iOS in the Car screenshot on the top
On Apple's iOS 7 website, iOS in the Car is listed as "Coming soon" and the company has given few hints as to when it might make an appearance in cars. In mid-2013, Tim Cook said that iOS in the Car was an "important part of the [Apple] ecosystem" and a "key focus."

Many car makers have expressed interest in including iOS in the Car in their 2014 models, including Audi, BMW, Acura, Chevrolet, Honda, and more. While Honda has included new HondaLink connectivity in its newly released models and several car manufacturers have implemented support for last year's Siri Eyes Free, cars with full support for iOS in the Car have yet to be released.

Specific iOS in the Car settings were found in the second iOS 7.1 beta, leading some to believe that iOS in the Car support could be a feature bundled into iOS 7.1. Currently on its fourth beta iteration, it is unknown when iOS 7.1 will be released to the public.

Article Link: Leaked 'iOS in the Car' Screenshots Show Possible Design Evolution
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2014, 02:42 PM   #2
larrylaffer
macrumors 6502

And I JUST paid off my car.
larrylaffer is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2014, 02:43 PM   #3
musio
macrumors 68000

hope we see aftermarket stereos with screens so you can plug your phone in and drive
musio is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2014, 02:43 PM   #4
OldSchoolMacGuy
macrumors 6502a

Been waiting for this with my AppRadio 3.
OldSchoolMacGuy is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2014, 02:44 PM   #5
theheadguy
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to theheadguy
I love it, just not sure about the "home button" at the bottom. Looks kind of ridiculous to carry this over from the iPhone. Plus (and this happens with my own car navigation), a button in the bottom center is easy to miss, especially while driving. If the finger touches slightly above, it moves the map instead.
theheadguy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2014, 02:44 PM   #6
OldSchoolMacGuy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by musio View Post
hope we see aftermarket stereos with screens so you can plug your phone in and drive
That's what the AppRadio 3 allows. Turns my iPhone 5 into a 7" touchscreen in my dash.

OldSchoolMacGuy is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2014, 02:45 PM   #7
afsnyder
macrumors 6502a

Hey.. really nice interface to match iOS 7. The new one is a lot better though.
afsnyder is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2014, 02:46 PM   #8
CrazyForApple
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to CrazyForApple
Maybe this is the beginning of the iCar
CrazyForApple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2014, 02:51 PM   #9
nikicampos
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolMacGuy View Post
That's what the AppRadio 3 allows. Turns my iPhone 5 into a 7" touchscreen in my dash.

What's the model of that Pioneer?

EDIT: Never mind...
nikicampos is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2014, 02:52 PM   #10
Frizers
macrumors member

Should be on ios20 by the time I can afford a car that has an ios7 interface... depending on how difficult upgrading the OS will be
Frizers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2014, 02:53 PM   #11
c0LdFire
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrylaffer View Post
And I JUST paid off my car.
Please don't tell me you're actually enough of a sheep to buy an entire car for this as opposed to just buying a new stereo...
c0LdFire is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2014, 02:54 PM   #12
AngerDanger
macrumors 65816

I can't wait for people to play Angry Birds Go while driving. Especially since the controls are accelerometer-based.

Last edited by AngerDanger; Jan 21, 2014 at 03:23 PM. Reason: [img]
AngerDanger is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2014, 02:55 PM   #13
Lepton
macrumors 6502a

As an app developer that just released NewsBrain (myallo.com), which I hope will work well with iOS in the car, I wish we had more info on making compatible apps.

I'm thinking if you make an app that follows what many music apps do, you might be good. My app, an RSS reader that reads the news aloud, has touch controls like tap and swipe - I think iOS in the car screens will have touch? The audio goes through Bluetooth and AirPlay, and it obeys the audio remote controls, play/pause, fast forward etc., which seems obvious. And the screen works in landscape since I think iOS in the car will tend to be that, and it also puts article images on the lock screen like music apps do with album covers, in case that is a mechanism for putting info on the car screen.

Any other rumors/info on making iOS in the Car compatible apps?
Lepton is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2014, 02:56 PM   #14
Tankmaze
macrumors 65816

looks like any modern UI, which is a good thing and nothing wrong with that, but people will still says it look like android.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 02:59 PM   #15
waylandprod
macrumors newbie

Let's just hope you can use Google Maps OR Apple Maps... Hate to see them lock in their own map as default again.
waylandprod is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2014, 02:59 PM   #16
IGregory
macrumors 6502a

And, not to be outdone - Android.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 03:00 PM   #17
viperGTS
macrumors 6502a

I thought Honda was trying to implement their own solution? I read an article here not too long ago that they released their own apps. I hope that Honda adopts iOS in the Car instead though...
viperGTS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2014, 03:02 PM   #18
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
Many car makers have expressed interest in including iOS in the Car in their 2014 models, including Audi, BMW, Acura, Chevrolet, Honda, and more.
I haven't done a lick of research, but IIRC BMW specially said it WAS NOT going to incorporate iOS in the Car in 2014 or near future because of its planning requirements. For the time being it will use Siri Eyes instead.
Old Jan 21, 2014, 03:05 PM   #19
nagromme
macrumors G5

I tried to hold onto my old car long enough for this! I love the idea of having navigation and communication driven by iOS but with a bigger, built-in screen. (Just don't ask me to control things like climate from a touchscreen. Please.)

Meanwhile, a dash-mount iPhone plus steering wheel controls isn't half bad for now.
nagromme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2014, 03:06 PM   #20
needfx
macrumors 68030

updating the car's iOS sounds like fun
needfx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2014, 03:08 PM   #21
pgiguere1
macrumors 68000

The new design is more functionnal as it allows more vertical space which was lacking in the original design.

However, what's up with the graphical quality of maps? It looks all blurry and glitched. I hope that's only because it didn't finish streaming.

I also wonder what that thing that looks like a spinning wheel at the top-left corner is. The fact it's a full circle makes it look more like a button than a loading indicator.
pgiguere1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2014, 03:10 PM   #22
OriginalMacRat
macrumors 6502

Just put an iPad mount in the car.

I don't need embedded toys that are outdated in a couple of years.

My car came with a cassette player for example.
OriginalMacRat is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2014, 03:11 PM   #23
Renzatic
macrumors 604

I don't know about the rest of you, but I don't want any leaks in my car.
Renzatic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2014, 03:13 PM   #24
spooky2k
macrumors 6502a

Location: United Kingdom (split between South Wales and Surrey)
Quote:
Originally Posted by c0LdFire View Post
Please don't tell me you're actually enough of a sheep to buy an entire car for this as opposed to just buying a new stereo...
Wow, are you on the wrong website?

Why even judge people for what they'd like to buy anyway? Shhhh.
spooky2k is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2014, 03:15 PM   #25
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooky2k View Post
Wow, are you on the wrong website?

Why even judge people for what they'd like to buy anyway? Shhhh.
I, for one, don't understand why someone would want to go out and buy an entire car just to have iOS built into the dash, when they could take any old car and duct tape an iPad to the windshield.
Renzatic is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion