Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

La Chupacabra

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2014
Hello,
I'm having a problem with Windows 7 installation in boot camp. I've done many times before, but every time I try to do it again, the same problem always appears.
When I start boot camp on my MBP it only allows me to download Windows Support software, the other option to install Windows is not available. When I try to download the software it comes up with some error message that it's not available.
My questions are:
1) Why the option Install or remove Windows 7 is not available?
2) If I downloaded BootCamp files straight from Apple site can I skip that step from Boot Camp assistant and go straight to Windows installation?
3) Is the normal installation disc with Windows 7 is OK to use for a installation?

La Chupacabra

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2014
It's 64 bit Windows 7, Mac OS is Maverick. MBP is from 2010. Is it essential to download Windows support software first in order to install Windows 7? When I try to download it it gives me a message that it is not currently available from the software server update.

Last edited:

Gav Mack

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2008
Sagittarius A*
It's 64 bit Windows 7, Mac OS is Maverick. MBP is from 2010. Is it essential to download Windows support software first in order to install Windows 7? When I try to download it it gives me a message that it is not currently available from the software server update.

Had the identical issue downloading from their servers for my Mac Pro a few months ago. Download 5.0.5033 from apple bootcamp site direct, unpack the contents and copy the lot to the root of a fat formatted usb stick. Untick the support box and press next to install 7x64!

----------

The 7 DVD has to be the full version else the bca software will not accept it btw..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.