Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

preyan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2007
South Africa
I've been waiting for this since forever honestly. Do you think it will be out this year? Apples latest revenue figures show that the iPod range contributes now only 2% of it revenue so there is no incentive to push it with fancy features etc.

One thing I can say, I have yet to hear a device come close to the sound quality of the iPod touch!

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
I've been waiting for this since forever honestly. Do you think it will be out this year? Apples latest revenue figures show that the iPod range contributes now only 2% of it revenue so there is no incentive to push it with fancy features etc.

One thing I can say, I have yet to hear a device come close to the sound quality of the iPod touch!

Well, Jony Ive has stated that it's not all about making money. If they are convinced that it would make the product better, then it could happen. Whether or not it's a priority, probably not. It's good to dream though. However, if it entered at the current price points commensurate to the 32 and 64 gb, it would cost $500 and that would be too expensive for most people.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
However, if it entered at the current price points commensurate to the 32 and 64 gb, it would cost $500 and that would be too expensive for most people.

I guess it depends whether you need that amount of space or not. I paid NZ$750 (about US$600) for the 32 GB first-gen Touch so $500 is not completely unheard of.

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
I guess it depends whether you need that amount of space or not. I paid NZ$750 (about US$600) for the 32 GB first-gen Touch so $500 is not completely unheard of.

Wow. I thought Apple products were expensive here in America. That is a hefty difference you paid. I think there are many people who would stand in line on launch day to buy a 128 gb touch, but most would settle for a 32. I know it's best to always get the most storage that you can afford, but I wonder how well the 128 would sell at $500. Would Apple make enough money from it? I don't know.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA

It will never happen. For Apple, it's WiFi and the cloud. Apple doesn't see the need or demand for a 128G device.

.Asa

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2013
RIGHT BEHIND YOU!!!
It will never happen. For Apple, it's WiFi and the cloud. Apple doesn't see the need or demand for a 128G device.

There's a 128 GB iPad, so I don't see why not an iPod touch. And if they discontinue the classic, a lot of people will need an alternative large capacity iPod.
Also the 3rd and 4th gen touches came in three capacity options, but the 5th gen only has two, which hints that they might add a third.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
There's a 128 GB iPad, so I don't see why not an iPod touch. And if they discontinue the classic, a lot of people will need an alternative large capacity iPod.
Also the 3rd and 4th gen touches came in three capacity options, but the 5th gen only has two, which hints that they might add a third.

Apple will update the 16G Touch to the newest A5 design this fall so you will have 3 options (16/32/64).

otismotive77

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2013
well, 64 GB space is enough for me, so it wouldn't be a big deal for me if apple ever makes a 128 GB ipod touch.

MrMacMack

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2012
With a 128gb I don't think you'd be able to backup to icloud since the max plan option is 100 Gb.

Lior730424

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2013
Why?

Why do you need 128 GB? Just 3-6 for games, 1 GB for apps, max 0.5 for photos, contacts, notes.

preyan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2007
South Africa
Why do you need 128 GB? Just 3-6 for games, 1 GB for apps, max 0.5 for photos, contacts, notes.

Unlike you, I have a much more active social life :D
Kidding. I really have about 110GB of music and I'd like one storage medium knowing that I have it all there.

I also have suddent urges to listen to songs from ages ago. It's a random thought randomly but it happens often. I don't like having half my music collection here and the balance lying in limbo :cool:

We all have different needs and wants. So yeah, my wish is for a 128GB :cool:

----------

Good point about the new 128Gb iPad :cool:
You give me hope!

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
If you have a massive music library and good WiFi, fast ISP with buckets of bandwidth you could make your own music cloud with a Synology NAS running Audio station on your iOS device.

paulbennett95

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2012
Long Island, NY
If you have a massive music collection, perhaps try moving some of it to the cloud? I use Google Music, and its great to have access to all my songs, without them necessarily taking up space on my device (offline songs are good for the ones I listen to often)

But I doubt they'd make an iTouch 128GB, as that'd be clocking in at $500! You can get an iPad for that much, or a 32GB Mini, or a iPhone 4S! The market for iPods isn't that high anymore, and the market for 128GB iOS devices is even lower.
Unless Apple drops the +$100 price curve for each storage increase, I doubt they'll be a 128GB option. Or maybe I'm wrong and Apple wants to push it out.
I guess we'll just have to wait and see :cool:

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2011
Well this is sad for me. My music collection is already 80GB+ so I had to split it between genres(2 iPod Touches both 64GBs) but the main one is already within 9-12 months of maxing out. Apple just doesn't want my money.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Well this is sad for me. My music collection is already 80GB+ so I had to split it between genres(2 iPod Touches both 64GBs) but the main one is already within 9-12 months of maxing out. Apple just doesn't want my money.
Might I suggest that an iPod Classic + iPod touch might be a better combination for you? Put all your music on the Classic and put some subset on the touch.

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2011
Might I suggest that an iPod Classic + iPod touch might be a better combination for you? Put all your music on the Classic and put some subset on the touch.

That misses the main point - having the iOS interface.

osx11

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011

by that logic, they would also have to neglect the Mac......

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2011
This is nonsense, madness! I'm down to less than 600MB free on my 64GB iPod Touch! Within 6 months I'll be needing more capacity or I'll be forced to divide up my music collection AGAIN!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.