Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While nearly all of Apple's Mac lines have transitioned to Intel's latest Haswell chip platform, one notable exception is the Mac mini, which has not been updated since October 2012 and is ripe for an update.

As noted in our forums, major Belgian retailer Computerstore.be has now posted placeholder listings for new Haswell Mac minis in Core i5 and Core i7 variations.

mac_mini_haswell_be.jpg
Retailer placeholders are typically unreliable indicators of new product launches, although they have on occasion been accurate. One forum poster did, however, contact the store and was told that the information "comes from apple or reliable sources". The store representative also noted that a release date is not yet available but that they expect a launch by the end of February based on availability of the placeholder listings.

While the listings include images of the current Mac mini, they are likely placeholders for the time being and it is unknown whether there will be a change to the machine's appearance or if it will be an entirely internal upgrade. The listings do, however, come with product descriptions that differ from the current models (translated via Google).
The Apple Mac mini features a sturdy and above all very compact aluminum housing. Despite its small size, the Apple Mac mini comes with powerful hardware. The Mac mini is equipped with the latest Intel Core i7 processor from Haswell series. This processor is obviously faster than its predecessor, but also uses the powerful Intel Iris graphics. The latest Apple operating system, OS X Mavericks, works very user friendly and communicates seamlessly with other Apple products. So for example you can just get iMessages on your Mac mini. In addition, OS X Mavericks a very secure operating system, you have (almost) not suffer from nasty viruses. The Apple Mac mini with the latest WiFi standard 802.11ac. This will make use of a high speed Gigabit LAN. You are here obviously compatible 802.11ac equipment needed. If you ever want to expand the memory of the Mac Mini, this is easily done by turning the black plate on the bottom and then add additional memory. The Mac Mini has many connections. He is equipped with HDMI, USB 3.0, FireWire and high-speed Thunderbolt connection.
Beyond Haswell, the description includes several other expected updates such as Iris integrated graphics and 802.11ac Wi-Fi, although it does not specify whether the new Mac mini would adopt the new Thunderbolt 2 standard seen on the Mac Pro and Retina MacBook Pro.

Update: Computerstore.be has removed the listings.

Article Link: New Mac Mini Coming by End of February According to Belgian Retailer

Lapidus

macrumors regular
May 14, 2012
lol, I live in Belgium and they definitely don't know what their talking about :)

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
I really like the Mac Mini form factor, but price wise it just doesn't make sense. If they stuck a fusion drive starting in the base model then it starts to be competitive with the iMac.

Also it would be nice if they kept the discrete graphics in the high end model. Or maybe they will at least give these Iris Pro...

Galatian

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2010
Berlin
Nice: still hoping for the Mac Pro case design for the Mac Mini, but that will probably stay a dream. Haswell with Iris Pro 5200 would be nice though!

UnfetteredMind

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2012
Hopefully this is true. I know many have been waiting for this update and I'm contemplating getting one myself (to essentially take the place of an old NAS).

shaunp

Cancelled
Nov 5, 2010
Lets see a cylindrical mac mini with quad i5s and i7s, half as many ports and a dedicated gpu on higher end models.

I would buy one of these yesterday if it existed. It's too logical though and too many people want it so Apple won't make it. They only make that they think you need. ;)

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
"In addition, OS X Mavericks a very secure operating system, you have (almost) not suffer from nasty viruses."

There's a winning endorsement...

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
Lets see a cylindrical mac mini …

Now that there's no need to accommodate an optical disk, I'd like to see them make it a little cube. It would be a fitting tribute to the beautiful (albeit commercially unsuccessful) Mac G4 Cube, and to a lesser extent the NeXT Cube before it.

… half as many ports and a dedicated gpu on higher end models.

Wait, half as many ports? Why is this a good thing? My USB ports are full up as it is on the old mini.

teleromeo

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2006
kidnapped by aliens
Fake.

There are more trustworthy retailers in Belgium. They sell all sort of brands and ain't specialized in Apple products. Imho, the "new' label on the picture dates from the introduction of the current model.
The mini can still be ordered from the online apple store over here with a shipping delay of 24 hours.

Edit:
Also, nowhere on that page they confirm the date 'end of februari' as stated in the title of this thread.

dazzer21

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2005
Cylindrical!!

Lets see a cylindrical mac mini with quad i5s and i7s, half as many ports and a dedicated gpu on higher end models.

Maybe that's Apple's new signature design - cylinders! If they're looking at getting the whole curved glass thing right, maybe we'll see a cylindrical iMac as well, with a wrap-around screen!!! :D

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I have always wondered why the Mac Mini isn't more popular.

People always complain that Mac's are too expensive yet you never hear anyone mention the Mac Mini. Isn't that the basic consumer Mac?

klymr

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2007
Utah
Of course the rumors are true...I mean, I did just get a new Mac mini on Monday, so it all makes sense, right? ;)

gully666uk

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2011
Earth
I use my 2011 Mac mini as my main machine.Since I put an ssd in it it flies.There would have to be a big upgrade to get me to spend any money.Plus I have a pc tower which has Mavericks running fine if I need something a bit more powerful.

kemal

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2001
Nebraska
A "mini" form factor computer that can handle a 70W TDP CPU please. No workstation quality graphics. Good enough graphics card + intel CPU graphics. Make it cost $1400 with a 4770 CPU. Dell can do this for a lot less.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.