Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
What's Mrs. Jobs (forget her first name) % ownership?

There's the danger of Icahn owning a controlling % of Apple.
Not nearly as much as you think. Jobs' personal wealth was in Pixar and Disney. AAPL is over half owned by institutional shareholders (62% per Yahoo). Not really sure if that includes Icahn's 1% or not, but as has been said, he's not real close to any sort of individual control. Just his history throws some weight behind his statements and requests.

CJM

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2005
U.K.
Complaining there's 'no finance guy on the board'? Is he trying to muscle his way in?

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Great summary. Agree with everything. I would only add that as the company buys back stock, those that still own stock increase their stake in the company. So as he buys more stock and the company does buyback he is actually gets an extra increase in the company stake. And as EPS increase due to the reduced number of shares, he wins again. Essentially, the strategy works really well for him, and for any other major shareholder. The value of this strategy for the rest is questionable -- especially as the power gets concentrated in to fewer shareholder that lack vision for the company beyond their personal gain.

Buybacks increase everyone's share of earnings, which was my main point. Every stockholder's stake increases proportionally when shares are repurchased, so it works equally well for large and small stockholders. I don't see Icahn getting to more than 2% of AAPL and probably not even that much. That level of holding may get him a power lunch with Tim Cook, but it doesn't buy him a seat on the Board of Directors or any other special influence.

----------

It's also very irresponsible to assume that AAPL is doing nothing with its money, and that either Icahn or you know better than AAPL's BOD and exec team how to utilize its assets. It's a marathon, not a sprint.

They are doing nothing with the money. If they'd been doing something with it, the cash hoard would not have grown by a factor of eight in about five years. This is arithmetic, not a sprint or a marathon.

----------

Nice summary. I would also add that there's a third way to increase shareholder value and that's through acquisitions. Apple could buy Yahoo, for example.

Scary. Most major acquisitions and mergers work out badly. Yahoo in particular is a boat anchor. If Apple was even hinted at buying Yahoo, you could watch the stock take a dive.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
This typifies the short-termism of the exceedingly rich who greedily and relentlessly seek more money. And for what? Why does a billionaire need more money?

For those of you who see Apple's 'hoard' as 'dead money', there are two kinds of opportunity cost: The first is the opportunity cost of not making a profit today. The second is the opportunity of a company failing in the long run by not making major investments. Of course stockholders worry about the former, because they can bail out by selling their stocks before a company goes bankrupt. From the perspective of the people who work for the company, and of the people who enjoy the company's products, therein lies the problem.

And I can't believe that somebody actually sided with a billionaire in a post above... :mad:

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
A part of me wants AAPL share price to decline dramatically, just so Icahn can lose million$!

Mark

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
Neither, or both. Nobody holds stock forever. They buy with the expectation that some day they will cash out, though not necessarily all at once. Icahn isn't telling Apple anything that they don't know already. The cash hoard is dead money.

They might find that they need that cash hoard some day to remain competitive.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
This typifies the short-termism of the exceedingly rich who greedily and relentlessly seek more money. And for what? Why does a billionaire need more money?

For those of you who see Apple's 'hoard' as 'dead money', there are two kinds of opportunity cost: The first is the opportunity cost of not making a profit today. The second is the opportunity of a company failing in the long run by not making major investments. Of course stockholders worry about the former, because they can bail out by selling their stocks before a company goes bankrupt. From the perspective of the people who work for the company, and of the people who enjoy the company's products, therein lies the problem.

And I can't believe that somebody actually sided with a billionaire in a post above... :mad:

Talking about Apple becoming unprofitable. Scary. Apple currently earns about a billion a week. For the cash to be of operational significance, that profit would need to evaporate. Nice prediction. Got any others? Go ahead, make our day.

Apple already has more than enough cash to invest in growth. Far more, obviously.

This non-billionaire is grateful for Icahn throwing his support behind the stock, but that's probably because I am an actual Apple stockholder who stands to benefit. Unlike probably nearly everyone else commenting here, investors put their money where their mouth is. I will side with who is right, and who has something to gain or lose, so I will not side with you or anyone else who makes uninformed statements and probably isn't an actual stakeholder besides.

----------

They might find that they need that cash hoard some day to remain competitive.

How? Insert theories here: ____________

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
Talking about Apple becoming unprofitable. Scary. Apple currently earns about a billion a week. For the cash to be of operational significance, that profit would need to evaporate. Nice prediction. Got any others? Go ahead, make our day.

Apple already has more than enough cash to invest in growth. Far more, obviously.

This non-billionaire is grateful for Icahn throwing his support behind the stock, but that's probably because I am an actual Apple stockholder who stands to benefit. Unlike probably nearly everyone else commenting here, investors put their money where their mouth is. I will side with who is right, and who has something to gain or lose, so I will not side with you or anyone else who makes uninformed statements and probably isn't an actual stakeholder besides.

----------

How? Insert theories here: ____________

It's an extremely volatile and expensive industry to be in. Take a look at Blackberry, for example. They were caught off guard by competitors' innovation and didn't have the resources to catch up in time.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland

So Apple's growth is not hindered by limits on the ability to make chips, touchID buttons and screens? Seems to me like they would make more money if they invested in production, which is expensive.

As a long-time customer who enjoys Apple's products and who has invested through hardware and software purchases in the Apple ecosystem, I also have a stake in Apple's success. My stake is also based on the fact that I am a US citizen, and I do not want yet another successful US company run into the ground by self-defeating self-centered short-sightedness. If Icahn were arguing for increased dividends then I would be sympathetic, because at least that would be making money without engaging in speculation.

Also, you put your money where your mouth is. That is to say you gambled. Should we respect your opinion more than, say, somebody who plays roulette? You take risks, gamblers take risks. They are functionally equivalent.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
It's an extremely volatile and expensive industry to be in. Take a look at Blackberry, for example. They were caught off guard by competitors' innovation and didn't have the resources to catch up in time.

It wasn't a lack of money. They had plenty. It was a lack of innovation that sunk them.

----------

So Apple's growth is not hindered by limits on the ability to make chips, touchID buttons and screens? Seems to me like they would make more money if they invested in production, which is expensive.

As a long-time customer who enjoys Apple's products and who has invested through hardware and software purchases in the Apple ecosystem, I also have a stake in Apple's success. My stake is also based on the fact that I am a US citizen, and I do not want yet another successful US company run into the ground by self-defeating self-centered short-sightedness. If Icahn were arguing for increased dividends then I would be sympathetic, because at least that would be making money without engaging in speculation.

Also, you put your money where your mouth is. That is to say you gambled. Should we respect your opinion more than, say, somebody who plays roulette? You take risks, gamblers take risks. They are functionally equivalent.

Apple has invested in production, and they still have $150B left over, and that total has rocketed upwards every quarter for years. Most of their investments (that we know about) are in the hundreds of millions department, IOW, the kind of money Apple made while I was typing this. I think the problem is with a comprehension of the scale of a $150B hoard, or $1B they add to it every week.

I interpret your other remarks as agreement that you have neither the knowledge nor the stake in the outcome to have your opinions taken seriously. Investing is only gambling to the people who don't do it. It's their lame excuse.

Oudinot

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2013
Birmingham, AL USA
Don't worry, about 98% of the comments in these threads come from people who don't know a thing about the markets.

When you buy shares in a public company, you are buying a piece of that company's earnings. Buybacks concentrate earnings on fewer shares. If a company with 100M shares earned $100M, the earnings per share (EPS) is $1.00. If they take 50M shares off the market through a buyback, EPS will rise to $2.00. If companies do nothing about the number of shares outstanding, over time the opposite will happen, as they grant shares and stock options to executives. This is called dilution. In part, buybacks are a strategy to reverse dilution.

So just to be clear about a couple of things: First, Apple is under no "pressure" do anything, so the headline of this article is fundamentally misleading. Second, the buyback that Icahn is proposing represents less than the amount of free cash Apple will generate in one year. So even if Apple accepted the proposal, they'd still end up the year with more than the $150B cash hoard that they are sitting on today.

Finally, Icahn is fundamentally correct. When a company generates cash far in excess of their ability to reinvest it in growing the company, then they need to find other ways to benefit stockholders. The two ways are dividends and buybacks. Apple is already doing both, so the only question is whether either or both will be increased. Last I heard from Apple, they were preparing to announcing something this month. It might come next week, at the earnings announcement.

Icahn is a slut! Always was, always will be.

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
I think #2 is his bigger motivator. He doesn't have enough money to get a significant voice in Apple share holder meetings like he has done in the past with Dell or TWA. BUT, if he can get Apple to use its own cash to buy back shares then they are increasing his percentage share of the company's total stock and therefore his ability to influence the board by voting his shares.

Oh hey. Hadn’t considered that. I think I liked him better when it was all about money. I’m not really aware of what he’s done with companies like Dell in the past, any insights?

----------

It wasn't a lack of money. They had plenty. It was a lack of innovation that sunk them.

But surely a huge pile of cash would have given them a little bit more cushion of time within which to innovate? I’m not saying it would have kept them out of the black abyss they’re in now, but it might have given them another chance or two to figure out how they were going to climb back out.

Vmo9

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2014
Carl Icahn and Apple - looks like he's out to destroy another Company

It appears everyone seems to forget what Icahn has done to historical companies, such as US Steel, Mylan Labs or TWA just to name a few. He took down TWA and ruined the lives countless American families and bankrupt countless small businesses. Look at his track record, look at what he has wanted to do with Biogen - which would do nothing more than destroy another Company and the people who work there. If he is allowed to dig deep enough into Apple, he will destroy it as well. He has been nothing more than a corporate raider, taken someone else's hard work, destroying them all the while profiting from his force.

Wouldn't it be nice to see Apple crush Icahns 3 billion investment before he ruins another great innovating company?

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately
I don't know much about this guy, but he's starting to sound almost as bad as George Soros.

It appears everyone seems to forget what Icahn has done to historical companies, such as US Steel, Mylan Labs or TWA just to name a few. He took down TWA and ruined the lives countless American families and bankrupt countless small businesses. Look at his track record, look at what he has wanted to do with Biogen - which would do nothing more than destroy another Company and the people who work there. If he is allowed to dig deep enough into Apple, he will destroy it as well. He has been nothing more than a corporate raider, taken someone else's hard work, destroying them all the while profiting from his force.

Wouldn't it be nice to see Apple crush Icahns 3 billion investment before he ruins another great innovating company?

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
And you have to remember that shareholdes OWN apple

Shareholders do not own Apple at all. Shareholders don't even have a say in how Apple is run as a business as Icahn is finding out.

This snippet sums it up reasonably well:

"In legal terms, shareholders don’t own the corporation (they own securities that give them a less-than-well-defined claim on its earnings). In law and practice, they don’t have final say over most big corporate decisions (boards of directors do)."

mccldwll

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2006

They are doing nothing with the money. If they'd been doing something with it, the cash hoard would not have grown by a factor of eight in about five years. This is arithmetic, not a sprint or a marathon.

I disagree. While we have no idea what AAPL is doing or may be planning to do with it, that doesn't mean they are doing "nothing". Wireless and related peripheral tech industries are exploding. I see a strategic advantage in being able to move quickly so am willing to wait and see. Your mileage may vary.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Question:

Why isn't Apple doing more with their money? Wouldn't that be the quickest way to shut this guy up?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.