Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LincolnsiPod

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
I got screwed while roaming in another country when I noticed too late that shared photostreams was sucking up all my data usage.

I was sharing via this setup: uploading my photos from my iPhone to my MacBook via a USB cable. Then after editing them in Aperture, I pick the photos I like and upload them to my shared photostream.

What I didn't know is that these photos would be going BACK to my iPhone via cellular data when updating the iPhone's own photostream. BONED

My personal photostream transmits via wifi only, I don't understand why there's no option to set it likewise for SHARED photostreams without turning it off completely.

Does anyone know if I missed a setting possibly or a workaround to fix this, or is this just how Apple has things set up for now?

moonman239

Cancelled
Mar 27, 2009
I got screwed while roaming in another country when I noticed too late that shared photostreams was sucking up all my data usage.

I was sharing via this setup: uploading my photos from my iPhone to my MacBook via a USB cable. Then after editing them in Aperture, I pick the photos I like and upload them to my shared photostream.

What I didn't know is that these photos would be going BACK to my iPhone via cellular data when updating the iPhone's own photostream. BONED

My personal photostream transmits via wifi only, I don't understand why there's no option to set it likewise for SHARED photostreams without turning it off completely.

Does anyone know if I missed a setting possibly or a workaround to fix this, or is this just how Apple has things set up for now?

I don't see any settings you could use. What I don't understand is why your phone downloaded your photos.

I would talk to Apple. Maybe they'd be willing to pay your carrier for the data use.

LincolnsiPod

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
I'm guessing its due to being able to see and respond to comments on photos, but it seems any shared photo streams are synced across the iCloud, so if I add photos via my MacBook, it's synced on the iPad and iPhone too, only difference is with shared photo streams it can be synced via cellular as well. That's a huge oversight especially since it can't be disabled without deactivating the entire feature.

Dave W

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2012
Me Too...

I'm guessing its due to being able to see and respond to comments on photos, but it seems any shared photo streams are synced across the iCloud, so if I add photos via my MacBook, it's synced on the iPad and iPhone too, only difference is with shared photo streams it can be synced via cellular as well. That's a huge oversight especially since it can't be disabled without deactivating the entire feature.

I have had all kinds of problems with PhotoStream not syncing properly since I got my iPhone5 and Apple support have not been able to figure out why it doesn't work.

This week I did the same thing you describe - manually synced with my laptop and added photos to my photoshare (about 40 pictures) while traveling overseas. I had been carefully tracking my data usage and found to my horror that about 50mb of data were suddenly consumed later that same day with no other possible explanation. Unbelievable.

Add this to the stack of complaints on the new phone in terms of not being ready for release...:mad:

LincolnsiPod

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
I have had all kinds of problems with PhotoStream not syncing properly since I got my iPhone5 and Apple support have not been able to figure out why it doesn't work.

This week I did the same thing you describe - manually synced with my laptop and added photos to my photoshare (about 40 pictures) while traveling overseas. I had been carefully tracking my data usage and found to my horror that about 50mb of data were suddenly consumed later that same day with no other possible explanation. Unbelievable.

Add this to the stack of complaints on the new phone in terms of not being ready for release...:mad:

I'll probably contact Apple to complain about not offering a way to disable cellular usage for shared photostreams. I hope it's something they'll address in a future update. :mad:

curiosity

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2013
So, it's been a while. Did Apple fix this? Or is there any jailbreak app for disabling cellular photo streams?

curiosity

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2013
Settings > Cellular Data > uncheck Photos.

On iOS 7, I enabled shared photo streams, they now call it "Photo Sharing", and went to "Settings - Cellular - Use Cellular Data for:". The only option is "Passbooks".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.