Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The next generation of iPhones, expected to be released this fall, will include new phones with significantly larger screens, according to a report from The Wall Street Journal. It's been widely expected that Apple will launch an iPhone with a larger screen, but this is the first solid indication that Apple could be launching phones in multiple screen sizes, including in the larger "phablet" market.

The report says that Apple will not continue the plastic-shelled body of the iPhone 5c, and will instead have two models with metal outer casings similar to the current iPhone 5s. It's possible that Apple will continue offering two "new" lines of phones with the new lineup, offering a flagship phone with the largest screen -- one more than 5-inches diagonally -- and offering a step-down model with a screen size larger than 4.5-inches diagonally.

galaxy_note_ii_iphone_5.jpg
5.5-inch Samsung Galaxy Note II vs. iPhone 5 (Source: phoneArena.com)
Facing competition from rivals offering smartphones with bigger screens, Apple Inc. plans larger displays on a pair of iPhones due for release this year, people familiar with the situation said.

The people said Apple plans an iPhone model with a screen larger than 4½ inches measured diagonally, and a second version with a display bigger than 5 inches. Until now, Apple's largest phone has been the 4-inch display on the iPhone 5.

Both new models are expected to feature metal casings similar to what is used on the current iPhone 5S, with Apple expected to scrap the plastic exterior used in the iPhone 5C, these people said.
The report notes that Apple will not be using a curved display in its units -- something that had been previously rumored -- and that the iPhone 5c has seen weaker-than-expected demand. Instead, it appears the iPhone 5s has seen significant demand that analysts had expected to see go to the more inexpensive iPhone 5c.

Article Link: Two New iPhones With Screens Larger Than 4.5" and 5" Coming This Year

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Wow! Can't wait for a massive screen! The ONE thing I envy of Android. But, dropping the 5c already? Maybe Apple think it was a mistake?

Bring on the bigger iPhones!

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Interesting. WSJ has been pretty reliable in the past and nothing in this article seems too unlikely.

I wonder what the differentiating factor between those two devices will be if both have large screens though.

I initially thought they would release two iPhone 6's (iPhone 6 4-inch and iPhone 6 5-inch) with the same specs (think iPad mini Retina vs iPad Air).

Now I'm thinking they might have different specs. Perhaps iPhone Air and iPhone Pro?

Orlandoech

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2011
lol @ 5c buhahaha @ Apple for thinking it would be so "amazing", bigger LOL at those who bought it... now give me a 4.7" or bigger iPhone please..

Waiting for those to complain and ask me to make a better product than Apple...

Waiting for those to complain that anything over 4" is too big...

Waiting for those to complain about my post in general...

applefanDrew

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2010
Well, I'll be going for the 4.7/4.8 model. Over 5 is just too big. I can't use a S4 comfortably one handed.

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
I wouldn't mind a 4.5"-5" iPhone with zero bezel to keep the case as small as possible. Move the camera to the side to shrink the top and bottom bezels while your at it.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Finally. My girlfriend has the Galaxy Note 3, and my iPhone 5 looks so tiny next to it. I don't want a phone quite that large, so the smaller of the two will be the one I go with. Something the size of the Galaxy S4 would be perfect.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
I think the iPhone 5C's place in history will be next to the fat iPod Nano and the iPod with the buttons on the top of the click wheel.

As for screen size, I'm not clamoring for it, but as long as the device physically doesn't get any taller, and there's a resolution bump, I'm OK with it. I don't want a device that's harder to hold with a worse PPI and no extra screen real estate.

vertgo

macrumors member
Dec 18, 2006
Why don't they just add phone functionality to an ipad mini?

And while they're at it, add it to the iMac

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
Same rumor.

But do like the possiblilty of having the multiple form factors for the latest release of the iPhone.

This with the rumored new iPad/iPad Pro, i-watch could make for an exicting year.

Last edited:

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
what this i'm hearing? isamsung?

I've got to admit, as much as we say Samsung copies Apple, these rumoured screen sizes are reminiscent of something Samsung introduced a long time ago. I love Apple to pieces anyway and anything Samsung can do, Apple can do better. For one, I am thoroughly looking forward to having a big phone! I deliberately went for an iPad Air this year because I suspected the iPhone would be getting bigger and would make the iPad mini less useful - for me.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
This is a pretty solid rumor given that it is from the Wall Street Journal. Makes sense given the competition.

I for one welcome a slightly larger screen, but I am not sure about a phone over 5". I like one handed use. The 4.8" one seems fairly enticing.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.