Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

s0nicpr0s

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2010
Illinois
My sister and I have been sharing a 4th generation iPad the past few weeks, she'll have it one week, I will the next. We purchased a second lightning cable so that we wouldn't have to worry about charging it at each others houses. When she brought it over last night, she grabbed the 12w wall charger, and the cable that came with the iPad. She commented that the cable was getting very hot, and after she left I plugged the iPad back in.

Using the apple charger, as well as a 2.1 amp wall adapter I use for my phone, the iPad wouldn't charge. Plugging it into my iMac would cause the "Too much power" warning to pop up instantly, and the PS3 couldn't charge it either.

I took the iPad to a friend's house, and using their lightning cable allowed me to charge the iPad a little bit. I stopped at the closest apple store and showed my cable to two employees. They gave me a new cable.

I'm curious if anyone else has run into an issue where the cable has gotten so hot, that the connector casing looked warped afterwards. I should've snapped a picture of it before taking it in, but I wasn't thinking ahead.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
mine hasn't warped or melted, but the tip that goes into the charger gets VERY hot after just 30 mins of charging. i can't even imagine what it would be like if charging from 0% to 100% for 5 hours or something.

it's a moot point though, i'm returning it and ordering and iPad 3 refurb.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
There are people around here whose Ipad mini's lightning cable also melted and it also took the 5W adaptor along with.

s0nicpr0s

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 1, 2010
Illinois
I wish I did. Like I said, didn't think to take a picture until after I got home with the new one. They took the old one when I traded in my broken one. Where the cord connects to the connector was warped. The middle of the plastic had a dimple or squashed in area, almost like the heat had shrunk it a little. And where the metal sticks out towards the top, the plastic was kinda pushed outwards towards the iOS device

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
There are people around here whose Ipad mini's lightning cable also melted and it also took the 5W adaptor along with.

yeah that's why the lightning cable was so hot, b/c the 5W charger itself was insanely hot to the touch. i don't know what the hell is wrong with it. i stopped using it and i just use a generic USB wall charger that i got from amazon and it runs only slightly warm.

when i return the iPad Mini this week i will tell them about the problem. i'm not returning it for the charger/cable temperature, but rather b/c i just don't like the form factor. i'm going back to an iPad 3 refurb instead

Last edited:

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
yeah that's why the lightning cable was so hot, b/c the 5W charger itself was insanely hot to the touch. i don't know what the hell is wrong with it. i stopped using it and i just use a generic USB wall charger that i got from amazon and it runs only slightly warm.

when i return the iPad Mini this week i will tell them about the problem

I have no idea why apple provided only 5W charger with the mini? The battery capacity is almost as much as Ipad 2, no?

DonnieZ

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2010
Even on the iPad 2 the 5w charger got very hot. The additional draws from the new iPads I'm sure is very taxing on it.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Even on the iPad 2 the 5w charger got very hot. The additional draws from the new iPads I'm sure is very taxing on it.

It might be useable but i would never charge an Ipad using Iphone charger. Ipad demands more energy than it can give. Its okay the other way around though.

----------

b/c of the 5W charger costs pennies compared to the 10W/12W charger

And yet $329 is the mini starting price :)

Mileskor

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2013
Me too!

My cable melted today too. Had I not discovered it, my house might have burned down! It was glowing red when I found it

Attachments

• 1097948_10153082060670580_1617473620_n.jpg
    1097948_10153082060670580_1617473620_n.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 5,952

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
It might be useable but i would never charge an Ipad using Iphone charger. Ipad demands more energy than it can give. Its okay the other way around though.

----------

And yet $329 is the mini starting price :)

Pennies saved over several hundred million units = millions!

EDH667

macrumors 65816
Nov 25, 2009
Northern California

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
From looking at the thumbnail, that looks like a non-Apple lightning cable. The Apple lightning cables do not have lines along the edge which looks like another piece of metal was attached.

I don't see what you're looking at. Other than the melted part, it looks like the cable that came with my iPad.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
The plug casing looks rectangular, apples is ovalish.
Difficult to tell from a melted and warped casing, however it looks like it could be the right shape.

Parallel lines just in from the top edge (orientation of photo) and bottom edge.
If you're talking about what I think you are, my lightning cable looks different along the edges as well. It could be light scratching from being used.

I'd rather it be a 3rd party cable or at least used with a 3rd party charger.

Last edited:

SamuraiMinis

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2013
My cable melted today too. Had I not discovered it, my house might have burned down! It was glowing red when I found it

To me it simply looks warped by it melting do to the heat. It is hard to distinguish with the damage though. Is it the one you got with your device in the packaging?

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
I have an Apple cable, an Apple licensed cable, and a cheap Chinese knockoff. I use all three about equally.

The first two, Apple and Apple licensed, do not have those lines along the side.

The cheap knockoff has those lines along the side because that's how it is made. Those aren't wear lines.

So the lines in the picture above make me think it is a cheap third party copy.

If anyone is interested, I can provide a clear photo of all three.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Apple are going to start a trade in programme where you can trade in your non apple cables and get an official cable for $10

http://touch.latimes.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-76926400/

Buffy91423

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2014
I almost never use the apple chargers for my iPod or iPhones, but my boyfriend and my boss do and today she left hers plugged into the computer as normal (it is the official apple one) and the top part where the cable n the lighting area meet started melting randomly burnt my finger picking it up to see what the burning smell was and quickly unplugged it but now it is no longer usable but all of my 3rd party chargers have never had a single problem now I'm not sure how much I trust the apple made ones

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.