Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

silvertogold

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2014
I love Apple and their products.. I am a devoted user, have several of their products, and proudly campaign as to the "awesomeness that Apple is" to anyone who will listen. HOWEVER, This latest commercial regarding the Ipad and 'verse' is really annoyingly long and boring.

I was at a relatives home recently, when the commercial aired. 2 of the 4 others present watched that commercial and felt compelled to voice their dislike?!?!?!?!?!? I knew what Apple was selling, but the immediate audience did not and I had to agree with two comments that were made following that broadcast...

"That commercial was boring and stupid!"
"Yea, and annoyingly long, so what were they pushing?"

the other two nodded in agreement :/ I didn't personally think the commercial was that great either, but I felt let down by apple when others hated it. What happened to their creativity? Hey Apple - you need to refocus on what got you to where you are. I think this latest advertisement campaign was / is a flop! sorry all - had vent -

Oh, and your rapid removal of this post on discussions.apple (less than 60 seconds) was a pathetic attempt of censorship - don't poke the bear, you will get bit!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Oh, and your rapid removal of this post on discussions.apple (less than 60 seconds) was a pathetic attempt of censorship - don't poke the bear, you will get bit!
Just to be clear, apple has plainly stated in their user agreement that their site is for user to user tech support and they reserve the right to remove posts that fall out of that scope.

If you want to complain about an apple products on the apple discussions board, it will get removed. Its not censorship, but rather not the proper platform for such posts.

silvertogold

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2014
be that as it may, I take it as an attempt to hide criticism (albeit constructive).

I think Apple products are superior in most every way, but find it unfortunate that Apple makes no apologies for blocking any criticism (constructive or otherwise) from public view.

Thankfully, there are sites like MacRumors.

I have come to this site many times in search for technical assistance and find it very useful.

Cheers!

----------

Additionally, it may be worthwhile to review our rules and FAQ so you know how things here are run and what is expected. :)

so how did I violate your rules?

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Its an advertisement. I'm sure you'll get over it. In my opinion, Apple's adverts have always sucked, just like Microsoft's, Samsung's and Google's. It is rare I even watch adverts, never mind catching one I like.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
I love Apple and their products.. I am a devoted user, have several of their products, and proudly campaign as to the "awesomeness that Apple is" to anyone who will listen. HOWEVER, This latest commercial regarding the Ipad and 'verse' is really annoyingly long and boring.

I thought it was much less boring (and possibly shorter, but I haven't timed it) than any of those long ads promoting various prescription medications, which are obligated to go through a list of possible risks, side-effects, and disqualifications ("Do not take Soma if you have had hepatitis or recto-cranial inversion, or if you are considering a brain transplant.").

Personally, I've never felt any need to campaign for the "awesomeness that Apple is". I've always felt that's what the company's own ads are for.

Among other things, this means I don't have to rationalize any disparity between any personal campaign and Apple's actual ad campaign. I can see how being on the wrong side of a new doctrinal teaching ad campaign might lead to some cognitive dissonance.

tl;dr: Why the upset? It's not a religion.

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
be that as it may, I take it as an attempt to hide criticism (albeit constructive).

Read the rules. You had to if you signed up for an account there. Those rules state that the forums are for tech support. You broke the rules and your post got yanked. As someone who actually is a higher up member (with reporting rights), I would have have reported it as non tech related.

The Apple forums are not a soapbox to talk about whatever you want. They actually have a section, but you need to be a certain level to post there and that is still moderated.

I think Apple products are superior in most every way, but find it unfortunate that Apple makes no apologies for blocking any criticism (constructive or otherwise) from public view.

It’s in the posted rules. You can’t blame Apple for following rules that it imposes and you agree with.

Thankfully, there are sites like MacRumors.

Yes. MacRumors has different rules. The focus of MR is different from Apple discussions so they will have different rules.

Just to be clear, apple has plainly stated in their user agreement that their site is for user to user tech support and they reserve the right to remove posts that fall out of that scope.

Indeed. You can’t blame Apple for enforcing their own rules.

If you want to complain about an apple products on the apple discussions board, it will get removed. Its not censorship, but rather not the proper platform for such posts.

As a Level 6 user, I can say that I have reported such posts to the mods before (I have access to their full host bar that allows me to contact mods directly). It’s not about suppressing speech. It’s keeping the threads on topic.

Frosty?Flake

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2014
Portland , OR
WRONG! Speeds and feeds are so Microsoft, Dell, HP and so on. Apple typically and subtly introduces new product will minimalist speeds and feeds, great move, you're only competing with yourself and the "next great product from Apple" Then comes the cache of Apple. The inspiration you feel with "it" in your possession. How does "it" inspire you to do new and wonderful things! BRILLIANT

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.