Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ticotoo

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2010
An example folding PPD's

An example of the PPD's for i7-3930K CPU & 4 x Asus GTX Titan GPUs
~244210 PPD

https://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=23944

I would not complain about your 65k PPD without using the GPU's. Optimum CPU virtual cores assigned to folding appear to be N-2. I certainly couldn't afford 4 Titans & the power bill for this machine.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
4 Titan with Core 17 should give you > 150kPPD each; that would be some 600kPPD on GPU only. :D

And yes, the room heat increase while you account melt ... ;)
But we are sliding a bit offtopic now between GPU and CPU folding

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
With the dual D700s I'd be more interested in Bitcoin mining. You'd make your money back in a week with those puppies running full pelt.

No... not even close. You'd barely be able to pay back the cost of the electricity to run the machine at "full pelt."

But if it's a work machine and somebody else is paying for the electricity, you might earn enough to buy a sandwich....

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
I was expecting my Maxed out Mac Pro to do better!

65,000PPD is easily accomplished no?

GPU folding gets you more points. Nvidia is better too but only is available in Windows.

I haven't folded with the w3690 as I just leave the Titans for that when I'm not using it for other things. Them together brought me upwards of 300,000 PPD.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
GPU folding gets you more points. Nvidia is better too but only is available in Windows.

I haven't folded with the w3690 as I just leave the Titans for that when I'm not using it for other things. Them together brought me upwards of 300,000 PPD.

Lucky me you don't fold 24/7 :p

Oh, and those Nvidia cards fold perfectly with Linux too (no AMD GPU with Linux yet because of driver quality). I have ubuntu with two GTX 780 cooking 280kPPD depending not the WU
(Hey, we should move over to DC)

OrangeSVTguy

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2007
Northeastern Ohio
Lucky me you don't fold 24/7 :p

Oh, and those Nvidia cards fold perfectly with Linux too (no AMD GPU with Linux yet because of driver quality). I have ubuntu with two GTX 780 cooking 280kPPD depending not the WU
(Hey, we should move over to DC)

Yeah you're lucky lol.

I haven't been folding lately because of the latest Nvidia Surround drivers causing BSOD when I try to run bezel correction :( I've been down for a week or two. Hopefully I'll be back and running soon.

That and I've been shutting down my computer because of Mavericks crashing. Not a good time to have a Mac Pro I guess lol. I even thought opening a local ad and of seeing if someone would possibly trade for a nMP. 3.46 hex, 48GB 512SSD 2TB Titan SLI could be enticing...

Last edited:

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Really that's considered slow? :eek:

I built a 32-core Opteron dedicated folder a few years ago and it didn't hit 60k PPD for sure!

Also it used too much power and I was paying through the nose for power. It did make for a nice space heater in the winter though!

mrkennethtong

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2013
Really that's considered slow? :eek:

I built a 32-core Opteron dedicated folder a few years ago and it didn't hit 60k PPD for sure!

Also it used too much power and I was paying through the nose for power. It did make for a nice space heater in the winter though!

All those Cores and you didn't get this basic score?!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.