Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Incipio and AT&T have partnered to produce the Cashwrap Mobile Wallet Case, which is an iPhone case that supports NFC and the Isis Mobile Wallet, allowing its users to pay with their smartphones at participating stores.

The Isis Mobile Wallet is an app designed to let users make payments with their phones. The mobile app works with Android apps without the need for a case, but because the iPhone does not support NFC, customers who wish to use Isis will need the Cashwrap case.

incipiocashwallet.jpg
Using the Incipio Cashwrap(TM) Case, consumers with an iPhone 4, 4S, 5, and 5S can utilize the Isis Mobile Wallet® to pay and save at stores with just a tap of their smartphone. The Isis Mobile Wallet holds participating payment and loyalty cards, as well as offers. The Incipio® Cashwrap(TM) Mobile Wallet Case is the only Near Field Communication (NFC) mobile solution for iPhone 5/5s.
The case comes in a variety of color combinations and includes both a secure element microNFC and a Micro-USB cable. Users will also need the free Isis app and a supported account from Wells Fargo, Chase, American Express, and more.

The Cashwrap Mobile Wallet Case can be purchased from the AT&T website for $69.99 and will be in AT&T stores beginning on January 31.

Update: AT&T has also released an iPhone 4/4s version of the OtterBox Defender case that is compatible with the Isis system.

Article Link: Incipio and AT&T Debut 'Cashwrap' iPhone Payment Case With NFC

DaveiOS

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2014
Pass! NFC is dead

Maybe if these were free.

And really a big clunky $80.00 case for NFC AT&T has lost their mind!

There is a reason a NFC chip is not in the iPhone take a hint google!

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Maybe if these were free.

And really a big clunky $80.00 case for NFC AT&T has lost their mind!

There is a reason a NFC chip is not in the iPhone take a hint google!

the rest of the world seems to like it

its kind of like how we still use magnetic strip cards in the US rather than chip and pin

SFO 1K

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2007
A few comments on this:

1. The case covers your Lightning Connector on the bottom of the phone. Charging is available with the supplied USB cable on the side of the case, but it isn't Lightning Connector - it's microUSB.
  2. The headphone jack becomes more recessed and some headsets may not be able to connect.
  3. The supplied USB does not pass iPod information to car stereos, so you may lose the ability to play music from your phone in the car.
  4. On the ISIS platform, you can set up an American Express Serve account which is a prepaid card you can load from another credit, debit or checking account. AMEX will start you off with $20 in credits and you can then receive up to 20% back on purchases, up to $200 in credits. This can more than offset the price of the case.
  5. Additional ISIS incentives include three free Coke purchases tied to MyCokeRewards, and $15 off $30 or more purchase at ToysRUs. Limited Time Offer, check for details at paywithisis.com

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
with other options like ibeacons, square, passbook, paypal, etc. I think it is too soon t commit to a technology for contact free payments. Personally, I am not betting on NFC to win. Been around for a while and has gotten very little traction.

Trik

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2011
Washington, DC
When everyone is on board

I think we'll see NFC in an iPhone when the world is ready for it. Android has released a feature that works with... what? Maybe a handful of retailers? When Apple announces NFC, they will have a slide with the logos of... Walmart, Target, McDonald's, Safeway, Home Depot, Macy's, etc. etc. And they'll have a program set up for "certifying Apple NFC payment" or whatever for retailers.

Put your crap on the belt, cashier rings it out, swipe your phone, verify with thumbprint, leave.

Before it's that easy, you won't see NFC in an Apple phone.

Last edited:

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
why not just wait until Apple release NFC, assuming the iPhone 6 will have it?

Apple is not going to release NFC!! Apple is not going to put a Nfc radio chip in the iPhone 6. Bluetooth LE is so much better for the type of features that phone manufacturers use NFC for. The technology is too old and the radios are too weak. I NFC signal can barely make it through the fabric of your pants.

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
Apple is not going to release NFC!! Apple is not going to put a Nfc radio chip in the iPhone 6. Bluetooth LE is so much better for the type of features that phone manufacturers use NFC for. The technology is too old and the radios are too weak. I NFC signal can barely make it through the fabric of your pants.

low range can be seen as a security feature, particularly for payments

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
low range can be seen as a security feature, particularly for payments
I think it makes better use of technology when you have the option to set the range. Passbook works pretty good so far boarding planes and Starbucks is like a step into the future.

micawoli

macrumors member
May 28, 2010
Does anyone know if this case also serves as an external battery? or is it just powered to use the NFC?

wikiverse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
the rest of the world seems to like it

its kind of like how we still use magnetic strip cards in the US rather than chip and pin

Making credit card purchases in the US is like going back to the Stone Age.

The rest of the world has moved on to paywave or paypass. You don't even need a pin for purchases under $100.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I'lll pass. When I need to make payments with my Google Wallet (and I don't really), I'll use my Google Wallet Mastercard.

BuffaloTF

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2008
Making credit card purchases in the US is like going back to the Stone Age.

The rest of the world has moved on to paywave or paypass. You don't even need a pin for purchases under $100.

Yeah... No. PayPal use will never take off en masse outside of it's forced usage on eBay. Online retailers may think they're wise to accept it, but the lack of customer service, actual security, and fraud prevention will be amplified if we "left the Stone Age" and accepted an unregulated garbage company as our every day processor. How they even exist at all in the EU with their draconian over-aggressive competition guidelines is shocking.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012
Awesome! Now if they just add a notification LED, swipe typing functionality and an all-accessible file browser to that case, I'm ready to buy an iPhone again! :)

jplusc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2010
Los Angeles
I picked this up on Friday and put a quick review on YouTube. It's my first YouTube review so go easy on me if you choose to watch.

http://youtu.be/mvu18jhbfSM

My quick impressions:
I like the case overall, has a good feel in the hand.
Not a fan of the hard plastic for the finish, I would've preferred a soft touch finish.
Sine I have financial institutions supported by Isis as well as frequenting locations that support it, I enjoy the functionality. $69 for the case is steep though no matter how you look at it.
I'll probably keep it. Since I always use a case I mine as we'll use one with added functionality. If I rocked my iPhone without a case this would be a hard sell.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.