Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Over the past several months, iTunes users in the U.K. and several other countries have noticed the availability of the welcome screen of iTunes Radio on their devices, hinting at an upcoming release.

As of today, MacRumors has had a few reports from U.K. and Australian users that have been able to access and listen to iTunes Radio on their iPhones. While some MacRumors forum members in the U.K. have been able to access the service, others say that it is not yet available for them. Similar reports are coming in on Reddit and Twitter.

It appears that most of the users that are able to access and use iTunes Radio had recently wiped and restored their devices, which suggests that iTunes Radio may be accessible after an iPhone reactivates. MacRumors is not, however, recommending that users restore their devices, and it's not clear if this is a temporary glitch as Apple prepares for the U.K. launch.

itunesradiouk.jpg
Image courtesy of @Marcus1090
iTunes Radio, which was first announced in June at the Worldwide Developer's Conference and later became available in September alongside the launch of iOS 7, has thus far been limited to listeners in the United States.

In October, Bloomberg suggested Apple would expand the service to Canada, the U.K., Australia, and New Zealand by early 2014, but the service has remained limited to the U.S. throughout January. While some U.K. users receiving access after a restore could indicate an imminent release, a similar situation arose back in October with some users in Canada and the U.K. temporarily able to access the service.

According to Apple's senior vice president of Internet software and services Eddy Cue, launching iTunes Radio worldwide is a top priority for the company, with Apple ultimately aiming to have the service "in more than 100 countries."

(Thanks, @Marcus1090!)

Article Link: Reports of iTunes Radio Working in the U.K. After iPhone Restore

danbakes

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2014
I'm in New Zealand, just forced closed the music app, turned off my iPhone, turned it back on and opened music and now I have iTunes Radio. Must be a worldwide rollout to the countries that Bloomberg reported starting today?

apernett

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2010
Last week in Colombia (South America) happened exactly the same. iTunes Radio Welcome screen lasted 24 hours only though. Just turned off my iPhone one night and the next morning iTunes Radio was there. Hopefully a huge rollout is coming

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Last week in Colombia (South America) happened exactly the same. iTunes Radio Welcome screen lasted 24 hours only though. Just turned off my iPhone one night and the next morning iTunes Radio was there. Hopefully a huge rollout is coming

The Welcome screen has been around for a while. But actually being able to play music is somewhat new.

arn

hberg22

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2014
Working here in canada for me after a reboot

Edit: Just realized that I have been logged into my American Apple ID. Didn't work after logging in with Canadian one.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 285
Last edited:

schappim

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Unable to replicate

I'm in Sydney, Australia and have been unable to replicate this on my iPhone 5S running iOS 7 nor my iPad Mini also running iOS 7.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
nada in Germany either. but im not surprised with our lovely GEMA. oh well back to my US Account.

Last edited:

Kal El

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2008
Sunderland, UK
Also got it working in the UK. Signed into my US iTuned account, opened the music app, then back into my UK one and it stayed. Listening to iTunes Radio in the UK now.

dtjmiddleton

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2014
Also got it working in the UK. Signed into my US iTuned account, opened the music app, then back into my UK one and it stayed. Listening to iTunes Radio in the UK now.

Likewise. Nice not to have to swap and change accounts. I can finally start building up a credible wish list :)

kmoreau48

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2012
That must be why I had the iTunes Radio button after I restored my iPhone last week. Unfortunately it was telling me that the service was not available at this time.

ShadowExt

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2014
Canada
Working here in canada for me after a reboot

I haven't seen it after multiple attempts

----------

I'm in Canada and i haven't seen it, but a friend has shown me the welcome screen last weekend. I'm on iOS 7.1 B4. for those of you that have been able to access and play music, what versions are you currently running? And also are you subscribed to iTunes match?

Last edited:

apernett

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2010
I see a huge rollout coming for iTunes Radio in various world areas. *Crashes his crystal ball*

jimbob87

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2014
.....yawn

I don't know anyone that has even heard of iTunes radio here in the UK let alone iTunes match.

Apple really are behind in streaming.

Especially since Spotify on Mobile in now free (shuffled playlists not on-demand) so that effectively replicates iTunes Radio.

Aside from the iTunes vouchers i get for christmas presents i can't remember the last time i spent money on the iTunes store.

springsup

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2013
nada in Germany either. but im not surprised with our lovely GEMA. oh well back to my US Account.

Thank you for nothing GEMA.

GEMA are awful, it's agreed.

----------

I don't know anyone that has even heard of iTunes radio here in the UK let alone iTunes match.

Apple really are behind in streaming.

Especially since Spotify on Mobile in now free (shuffled playlists not on-demand) so that effectively replicates iTunes Radio.

Aside from the iTunes vouchers i get for christmas presents i can't remember the last time i spent money on the iTunes store.

...maybe because iTunes Radio doesn't exist in the UK yet?

When it launches, iTR will be a hit. People who listen to lots of music went to Spotify a long time ago, but the Mums&Dads who only listen occasionally are a big part of the market and are up for grabs.

To that end, having a streaming service built right in to the Music app is going to help them massively. Those people will just tap 'Music', type in some music they like, and stuff will start playing. That's a huge win for Apple over Spotify. Apple are lucky they don't have a monopoly in the smartphone space, or this wouldn't be possible (in the same way Microsoft bundling IE with Windows was deemed anticompetitive).

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
iTunes Radio in Canada with iTunes Match

I restarted my iPhone and saw nothing. I re-activated iTunes Match, restarted and it iTunes Radio came on. Looks like they're set for a worldwide launch any day now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.