Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SamGabbay

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 15, 2011
Didn't know where to post this so maybe someone will move it touts correct location?

I spotted his yacht in St. Martin today. Was awesome seeing all those iMacs at the captains desk. Looks like a heck of a vessel.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 280

trewyn15

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2013
Very cool! Still wish Steve was around to enjoy it. Anyone know who has it now?

18f09b1c.jpg

----------

Here's another pretty cool page, shows the current location of the yacht:

http://www.yachtingmagazine.com/yachting-news-headlines/steve-jobss-superyacht-in-florida

----------

Very cool! Still wish Steve was around to enjoy it. Anyone know who has it now?

----------

Here's another pretty cool page, shows the current location of the yacht:

http://www.yachtingmagazine.com/yachting-news-headlines/steve-jobss-superyacht-in-florida

and a good read:

http://allaboutstevejobs.com/pics/stevesplaces/yacht.php

:apple:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Am I the only person on these fora who actually dislikes the design of this yacht?

I see it as over-engineered, and not quite proportionate, and, rarely, for the late Mr Jobs, not exactly something that works (at least, not to my eye) as an example of great design and elegance. It has too much of the look of Le Corbusier about it, to my eye, and, while the lines are clean, the overall appearance and effect is not all that attractive.

I have read that the designer Phillippe Starck is supposed to have been part of the design team for the yacht.

Some years ago, he designed what looked like the most exquisite (computer) mouse I had ever seen. Initially, it got stunning reviews, because it looked drop-dead gorgeous. I'll readily admit I was hooked, and, most certainly would have bought it, but my teaching salary at the time didn't allow for those sort of extravagant impulse purchases. Anyway, the passage of time allowed for a more realistic appraisal, as the mouse was examined for performance and not simply appearance. Apparently, as a computer mouse, it was perfectly dreadful. This meant, that to me, it failed the test of good design, which is that you attempt to craft, or create, something that works in terms of a fusion of form and function. If it doesn't do what it is supposed to do, it fails the design test.

Ever since the debacle of the mouse, I have harboured questions about the offerings coming from the office of Mr Starck.

jeremy h

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
UK
Am I the only person on these fora who actually dislikes the design of this yacht?

No you are not. Having to go to sea in something that resembles a trendy block of flats with an interior (from what I've seen) that looks like an iPhone (lots of smooth stainless steel and big open spaces with nothing to hang onto to) would make me make sure I pack my sea-sickness pills and perhaps some of those very grippy climbing shoes. Don't like the look of it at all.

As for Starck - he does follow the form follows function maxim but one of the key functions is for him is for us to think Stark and "oooh - shiny" (as opposed to designing something that just quietly and unobtrusively works.)

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene

No, I find it surprisingly distasteful, and there is something about that captian's desk that really grates on my nerves.

I dislike the yacht for another reason too, but were I to voice it here numerous people would seize on the statement. This thread would take a sharp right turn into PRSI, and I have no real interest in seeing that happen.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado

I see it as over-engineered, and not quite proportionate, and, rarely, for the late Mr Jobs, not exactly something that works (at least, not to my eye) as an example of great design and elegance. It has too much of the look of Le Corbusier about it, to my eye, and, while the lines are clean, the overall appearance and effect is not all that attractive.

No, I don't like it either.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
People have posted spotting his yacht in the past and many agree the design isn't really what one may think had come from the mind of Steve Jobs. I wouldn't be sad if it were my yacht though.

trewyn15

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2013
Add me to the "Don't like the design" list. In the photo of the captain's desk, does anyone else notice the slightly open cupboard door and cord running across the deck? Another indication of a bad design, imo.

I like it because it's not cookie cutter.

That cupboard and wire could be because it may have still been getting worked on. The photo seems like it was sneaked so it could have still been in port.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I like it because it's not cookie cutter.
I think you can have a beautiful design and not being cookie cutter. For me, the yacht does not have nice lines, its visually a stark, cold design without the elegant flowing design I would want in a design.

Just my $.02 :)

trewyn15

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2013
I think you can have a beautiful design and not being cookie cutter. For me, the yacht does not have nice lines, its visually a stark, cold design without the elegant flowing design I would want in a design.

Just my $.02 :)

I'll agree with that, I've seen plenty of better looking yachts and smaller for that matter. It's unique for sure, doesn't mean it's great looking.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I think I over used the word "design" in my post, but you get my drift (pun intended :p) For a boat, I expect to see some beautiful curves and flowing lines, especially for a yacht that costs millions. While it may be a technical marvel inside, the exterior is just to harsh and cold for my taste

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.