Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lucille Carter

Suspended
Jul 3, 2013
And assuming that it has NOTHING to do with RAM will do what exactly to fix all the problems?

Like most others, it will improve with a software update.

Won't fix all the problems but will greatly improve Safari.

Again you have few choices except to wait of check out a WIndows device:eek:

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Stop deluding yourself. This is a hardware problem and won't get fixed. Go to Settings > General > About > Diagnostics & usage > diagnostics and usage data, you will see a "LowMemory" error and the date it happened (today in your case).

You are more knowledgable about this then I am however my 4S has TONS of low memory entries (at least once a day since iOS 7 was released) with no crashing issues what so ever (nothing notable anyway). So just a low memory entry doesn't indicate a user noticeable fault.

Plus iOS 7.1 has been working great on my dev friends 5S according to him and he was very upset with it's performance prior.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
Stop deluding yourself. This is a hardware problem and won't get fixed. Go to Settings > General > About > Diagnostics & usage > diagnostics and usage data, you will see a "LowMemory" error and the date it happened (today in your case).

And since when a lowMemory error is an indicator of an hardware issue ?

Never hear about memory leaks ?

----------

Your right. I guess I don't need one- i want one but apple needs to start actually competing with the competitors like samsung it is like apple is bringing a "sword to a gunfight". They just aren't putting the best specs into what they claim i the best and most advanced phone.

Apple doesn't need to compete with Samsung. It is quite the contrary.
Samsung and any other competitors are just releasing "more of the same", and the only weapon they have to win between a crowd of uninspiring devices is to pump up specs to appeal customer like you.
I don't really need to know how much ram there is in my iPad if it works flawlessly. I don't need to know about how many MHz my iPad 's CPU sports, if it is snappy.
Let that war to Samesung clones ....

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
I would say Apple's money milking on yearly incremental upgrades is also a threat to innovation. If there is no one around to push the specs in a faster way, it would take Apple to year 2020 to offer 2 GB of RAM, due to their greed having no limits.

Now Apple is in total control over how fast the software in their ecosystem can evolve. Developers cannot make games or apps that they would otherwise do if they had 2 GB of RAM. And there would be no excuse to reload tabs in Safari every few minutes, wasting your data plan, together with pure annoyance.

But of course, we don't need 2 GB of RAM, no matter what, according to some people here. It's all about pushing for better memory management, right...

If Apple even introduce an iPad Pro this year, I bet they will give it 2 GB of RAM, but leave the Air and mini still with 1 GB for another year, due to "product differentiation" for the "professionals". I've seen how Apple plays their game, year after year. It's truly innovation...

This is just nonsense, since Apple is offering better products year after year.
I was very satisfied by my iPad 2, and when I bought my iPad 4 it was better on any way, and I was very satisfied with that too. Now I bought my iPad Air and is better than iPad 4 and I'm very satisfied with that.
Let Samsung speak about cores, MHz and ram .... I just want a device that satisfy my expectations. I think the only problem on my iPad air is the poor memory management of iOS 7 in this early stage. And I'm quite confident to have it solved by next major update.
I'd like to see 2 Gb of ram on my next iPad, but it's not a priority for me.

----------

I'll leave out the specs of the two devices in this video. You can decide which is a better web browsing experience.

YouTube: video

If Chrome on iOS is a total crappy software, go blame Google.
I'm using Safari or mercury and performance are just amazing.

----------

Please tell me the excuse you have for the poor safari performance in this video.

YouTube: video

And after Safari crashed, I went into settings > general > about > diagnostics and usage > diagnostic and usage data, and guess what I see, "LowMemory" error, aka no more ram left to use.

Performance are quite ok on the mini in that video. It seem to load the page faster than the android device.
The crash is caused by the memory leak in Safari under iOS 7, but I can browse that page on my iPad without any crash.

----------

Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't the iPhone 4s have only 512mb of ram? And that is a 32 bit device. It is pretty rare to see this amount of low memory errors in the diagnostics logs on the 4s.

The iPad Air /rMini have 1gb and the device is 64bit. So it does stand to reason that memory management for the 64bit architecture does need some work. I do believe that once Apple does some 64bit optimization particularly in the area of memory management these issues will be resolved.

Considering both devices are running the same IOS 7.0.4 I do believe it is indeed the fact that the OS is not refined enough in the area of 64bit.

You are right.
Memory management on 64 bit iOS 7 needs to be refined, while on my iPad 4 was better.
It's not the quantity of ram the problem, but the way it's managed.

----------

Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't the iPhone 4s have only 512mb of ram? And that is a 32 bit device. It is pretty rare to see this amount of low memory errors in the diagnostics logs on the 4s.

The iPad Air /rMini have 1gb and the device is 64bit. So it does stand to reason that memory management for the 64bit architecture does need some work. I do believe that once Apple does some 64bit optimization particularly in the area of memory management these issues will be resolved.

Considering both devices are running the same IOS 7.0.4 I do believe it is indeed the fact that the OS is not refined enough in the area of 64bit.

You are right.
Memory management on 64 bit iOS 7 needs to be refined, while on my iPad 4 was better.

vgamedude

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2013
I was very satisfied by my iPad 2, and when I bought my iPad 4 it was better on any way, and I was very satisfied with that too. Now I bought my iPad Air and is better than iPad 4 and I'm very satisfied with that.
Let Samsung speak about cores, MHz and ram .... I just want a device that satisfy my expectations. I think the only problem on my iPad air is the poor memory management of iOS 7 in this early stage. And I'm quite confident to have it solved by next major update.

----------

If Chrome on iOS is a total crappy software, go blame Google.
I'm using Safari or mercury and performance are just amazing.

----------

Performance are quite ok on the mini in that video. It seem to load the page faster than the android device.
The crash is caused by the memory leak in Safari under iOS 7, but I can browse that page on my iPad without any crash.

----------

You are right.

----------

You are right.

>You are right.
It's not the quantity of ram the problem, but the way it's managed

I love how you're just saying that with absolute certainty. Tell me, how can you be sure? It's been a couple of months since the airs release and there is no fix, why do you assume this next software update will remove the issue?

I think at most it will improve it but I can't see it working smashingly regardless.

Mackan

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007

It's not nonsense. Competition is good. If there is no competition, companies stagnate, and only focus on how to rip their customers off. By having Android and OEMs there to push for better and faster specs, you'll see better and faster specs from Apple as well. They have no choice, even if they prefer to go their own way. Now you'll likely see bigger iPhones this year, only thanks to the competition. The iPad mini was a result of the competition as well.

iOS 7 on the new A7 64 bit devices is a memory regression compared to the same 1 GB devices from 2012. And you just swallow and accept that, and throw out some argument that it will be magically fixed by software updates? No, you'll likely see a slight improvement with 7.1, but that's it. There's no magical fix for a lack of physical RAM.

Good that you are satisfied, but I don't see how anyone can be satisfied with having tabs reloading in Safari every few minutes. Or have Safari crash due to low memory, which has already been proven by folks here. Apple could provide a much better experience for you if they had added 2 GB of RAM. Why would you say no to that? Your device will be more futureproof as well. Why would you say no to that?

It would be better if people grew some balls and recognized when critique toward Apple is justified, instead of just joining the line of exploitment.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
>You are right.
It's not the quantity of ram the problem, but the way it's managed

I love how you're just saying that with absolute certainty. Tell me, how can you be sure? It's been a couple of months since the airs release and there is no fix, why do you assume this next software update will remove the issue?

I think at most it will improve it but I can't see it working smashingly regardless.

I performed quite a lot of test on the issue.
Comparing an iPad 4 and an iPad Air, and an iPhone 5 and a 5S, all restored as new and all with the same exact apps installed.
After a fresh boot the difference in free ram is a non factor (20-30 Mb ). Using apps, especially Safari, the difference is bigger but not by much (50-60 Mb).
The problem occurs when you close apps: while on 32 bit devices the ram is freed up until almost the same original free value, on 64 bit devices most of the ram remains unavailable.
That, coupled with Safari 64 bit that seems to be a ram hog , could cause crashes, reloads and resprings.

----------

It's not nonsense. Competition is good. If there is no competition, companies stagnate, and only focus on how to rip their customers off. By having Android and OEMs there to push for better and faster specs, you'll see better and faster specs from Apple as well. They have no choice, even if they prefer to go their own way. Now you'll likely see bigger iPhones this year, only thanks to the competition. The iPad mini was a result of the competition as well.

iOS 7 on the new A7 64 bit devices is a memory regression compared to the same 1 GB devices from 2012. And you just swallow and accept that, and throw out some argument that it will be magically fixed by software updates? No, you'll likely see a slight improvement with 7.1, but that's it. There's no magical fix for a lack of physical RAM.

Good that you are satisfied, but I don't see how anyone can be satisfied with having tabs reloading in Safari every few minutes. Or have Safari crash due to low memory, which has already been proven by folks here. Apple could provide a much better experience for you if they had added 2 GB of RAM. Why would you say no to that? Your device will be more futureproof as well. Why would you say no to that?

It would be better if people grew some balls and recognized when critique toward Apple is justified, instead of just joining the line of exploitment.

The lack of physical ram is your supposition not proved in any way.
iOS 7 is much more refined than Android and it's apple to orange comparison the one you are making.
On a 2 Gb android device you have slightly more than 800 Mb of free ram, while on a 1 Gb iDevice you are just short of 600 Mb. It's not a 2:1 ratio.

We are facing a memory management issue here, not a design flaw.
I'd like to have 2 Gb of ram on ly next iPad and iPhone, for sure, but I don't think this is actually influencing my user experience at all.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
How come no one has mentioned memory compression?

I thought in the keynote they said IOS7 would have memory compression as well as mavericks?

That's a good point but I don't recall seeing that in iOS7. Remember iOS7 came out before Mavericks did, so its probable to expect to see this in iOS8.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.