Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

carfac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 18, 2006
OK, so I am in the middle of moving over 100's of movies from VIDEO_TS to mp4 using hanfdbreak- thank God for queues!

Anyway, once I get this done, I am wondering the best way to add these to iTunes. I am worried that when I add them, iTunes will move the movies into the iTunes directory- and there is NOT room there!

I like to keep my iTunes music folder all organized- I have a boat load of music (speaking of which, iTunes USED to tell you how many songs and albums you had- WHERE did that go????) My music directory is 350 Gigs (I keep everything lossless)

Anyway, how can I keep my movies where they are, and yet keep mu music organized.... on different hard drives? OR should I?

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
OK, so I am in the middle of moving over 100's of movies from VIDEO_TS to mp4 using hanfdbreak- thank God for queues!

Anyway, once I get this done, I am wondering the best way to add these to iTunes. I am worried that when I add them, iTunes will move the movies into the iTunes directory- and there is NOT room there!

I like to keep my iTunes music folder all organized- I have a boat load of music (speaking of which, iTunes USED to tell you how many songs and albums you had- WHERE did that go????) My music directory is 350 Gigs (I keep everything lossless)

Anyway, how can I keep my movies where they are, and yet keep mu music organized.... on different hard drives? OR should I?
No problem. In iTunes preferences, Advanced tab, uncheck both "Have iTunes keep media file organized" and "Copy files to iTunes media folder when adding media to the library". By unchecking these, it basically puts everything under your control. Put your files wherever you want them, go into iTunes and "Add to Library" (or drag them from wherever they are into iTunes). Viola!

Of course, the downside to doing it this way is if you ever move or delete files, iTunes will lose track of that and you will get and exclamation mark next to the movie in iTunes indicating that the file could not be found. Then you have to do in and fix that.

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
I have the iTunes media folder moved to external, more spacious drive. All the checkboxes mentioned in previous post, are checked.
You can change Media Folder location in the same Advanced Preferences view.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
speaking of which, iTunes USED to tell you how many songs and albums you had- WHERE did that go????
Still there at the bottom when I select Song or Albums. Where are you looking?

It's either/or. Should is your call.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.