Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rchawks

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2014
When purchasing a new MacBook what are some of the things a buyer should check to make sure there's isn't some kind of defect from the manufacturing.

Last edited:

TjeuV

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2011
Belgium
When purchasing a new MacBook what are some of the things a buyer should check to make sure there's isn't some kind of defect from the manufacturing.

Inspect for any dents on the outside. Concerning the hardware - the insides - that's going to turn itself out while using your computer. Look for any dead pixels on your screen, see if boottime isn't abnormally long, every key on your keyboard works ...

kelon111

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2013

Test RAM (e.g. use memtest x86+)
Test CPU (e.g. use Intel burn test in Windows?)
Test GPU (e.g. Furmark?)

Physically inspect and test all keyboard keys
Physically inspect screen and the chassis

Rchawks

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2014
Inspect for any dents on the outside. Concerning the hardware - the insides - that's going to turn itself out while using your computer. Look for any dead pixels on your screen, see if boottime isn't abnormally long, every key on your keyboard works ...

Thanks, This will be my first MBP and I was wondering what the long time MacBook owners would look for in this product. Manufacturing is not a perfect science and a new item, even from Apple can have issues. Things like dead pixels, sluggish boot up, weak wifi, or whatever. Just trying to learn of the unknowns. This is a great site with a lot of smart people, and I'm grateful for the positive responses from it's members.:D:)

Last edited:

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
And please be aware that just because you see a number of threads about <xxxzzz> problem on <MBP,rMBP,MBA> doesn't mean that you will have an issue.

I have purchased 7 Macs since 2005, and none have had any hardware issues. I have a new rMBP and a new MBA, and there are no dead pixels, no broken ports, no slow bootup, battery is fine.

People generally don't start threads "My MBA runs great!" as frequently as they start threads about problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.