Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Julzz5977

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2014
Stranded in Tennessee
I wanted more drive space, so I downloaded monolingual. It took over my computer! Not really, but it is everywhere, and I can't get rid of it. If I open a finder window, there is the logo, and it is BIG! It is also on my desktop, right next to my Macintosh HD. I have tried 2 different programs (app zapper and app cleaner), tried going into the Library and finding the files to manually delete it (its not there). I keep dragging it to the trash, it pops right back up on the desktop.

I didn't use the program, after it infested my mac like it did, I lost all confidence in it.

How do I delete this crapware for good? Im running Mavericks on my Early 2011 MacBook Pro

Julzz

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I wanted more drive space, so I downloaded monolingual. It took over my computer! Not really, but it is everywhere, and I can't get rid of it. If I open a finder window, there is the logo, and it is BIG! It is also on my desktop, right next to my Macintosh HD. I have tried 2 different programs (app zapper and app cleaner), tried going into the Library and finding the files to manually delete it (its not there). I keep dragging it to the trash, it pops right back up on the desktop.

I didn't use the program, after it infested my mac like it did, I lost all confidence in it.

How do I delete this crapware for good? Im running Mavericks on my Early 2011 MacBook Pro

Julzz

Interesting...I have Monolingual installed and have never had a problem.

Anyway, this is the best way to completely remove an app.

Nov 28, 2010
located
You are probably seeing the still mounted disk image.
What happens if you right click on the disk image on the Desktop and choose EJECT?
What happens when you click the EJECT button in Finder's Sidebar on the right of the disk image?
MR2ss_2014_01_22_pA1_FinderEjectDiskImage
Have you looked at System Preferences > Users & Groups > your account > Login Item to verify Monolingual is not mentioned there?

If that does not apply, Shrink's link is the best method to uninstall something COMPLETELY.

Julzz5977

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2014
Stranded in Tennessee
Ok, I think something is weird. the Library/LaunchAgents folder has 9 things, none of them monolingual. The ~/Library/LaunchAgents folder only has 2 items in it. The /Library/StartupItems has one folder in it. None of them have monolingual. Except the open window has the logo.

When I right click to eject the thing on the desktop, it works! Then the next time I click on something else, it pops back up. Grrrr...

I tried to empty the trash, but it wouldn't complete because Monolingual was in use. Of all things!

I'm going to bed, and will take this up again after work tomorrow. I appreciate all your help, thank you so much.

Julie

Last edited:

Julzz5977

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2014
Stranded in Tennessee
I'm back to try to sort this out. I have spent the past few days moving my stuff to externals. If I can't fix this, I want to kill it and start over. I cloned the drive with Carbon Copy Cloner, but I am afraid that if there is a problem I would just be putting the same problem back.

I'm starting to wonder if there isn't a glitch in my system. Adobe CC won't update. I can't empty the trash (everything is gone except 'monolingual').

I have tried to follow the steps you have listed for me, and I don't think things are as they should be. example:

when I go to System Preferences >Users and Groups > My Account > Login Items, the only thing listed is Dropbox, and it is unchecked. but yet it starts when I log in. Shouldn't there be a song list of login items?

Julie

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
when I go to System Preferences >Users and Groups > My Account > Login Items, the only thing listed is Dropbox, and it is unchecked. but yet it starts when I log in. Shouldn't there be a song list of login items?

Julie
You should delete Dropbox from the login items list if you don't want it to run on login : select it and click the "-" sign.

As for Monolingual I think you made something wrong.

Just in case, you might use Disk utility to check the disk, and repair the permissions. Then restart.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
If you elect to use such apps, be aware that in most cases, app removal software doesn't do a thorough job of finding and removing files/folders related to deleted apps. For more information, read this and this. If you just want to delete the app, drag the .app file to the trash. No other software needed. If you want to completely remove all associated files/folders, no removal apps will do the job.
The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

Julzz5977

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 21, 2014
Stranded in Tennessee
got it!

OK, thanks everybody, I finally got it, thanks to your good information. It was the link you put up about deleting an app.

It was the third or fourth effort, and I learned some things in the process.

Thank you, I appreciate this forum and all the time people put into it.

Woohoo! I deleted Appzapper, and AppCleaner, I'm on a roll! Thanks again.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.