Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
They did pioneering work with the Macintosh. It's amazing to me that they made this computer in the early 80's because it feels like an early 90's computer. Microsoft really were so far behind until the Windows 95 user interface.

I use my windows computers like tools and I appreciate them but I have always loved my Macs. Maybe because they were all portable, maybe because of the smiling face on the dock but it always felt like this is my Mac and it's almost like owning a pet. Especially those early iBooks.

I'm incredibly grateful.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Finally, don't forget to keep your sense of humor. True artist not only ship, but laugh!

The Finder, and Mac OS in general, have become really dour since OS X was introduced and brought in all the serious-workstation feel of NeXTSTEP. At least Aqua was full of color and tangible bits, but they've been slowly turning everything to depressing shades of grey. I do miss the playfulness of Susan Kare's iconography and the little bits of humor in the OS.

Sardonick007

macrumors regular
May 18, 2011
Coolest thing I've seen today aside from watching the video and reliving that small moment in time. Only sad thing (subjective) is how much everyone has aged and the gaping hole left by Jobs. Awesome nostalgia.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
"Don't forget about the little Mac Man who used to run across the desktop every once in a while."

Wait, what? I've looked everywhere for this easter egg and I can't find it. What is it?

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
"Everybody looks at Apple and says 'what would Apple do?' and everybody is copying Apple. So something that Steve did and all the people who he hired made Apple have a particular way of thinking and particular passion for the user of the product that is here today for years and years so I think that's amazing."

This is the important. You know you have made a difference when all of your competitors (MS as said in the article, Samsung and others in their products) keep asking What would Apple do.

Jobs told Cook don't try to be Jobs, try to be the best Cook you can be. And the competition needs to learn this. Don't keep trying to be Apple. Try to be the best MS or the best Samsung or the best whoever they can be. Keep innovating, stay fresh and don't lose your own company's identity.

Sandstorm

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2011
Riga, Latvia
well ... this is awkward

my german jaw just dropped on the floor seeing that picture on top :eek:

How many more years have to pass until we can use our hands freely and not worry if we accidentally make a gesture (to point at things, wave or whatever) similar to one used by one criminal organisation that was eradicated generations ago? :rolleyes:

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
The Finder, and Mac OS in general, have become really dour since OS X was introduced and brought in all the serious-workstation feel of NeXTSTEP. At least Aqua was full of color and tangible bits, but they've been slowly turning everything to depressing shades of grey. I do miss the playfulness of Susan Kare's iconography and the little bits of humor in the OS.

Agree with this. It used to be great fun searching for Easter eggs in OS 9. I remember even Adobe products had hidden Easter eggs, as did Quark. Fun times.

Great article by the way. Very moving. 

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
neat...

Of course people who work hard, play hard, and need to hold these "celebrations"....

You don't see PC people do this ? Probably because Apple's the only company that are proud of what they do.....

This says allot for others.

DaveTheNerd

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2006
This was, indeed, a fantastic event. The opportunities for being able to see the members of the original Mac team discuss their origins together are, by definition, dwindling in number. Given who was involved behind the scenes (Gabreal Franklin, specifically), I would expect we'll see a professionally-produced video of this sometime very soon. Keep on the lookout for that.

And at the risk of being self-serving I'll offer a wholesale correction to the article. The evening didn't start with videos of the Mac team... it started with a performance by the Macworld All-Star Band. This band consists of Paul Kent (of IDG), Bob LeVitus (Houston Chronicle, et al), Bryan Chaffin (the Mac Observer), Chuck LaTournous (also TMO), Duane Straub (UC Berkeley), Chris Breen (Macworld) and me (Dave Hamilton). The MWASB is the band that plays annually at the Cirque du Mac party at Macworld Expo.

Just figured that should be noted, especially given everything the producers of the event went through to ensure they had us there. :)

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009
As a De Anza College alumnus (I did my associate's degree there before transferring to a four-year university for a bachelor's), this excellent article makes me feel both proudness and sadness. I'm proud that Apple chose De Anza College's Flint Center to introduce a truly world-changing technology—one of the most world-changing computing products in history. But it saddens me how De Anza College never mentions any of this anywhere, and I'm guessing that over 99% of students there have no idea about this. Other colleges proudly mention their (relatively far smaller) historical connections, but De Anza College doesn't utter a peep about such things. In my time at De Anza College, I never once heard or seen the name "Steve Wozniak" printed or mentioned anywhere. Perhaps well over 99% of current students have no clue that the man who single-handedly invented the personal computer as we know it—Steve Wozniak—is a De Anza College alumnus. Woz completed his freshman and sophomore years of college at De Anza College before transferring to UC Berkeley as a junior.

I looked at the most current issue (as of this posting) of De Anza College's student newspaper, La Voz, and there was no mention of the 30th anniversary of the Macintosh.

Like any college, names on campus plaques, signs, buildings and streets come at a big pricetag. I'm sure DeAnza had the "Will put the sign up for money." talk as Jobs and company threw money at Stanford and Berkeley.

----------

I'd love to use an original Macintosh. And maybe write a book on one.

When you do that, a "Where are they now?" section is in order. The about hundred of people that worked on the original Mac had very divergent paths after the launch of the first Mac. Many ended up retiring just a few years ago at Apple.

Some took a brass ring thrown at them outside Apple when the product launched. Many quit when Steve was fired to follow him into NeXT. Many came back into Apple with Steve returning. All are very good stories. Then there is the Atkinson start-up General Magic that is worth a book or so all to itself. Have fun!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.