Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DomC

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
I'd also expect some blur and translucency effects in a few places, but not in anyway that is central to the experience like it is on iOS.

So they think that crap is central to the iOS experience?
That explains a lot.

iSRS

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
A little flatter tweak here or there would be nice.

I hope to see the unified notifications centre which was announced with Mavericks and never saw the light of day. Im not sure if it was dropped because some app devs charge for apps on iOS or OSX which give notifications that they don't on the other app, but its a shame, all push notifications go through Apples data centre so I don't see why they can't appear on all devices and intelligently know which ones have been seen.

While I agree with it should just work, I don't think that was ever what was stated (unified NC) - I think it is what many sites early on interpreted Apple to mean, but was not, in fact, what was meant. But I would like it to be so, only as long as you have the choice to turn them off on you Mac as you see fit, on an app/site by app/site basis.

yeah but even so... we should just be at OS XI now.

Or, you know, Xi.... (for the "one experience" that Microsoft is touting - which I am currently AGAINST)

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
As long as the bright colors stay in iOS and it runs well on my late-2013 rMBP. The mid-2009 MBP may be a stretch, but it's not struggling too much with Mavericks.

elgrecomac

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
San Diego
100% agree

I would like them to focus on reliability and making the OS more efficient. I can't stand how much of a resource hog OSX has become.

I'm not going to compare it to Windows in this regard....yet. But sometimes bigger, or fatter is not better.

fastlanephil

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2007
That's all well and good but Apple needs to fix the bugs in 10.9 also. Such as networking two Macs using ethernet. I spent weeks trying to get it to work until I finally found a post about the workaround.

And then there is the screen problem using Apple's Target Display Mode. You go back to the original desktop and your windows are stuck up in the corner. You have to change your screen resolution to move the windows back out of the corner.

How did these blatantly major bugs get by Apple's developers? :confused:

Atomic Wasp

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2013
I like most of the look of OS X 10.9: the blurred-out reflections in the dock; the variety of shapes of application icons. But I would like to see some iOS 7 looks appear such as for Notification Centre, LaunchPad folders, and maybe the menu bar could be more translucent as it feels like it takes up a lot of the screen.

Also I would really like Siri Integration.

ProjectedLight

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2011
Macrumors should bother to state that this isn't a report by 9to5Mac but rather a rare opinion piece by the ever-reliable Mark Gurman. It should also be said that iCloud.com's redesign somewhat contradicts his opinion.

HenryCase

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2014
10.10 == 10.1 == Puma

At least call it "10.9.5".

I'd expect this from maybe Tupperware, or Victoria's Secret (the next generation of our best bra ever!), but not an engineering/tech company.

Basic math, Apple. You're not gonna keep the education market like this...

OTOH, there's no such thing as bad publicity, right?

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
I'd be happy if the contacts icon for OSX gets changed to the same as the one for iOS. For some reason that always trips me up. I'm looking for the shadow head icon on my mac and can't ever find it because it's just a book. That level of incongruity is a PITA.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Whenever I see 10.10 I cringe, 10.10=10.1

Yes, it takes some getting used to, but that's the way software versioning works.

10.12 > 10.11 > 10.10 > 10.9 > 10.8 > 10.7, etc.

In the normal math world, 10.1, 10.11, 10.12, 10.2, but not in software, as the dot does not mean decimal, instead it separates large-vs-small changes. In software, 10.10.10 is allowed, makes no sense in math.

It's not just Apple, it's everywhere....
The Linux Kernel's current version is 3.13
Google Chrome's current version is 33.0.1750.51 (Platform version: 5116.45.0)

Starflyer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2003

I'd expect this from maybe Tupperware, or Victoria's Secret (the next generation of our best bra ever!), but not an engineering/tech company.

Basic math, Apple.

How is 10.9.5 ok but not 10.10? neither are decimals.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
Bring it on.

Now how about a new file system? HFS+ is long in the tooth compared to newer ones being developed.

as a user, how is that so? how is the file system letting me down and how would my experience be better w/ a new one?

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
Because it's obvious they'll never do that.

No, it isn't. iOS had a congruent design language with OSX until iOS 7. They will make both iOS and OSX congruent in design once again in the near future. Come back to me in a year and a half or so and we can chat about who's right. ;)

Xe89

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2009
Yes, they can call it 10.10 and no, "New" is not part of the iPad brand, they just call it the new iPad because it's the latest model.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA

Basic math, Apple. You're not gonna keep the education market like this...

OTOH, there's no such thing as bad publicity, right?

As others have mentioned, it's a software version, not a numeric decimal. 10.10 denotes the 10th version of OS X (X=10). If you're going as a straight numeric decimal, then how are you ok with 10.9.5? It's mathemically incorrect to have 2 decimals in a number.

10.10 is a naming convention for software, and is perfectly acceptable as such.

solipsism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2008

What math did you learn that allows for 2 decimal points to be used within a single value? Perhaps you need to realize these are whole numbers separated by points, not a linear array of digits that represents a real number with every decimal place indicating a multiple of a negative power of 10 (i.e.: decimal fraction).

Suspended
Sep 25, 2010
I really don't get it why many people are so resistent to change, especially when the don't know how the end result will look like, and when they know they don't even test it. That's also the reason why many people are still working with stoneaged Windows XP. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.