Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's new Mac Pro is immaculately designed to waste as little space as possible, but for a multi-thousand dollar machine, many businesses and schools will look for a way to secure the machine so it isn't easily stolen.

Some owners have built custom locking systems, while Apple uses an ethernet-based security cable at its Apple Retail Stores that doesn't actually lock the device, but it does set off an alarm if someone tries to steal it.

For those uninterested in the "do-it-yourself" look, MacLocks.com has created a new security bracket that tucks inside the edges of the rear access panel, around the power cord, adding a more permanent security solution to the Mac Pro.

macprolock.jpg
The new Mac Pro Lock Bracket with Security Cable Lock fits comfortably underneath the cylinder lid to offer complete protection of the device and its hardware components. By designing the Mac Pro Lock to fit the curvature of the new Mac Pro and the bracket plate to sit securely over the power cable the lid is now doubly locked into place. The bracket plate has an extended lip that will allow you to attach the included Security Cable Lock ensuring your Mac Pro workstation and all its impressive (and expensive) hardware are not going anywhere.
The Mac Pro Lock Security Bracket is available for preorder from MacLocks.com for $90. The company estimates it will ship by late February.

Article Link: Third-Party Security Lock for New Mac Pro Announced

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
It has to be black or it looks stupid. It is a minimal design though and is cheap compared to coat of product.

Suspended
Oct 28, 2012
I'd imagine having to unplug all of the accessories would put a potential thief off just as much ;). And what school owns a Mac Pro?

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
A needed deterrent/delay against thefts in public settings. I don't begrudge them the price for being first! (I'd consider buying something for less. A drop in the bucket vs. the machine's own cost, of course.)

And it's clever: I had imagined something cheap/simple that just poked into one of the bottom vents; but now I see that wouldn't stop the case from being opened/dismantled.

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
I'm very surprised that there isn't a security slot on the device, I never noticed before. (I don't claim to be an engineer, but) wouldn't something like that have been a fairly important thing to add in the first place?

Veinticinco

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
Why didn't they make it black?
Visual deterrent as well as a physical one.

As an owner, you wouldn't want some opportunistic thief even failing in an attempt to make off with your tethered precious cylinder in case they caused it damage in the process.

This says "don't even THINK about it buddy!"

CReimer

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2006
Silicon Valley
I'm waiting for someone to create a coffee warmer box that slips over the Mac Pro. Granted it would be a very tall coffee warmer, but no one steals a coffee warmer. :)

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
I never realized that it didn't have a security slot.

I guess they'll be removing it from the iMac and mini soon (the airs and retinas don't have them either, but at least the reason for that is the thinness doesn't allow the slot on those).

I don't know why they wouldn't put it on a desktop machine.

A $3000+ desktop machine.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
What if you cut the power cable and slide the lock plate up?

If you're going through that much trouble you can probably just use your wire cutters on the lock cable instead of risking electrocuting yourself cutting through the power cord. I think these locks are more designed to stop a quick grab than a really dedicated thief.

Jeremy1026

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2007
I'd imagine having to unplug all of the accessories would put a potential thief off just as much ;). And what school owns a Mac Pro?

My high school has (had?) 6 of the older Mac Pros back in 2005 while I was there. Each with a 30" cinema display.

jgassens

macrumors member
Dec 2, 2009

The University of Texas at Dallas has installed about 20 (that I counted) of them in their new Art+Technology building

Music_Producer

macrumors 68000
Sep 25, 2004
I never realized that it didn't have a security slot.

I guess they'll be removing it from the iMac and mini soon (the airs and retinas don't have them either, but at least the reason for that is the thinness doesn't allow the slot on those).

I don't know why they wouldn't put it on a desktop machine.

A $3000+ desktop machine.

What?? A normal car doesn't even come with a security/car alarm. It has to be installed. Isn't it the owner's responsibility to take care of their items?

ml44

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2014
Mac Pro Lock

Hey guys first time poster here.

I saw this result come through on google and I have to say that I am relieved and I couldn't care less what the color of the piece is.

I have been waiting to get Mac Pros for my design team and wouldn't make the investment/upgrade without having a lock.

You'll probably overlook the fact that the color doesn't match or X,Y,Z isn't what you like when you get to your workstation and the $4000 machine you own is exactly where you left it.

Thanks Maclocks!

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London
It really doesn't have a lock slot built in? That's ridiculous!

You mean the security slot it takes 2 seconds to break if you know how. They are pointless.

----------

If you're going through that much trouble you can probably just use your wire cutters on the lock cable instead of risking electrocuting yourself cutting through the power cord. I think these locks are more designed to stop a quick grab than a really dedicated thief.

The power socket doesn't have a security lock... you could just unplug it then cut the wire.

In fact... you can open A kensington lock with a piece of cardboard toilet roll holder. Just tried it on a brand new K-Lock. It works. pointless things - but may stop someone grabbing it on the way past.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0SkKJ4yOKo8

Doesn't mean Apple couldn't have done something better of course.

Last edited:

BlueTrance

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2009
What?? A normal car doesn't even come with a security/car alarm. It has to be installed. Isn't it the owner's responsibility to take care of their items?
Well, my car does come with a key. It's up to me to decide to lock the car or not, or improve its security in other ways.

Sorry but no, there is no way to justify the lack of the security lock slot. I'd be happier if they had made a custom slot and a separate device to rip off some extra cash like the do with iPhone cases, for instance.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.