Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
Screw EVERYONE who says Apple are doomed, these figures are just out of this world and Apple has a BIG year ahead. iPhone 6, MacBook Air w/Retina, iOS 8, OS X 10.10, bigger iPad's...

Last edited:

ani4ani

Cancelled
May 4, 2012
The market never lies. Lower GMs, same profit on higher sales. iPhone available in many more markets than this time last year with only marginal growth.....

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
I really hate the stock market. It's a record number, in what ways is that a disappointment number in the market that's full of solid competitors and is basically saturated?

For a company that does not pay dividends (well they pay but not much) no growth means drop in price. And growth in revenues does not count. It's all about profits. No surprises here. Wait until they provide forward guidance. It may get worse.

----------

Stock down? Good time to buy! :D

That's what they said when APPL dropped from $700 to $600.

Scott6666

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2008
As a person who uses a Note 3 for real world usage I can assure you your "advice" is biased, subjective and baseless.

I carry a Note 3 in my brief case every day. Just purchased, set up, and deployed 5 Note 3 in the last week in December.

Also have a 5s. I can use whichever device I choose. I never use the Note 3. It's dead weight but I have to have one in case I have to answer driver questions.

My advice is neither biased, subjective, or baseless. Your lack of information on me is however in fact baseless and as such subjective.

Are you typing in from Korea, or are you a domestic, Korea-hired marketing shil? Either one would be realistic.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
For a company that does not pay dividends (well they pay but not much) no growth means drop in price. And growth in revenues does not count. It's all about profits. No surprises here. Wait until they provide forward guidance. It may get worse.

----------

That's what they said when APPL dropped from $700 to $600.

CNN Business headline :

Apple's profit and sales beat expectations, but a disappointing outlook sends shares down 6% after hours.

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
Apple has become Microsoft (or at least is slowly getting there).

Huge revenue, huge margins, but never quite enough for investors and analysts.

Look at the MSFT chart from 2000-2010 and that's AAPL's future.

scbn

macrumors 6502
Jul 25, 2010
Apple has this new postponing revenue recognition plan in place which was not there last year.

Yes, they beat top line and bottom line, but the forward guidance is weaker than expected, and stocks are down sharply.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
I carry a Note 3 in my brief case every day. Just purchased, set up, and deployed 5 Note 3 in the last week in December.

Also have a 5s. I can use whichever device I choose. I never use the Note 3. It's dead weight but I have to have one in case I have to answer driver questions.

My advice is neither biased, subjective, or baseless. Your lack of information on me is however in fact baseless and as such subjective.

Are you typing in from Korea, or are you a domestic, Korea-hired marketing shil? Either one would be realistic.

Would you want to be called Apple shill? Why the need for calling the names? Since you never use Note 3 you simply can't know how good it is (carrying it in a brief case does not count).

Earendil

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2003
Washington
they are making lots of money but margins are dropping and growth is gone

5 years ago they never discounted the iphone. now the latest model is always on sale

I'm not sure how you are getting that growth is gone?
"Apple sold a record 51 million iPhones in the quarter, up from 47.8 million
It sold 26 million iPads, a new record, up from 22.86 million last year.
It sold 4.8 million Macs during the quarter, compared to 4.06 million in the year-ago period."

That is huge product growth. The law of large numbers should start kicking in, but over 6% increase in phone sales is a good direction. Not to mention a 15% increase in Mac sales and the rest.

Or do you mean pure profit growth? It held steady, great. What exactly is Apple supposed to do with more cash? I'd rather they reinvest it into the company similar to Amazon. Amazon never shows a significant profit, but their success is not in question. I'd hate to see decreasing sales and more money made. That doesn't bode well for the future, which is what stock is about, yes?

"Strongest ever quarterly earnings" according to whom? Their margins are down from last year, thus the 6% after hours slide.

According to the numbers... how are you confused by this? It's not an opinion, it is factually one.

randian

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2014
Earnings per share is down from $14.50 to $13.87. Since you ever only own a few shares and not the whole company, what are the records good for?
You have that reversed. EPS is higher this quarter, not lower.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Market Cap

For folks who don't understand why the stock might go down afterhours, you have to understand that it takes tremendous results to support Apple's current $487 billion market cap. Wall Street does not believe that Apple is a growth company unless it comes out with a new product line. The new product line is highly speculative. So when Apple doesn't show huge growth in its iPhone and iPad sales, Wall Street gets nervous that Apple won't remain a near half trillion dollar company.

Me, as a shareholder, I like the results. I like that another nice dividend is coming and I like that greater stock buybacks may be coming as well. Also I'm a believer that growth in China sales will be significant. I think Android has seen its best days. Samsung won't advertise as much this year (as compared to last year) and the other high end manufacturers don't have any idea how to make money in this space (and in fact there might not be a way for them). So there is a smartphone shakeout coming.

Scott6666

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2008
Apple has become Microsoft (or at least is slowly getting there).

Huge revenue, huge margins, but never quite enough for investors and analysts.

Look at the MSFT chart from 2000-2010 and that's AAPL's future.

What he said ^

aforty

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
For folks who don't understand why the stock might go down afterhours, you have to understand that it takes tremendous results to support Apple's current $487 billion market cap. Wall Street does not believe that Apple is a growth company unless it comes out with a new product line. The new product line is highly speculative. So when Apple doesn't show huge growth in its iPhone and iPad sales, Wall Street gets nervous that Apple won't remain a near half trillion dollar company.

Me, as a shareholder, I like the results. I like that another nice dividend is coming and I like that greater stock buybacks may be coming as well. Also I'm a believer that growth in China sales will be significant. I think Android has seen its best days. Samsung won't advertise as much this year (as compared to last year) and the other high end manufacturers don't have any idea how to make money in this space (and in fact there might not be a way for them). So there is a smartphone shakeout coming.

Good summary.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
51 million iPhones.

Marketshare begins to have less significance….

4.8 million Macs Sold. I remember in 2002/03 or 04 (forgot exact date ) when in one quarter Apple didn't even sell a million. Now look where they are!

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
So now that your posts got deleted over at Ars Technica, you've come here to troll?

You are wrong. My posts were down-voted but not deleted. You can read them over there. Apple fans down-voting anything they think is not good enough for Apple... Is this such a big surprise? How do you like Apple earnings by the way? I did give an advice for people on AT that they might want to think about diversifying from APPL. If they listened to me instead of down-voting perhaps they would feel better today. Maybe they will up-vote my posts now? It's not too late ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.