Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

apple_logo.jpg
Apple plans to launch new products in categories where it doesn't currently operate, according to comments from CEO Tim Cook. During today's earnings call, Cook said that innovation is "deeply embedded" in everyone at Apple and that the company has "no issue" coming up with new projects to work on.
There's so much of the world that is full of very complex products. We have zero issue coming up with things we want to do. We must focus on the very few that deserve all our energy. We've always done that and we continue to do that.
Since the introduction of the iPod, Apple has concentrated on launching new products in markets where it sees significant room for improvement. With its touch-focused design, the iPhone was a significant departure from its competitors when it was introduced in 2007, and the iPad, introduced in 2010, dominated the tablet market from launch.

Currently, Apple is rumored to be working in the wearables category, which Tim Cook previously suggested was "ripe for exploration" as there are no significantly popular products in that market. Apple is researching a host of possible features for its much-rumored smart watch that would set it apart from existing products on the market, including a range of biometric sensors.

Apple has also expressed interest in the television, with Steve Jobs claiming to have "finally cracked" the design for a simple integrated television set that's simple to use.

While reports have suggested that the iWatch could make an initial appearance in 2014, Apple's television plans are somewhat more nebulous and may have been put on hold in order for the company to work on wearables, which would be in line with today's comments on focus.

During the call, Apple Corporate Controller Luca Maestri also confirmed the company is heavily investing in areas that will generate new products and services and Peter Oppenheimer said that Apple "remains confident in the new product pipeline."

Article Link: Tim Cook: Innovation 'Deeply Embedded' In Apple, Company Has 'No Issue' Coming Up With New Ideas

diddl14

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2009
That's great news for Samsung as it makes their life a lot easier!

AnalyzeThis

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2007
Really? So this is why Apple did not came up with anything new since Jobs departure. Really, really sad, just sad. It is not exactly a break-through to make things wider, smaller, longer, lighter or add colors.

musika

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2010
New York
They'll be just fine. People have to cool it.

----------

Really? So this is why Apple did not came up with anything new since Jobs departure. Really, really sad, just sad. It is not exactly a break-through to make things wider, smaller, longer, lighter or add colors.

Because Jobs has only been gone for two and a half years. It took seven years between the iPod and the iPhone. Arguably, Apple has done far more in the past two and a half years than they did in the seven years between the iPod and the iPhone.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere

You have got to be joking.

How long did it take to come up with iPhone and bring to market?

Week, month, year....or several years of research and development?

Give the transition a chance to settle in and lets see what happens.

cwt1nospam

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2006
Are you really that clueless or are you just paid to be?

dec.

Suspended
Apr 15, 2012
Toronto

Or completely revamped, like the Mac Pro. It's not a new "product category" but the entire concept to me is something that shows Apple at it's best.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
I'd personally like to see them make super awesome bluetooth stereo earphones.

I have a set of Jaybird BlueBuds X bluetooth stereo earphones, and they're pretty darn awesome. It'd be interesting to see what Apple could come up with.

I'm also patiently awaiting this supposed SmartWatch, but don't think I'd fork over the horrendous amount of funds presumably required for an Apple-branded television set.

But don't forget Apple, we're still waiting on a refreshed Mac Mini (Haswell), refreshed Thunderbolt Display (USB 3.0, Thunderbolt 2.0, iMac-like profile, etc.), and refreshed AirPort Express (802.11ac) ;)

Gwonam

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2014
Bleh, Apple's not the company it used to be. Tim Cook, you stink, and so do your speeches.

Gwonam

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2014
You know, this was my favorite company for a long time, not just because of their products but because of their stock. They seem to be losing it. Even though their products are still definitely the best (for the most part), I'm afraid that it won't be that way forever.

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
SusanK,

I feel the same way. If you have the ideas and products - produce and ship them.

Lacking that, you repeat the same "I feel confident in our pipeline / innovation is embedded in Apple" corporate speak that Cook has been doing for quite some time now.

osx11

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2011
You know, this was my favorite company for a long time, not just because of their products but because of their stock. They seem to be losing it. Even though their products are still definitely the best (for the most part), I'm afraid that it won't be that way forever.

People forget that it took Apple 6 years after their iPod release to release the iPhone.

Another 3 years for the iPad.

On average, they release a new category every 4.5 years. By that logic, we should see something exciting this Fall.

And don't forget: With many future products, I think they won't be new standalone categories but rather a replacement for a current device. So for example, instead of the Laptop, they might eventually come out with some hybrid that can boot into both iOS and OSX natively.

----------

SusanK,

I feel the same way. If you have the ideas and products - produce and ship them.

Lacking that, you repeat the same "I feel confident in our pipeline / innovation is embedded in Apple" corporate speak that Cook has been doing for quite some time now.

Tim (heaving learned from Steve) believes in surprises. For shareholders it's bitter but it was their choice to invest in a secretive disguised company. For consumers, Apple is a great company that produces awesome technology.

People here feel like they are entitled to revolutionary products and when Apple doesn't release them to their liking they get all anal about it. Even Apple has limits when it comes to what it can and can not do. Even Apple can't innovate iPhone-iPad-ish every few years.

And it's always fun hearing people criticize the world's most valuable company and pretend like Apple doesn't know what their doing and are going to fail.

tbrand7

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2013
New York
Want to really innovate?

You know how the company changed their name from Apple Computers to just Apple a few years ago?

Why not just change the company name to Banana?

Bananas would take up half the cost the company would use annually in ink since an illustrated banana would take up less printing space than our familiar Apple.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011

Of course it won't be forever. Nothing lasts forever.:)

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005

What did Samsung ever come up with on their own? Other than a watch that nobody wants?

yeah

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2011

1) A7-Chip, the first 64-bit chip in a phone.
2) 2012/2013 iMac, quite possibly the thinnest all-in-one.
3) 2013 Mac Pro, words can't describe the engineering.
4) iPad Air, all of that horsepower and in a thinner body AND the same battery life, wow. (iPad Mini with Retina, too.)
5) MacBook Pro with Retina, just amazing.

If you consider these to not be major engineering/technological advances, then I don't know what to tell you.

Keep on innovating, Apple. :apple::cool:

Last edited:

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Mac pro, retina MacBooks, fingerprint scanner.

In other words, nothing new except the new stuff that Apple produced :rolleyes:

1) A7-Chip, the first 64-bit chip in a phone.
2) 2012/2013 iMac, quite possibly the thinnest all-in-one.
3) 2013 Mac Pro, words can't describe the engineering.
4) iPad Air, all of that horsepower and in a thinner body AND the same battery life, wow. (iPad Mini with Retina, too.)
5) MacBook Pro with Retina, just amazing.

In other words, nothing new except the new stuff, and lots more new stuff.

Apple did not invent the fingerprint scanner

Apple invented the fingerprint scanner that actually works.

epic-retouching

macrumors member
Jan 17, 2014
Would be nice if the negative people did jump ship to competitive brands. Kind of annoying always having to listen to their rants. Even if Apple never innovated again, I know my products are that far ahead of competition for years to come.

----------

Apple did not invent the fingerprint scanner

they implemented it perfectly into a phone, that is a bit of innovation right there. If it isn't innovation then you can't say that the wheel was innovation because nature made it already with a smoothed out by the ocean boulder. See what I mean?

Casiotone

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2008
Or completely revamped, like the Mac Pro. It's not a new "product category" but the entire concept to me is something that shows Apple at it's best.

In a way, it is a new product category : "Ultra compact portable silent 4k editing station" :)

Sure, most users won't need/care for the portability aspect, but I think a lot of editors/directors working on movie and TV shootings sets will be very happy about it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.