Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

torturegarden

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2012
Classic

I hope they keep the Classic around for a lot longer. I really wish they had one with a higher capacity that could play 24bit files. I have a large music library and prefer the interface of the Classic over that of IOS, which is nearly useless for browsing large libraries. I bought my Classic last March at my local Apple store and the sales kid told me they still sell quite well, better than most people assume. My dream Ipod would be a classic with 2 or more terabytes of flash storage that could play 24 bit PCM and DSD files. Probably not going to happen. I just might have to buy a Calyx M or Astel & Kern AK 120/240.

na1577

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2008
At this point I'd like to see Apple come out with one really great iPod and leave it at that. They're no longer updating yearly so they don't need to withhold features for future releases. Go all in--better DAC, FM radio, noise cancellation, bluetooth, and a click wheel. Drop the nano and classic and just call this new model iPod. The current classic is slow and fragile and the current nano doesn't offer a lot of storage. Slap them together and make one fantastic iPod that's actually worth selling for a few years. People might say nobody would buy this, but the people that are still buying the current nano and classic would certainly want to pick this up.

Leave the shuffle at the entry level (since it can't really be updated anyway) and rebrand the iPod touch as an iPad.

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
Still need an iPodTouch because there are plenty of people who don't want the phone service nor the cost of the phone contract and there are plenty of areas where there is no cellular network. A lot of rural areas don't have cell service.

We have seven iPodTouches and an iPad in addition to our MacBook & PowerBook computers. The only cell phone we have is a cheap annual prepaid unit ($100/yr) which is used by my wife for emergencies on the road. Not worth having more. I would not buy seven iPhones to replace those iPodTouches thus there is a need for the non-phone versions. I know lots of other people who have iPods and wouldn't buy the phone.

blasto2236

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
To Apple,

You want to sell more iPods? Remove the built-in memory and add a micro SD card slot. This should allow you to reduce the price. People will see the iPod as having more value and be willing to buy it again.

The real problem with iPod sales has to be that everyone who'd want one already owns three of them.

Then how in the world would reducing the price increase sales?

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
If they re-focussed it as a music device and increased the capacity to 128GB & 256GB options alongside the option to purchase HD music in iTunes it would gain a whole new audience of 35+ audiophiles willing to purchase a dedicated music device to sit in their high-end iPod speaker.

It's very short sighted what they've done with the iPod over the past few years and clearly demonstrates that Cook doesn't fully understand his own customers. Believe it or not we're not all teenagers in the iPod user base.

If anything, Apple is more likely to keep around a $49-69 iPod Shuffle, perhaps adding iTunes Radio to it, and drop the rest. People will store things on their iPhones and iPads. They'll use the iPod when they are out jogging.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
The iPod business hasn't really declined, it's just been combined with the phone and the web browser and the portable gaming console. I mean, why would someone buy a standalone music player when they can buy a device that plays music and much much more? People did it for a while because it was cheaper, but now with the more affordable older models of iPhone and the sub $200 Android phones there's really no point.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
If they re-focussed it as a music device and increased the capacity to 128GB & 256GB options alongside the option to purchase HD music in iTunes it would gain a whole new audience of 35+ audiophiles willing to purchase a dedicated music device to sit in their high-end iPod speaker.

It's very short sighted what they've done with the iPod over the past few years and clearly demonstrates that Cook doesn't fully understand his own customers. Believe it or not we're not all teenagers in the iPod user base.

Considering Archos already fills that niche at a lower price than the iPod classic, I'm not really sure why they would want to.

Also...

audiophile

high-end iPod speaker.

Pick one.

ctyrider

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2012
I've seen all over these forums people posting about how the iPod wouldn't be declining if it was updated more often. The writing is on the walls guys, the standalone mp3, regardless of the brand, is a declining industry given that every phone now functions as such.

Standalone MP3 player is dead, yes. But iPod Touch is not an "MP3 player". It's a multi-functional mobile device, capable of most smartphone functions, but without "traditional phone" functionality.

iPod Touch a perfect device for a pre-teen, who can't afford a full blown smartphone with a monthly plan. It lets young people dip their feet into iOS ecosystem at an affordable price. I say - it's not going anywhere anytime soon.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
I'm not a fan of this. I'm 13, can't get an iPhone, have no reason to get an iPhone, but I like iOS, and the iPod touch seems to be on the chopping block as more and more kids just get iPhones. Even Steve Jobs said that the iPod touch was just training wheels for the iPhone, and so when kids just get iPhones instead, the iPod touch is basically selling 0 units. So....If the iPod touch doesn't survive until I get a driver's license and have a reason for a phone (GPS plus contact with my Mom) I'll basically be boned. I'm not really angry with apple or saying that they should keep the iPod touch for 1 person, I'm just saying I'm kinda screwed. And also iPods are just generally cool, I love the things for some reason.

And I think that the iPod Classic can really only be discontinued if they bring out a similar capacity iPhone or iPod touch, my Dad's entire music library doesn't even fit on 64GB (He has tons of albums, and also 320Kb per second files) so really the only thing he CAN use is an iPod classic.

Assuming the worst-case scenario and Apple discontinues the iPod Touch now, the current model should be able to last you a few years till you can get your drivers license.

Kar98

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2007
Pick one. (high end vs iPod speaker

'scuse, my iPod speaker was $10,000. It's also got four wheels and A/C. And that's the only place I'm actually still using an iPod, a 16 GB nano semi-permanently attached to the stereo in my car.

acidsoul

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2011
Unless Apple offers iTunes Match/Radio in Japan or releases a 128 iPhone/iPod Touch, iPod Classic will stay as my only option.
Well, the match/radio unavailability is probably due to the record companies, but not having enough capacity and battery in iOS devices just don't fit my needs for a portable music player.

HDD based iPods spoiled me.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
To Apple,

You want to sell more iPods? Remove the built-in memory and add a micro SD card slot. This should allow you to reduce the price. People will see the iPod as having more value and be willing to buy it again.

The real problem with iPod sales has to be that everyone who'd want one already owns three of them.
Why would they want to keep a dying market segment around any longer than it will naturally? On your last sentence, thats exactly the point. Standalone MP3 players are an over saturated and dying market, not product.

Short sighted is continuing to develop new products for an entire market that has shown itself to be closing shop. Everyone has a cellphone these days and even the lowest end "dumb phones" are MP3 players. Why invest in the huge manufacturing, inventory, shipping, and advertising logistics for what is rapidly becoming a niche (I need one just for the gym) kind of product?

Apple knows better, as does most of the industry.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Standalone MP3 player is dead, yes. But iPod Touch is not an "MP3 player". It's a multi-functional mobile device, capable of most smartphone functions, but without phone functionality.

iPod Touch a perfect device for a pre-teen, who can't afford a full blown smartphone with a monthly plan. It lets young people dip their feet into iOS ecosystem at an affordable price. I say - it's not going anywhere anytime soon.

If someone can afford an iPod Touch, they can afford to buy an older model iPhone, like a 4 or 4S. They're pretty damn cheap now, but are still good devices.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
One day, in the future, this is will be the iPhone. :)

I see the iPhone series as lasting a few decades instead of just one, more like the Mac than the iPod.

I don't see the iPhone going away until we have free internet everywhere... or maybe if you can control the device with your mind or something?

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Standalone MP3 player is dead, yes. But iPod Touch is not an "MP3 player". It's a multi-functional mobile device, capable of most smartphone functions, but without "traditional phone" functionality.

Why does apple care about the preteen? The goal is to make it normal for everyone to have a monthly plan. Remember in big business kids are the keys to the purse so you better make sure it becomes the societal norm for kids everywhere to have cell phones.

Why you ask?

Apps...Apps everywhere.

You're right that the iPod touch serves as the wedge into getting people into the iOS market for those who don't have a smartphone, but what are the odds that when they finally get a smartphone (as the "low end" older models stay comparable in price to an iPod touch) that they are going to just move into an iPhone.

That "first hit" structure is faltering because everyone in the market will soon have smartphones.

Apple doesn't play here and now in their strategy, they are always looking at the next 3-5 years and thats why their product lineups don't make sense for people only looking at this year.

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
I'm not a fan of this. I'm 13, can't get an iPhone, have no reason to get an iPhone, but I like iOS, and the iPod touch seems to be on the chopping block as more and more kids just get iPhones. Even Steve Jobs said that the iPod touch was just training wheels for the iPhone, and so when kids just get iPhones instead, the iPod touch is basically selling 0 units. So....If the iPod touch doesn't survive until I get a driver's license and have a reason for a phone (GPS plus contact with my Mom) I'll basically be boned. I'm not really angry with apple or saying that they should keep the iPod touch for 1 person, I'm just saying I'm kinda screwed. And also iPods are just generally cool, I love the things for some reason.

And I think that the iPod Classic can really only be discontinued if they bring out a similar capacity iPhone or iPod touch, my Dad's entire music library doesn't even fit on 64GB (He has tons of albums, and also 320Kb per second files) so really the only thing he CAN use is an iPod classic.

You can always get the iPad mini

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
'scuse, my iPod speaker was $10,000. It's also got four wheels and A/C. And that's the only place I'm actually still using an iPod, a 16 GB nano semi-permanently attached to the stereo in my car.

Pch...only 4 wheels? A real autophile needs to have at least 12 and preferably 18 wheels. How in the hell is someone supposed to figure out what kinda stuff to bring with 'em if they can't bring it all?

bigpoppamac31

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2007
Canada
I still love the "classic" style iPod. I have an iPod nano (4th gen) which I use almost every day. I've never been a fan of the touch screen to scroll through my music. I strongly prefer the click/scroll wheel. You can browse much quicker with that as opposed to a touch screen.

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
Why would they want to keep a dying market segment around any longer than it will naturally? On your last sentence, thats exactly the point. Standalone MP3 players are an over saturated and dying market, not product.

Short sighted is continuing to develop new products for an entire market that has shown itself to be closing shop. Everyone has a cellphone these days and even the lowest end "dumb phones" are MP3 players. Why invest in the huge manufacturing, inventory, shipping, and advertising logistics for what is rapidly becoming a niche (I need one just for the gym) kind of product?

Apple knows better, as does most of the industry.

"Why invest in the huge manufacturing, inventory, shipping, and advertising logistics for what is rapidly becoming a niche (I need one just for the gym) kind of product? "

According to your theory then, Apple should abandon the Mac Pro.

flash84x

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2011

35+ audiophiles? Can people that old even discern the difference between 64kbps and 256kbps???? /s

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
35+ audiophiles? Can people that old even discern the difference between 64kbps and 256kbps???? /s

Sure they can, just not in the upper registers. ;)

----------

"Why invest in the huge manufacturing, inventory, shipping, and advertising logistics for what is rapidly becoming a niche (I need one just for the gym) kind of product? "

According to your theory then, Apple should abandon the Mac Pro.

The Mac Pro is a lot more impressive-looking even if it just sits there in the Apple Store collecting dust, compared to a device which basically functions "like an iPhone without the phone part" (in the case of the iPod Touch at least).

Also, I think just about everybody that knew about the Mac Pro were surprised that they didn't decide to discontinue it.

Volkstaia

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2012
East Coast of the US
Assuming the worst-case scenario and Apple discontinues the iPod Touch now, the current model should be able to last you a few years till you can get your drivers license.

I'm still using a 4G and already most major app versions don't support iOS 6 anymore. Yes, I'm looking to upgrade, the 4G is garbage. (and it's scratched to hell and also the screen got cracked FIVE DAYS before I was supposed to get a 5G, ended up not getting one)

----------

You can always get the iPad mini

Who wants to listen to an iPad mini at the gym?! My Dad has an arm grip for his Classic.

fbicking

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2011
I like my iPod Nano

I like my iPod Nano and would hate to see the iPods go away. I could not get use to jogging with my iPhone on my arm, just to big. But a nice small nano with bluetooth headset makes for the best jogging and weightlifting setup. Wish the current Nano had a clip built-in but it only cost $12 for a case with one. Maybe next year will get the clip back. I would also like to see 32GB and a app store for other gym apps. At the local community center it still seems that about 50% of the people prefer iPods for working out instead of a phone. I think one of there problems is they are made well and if cared for really don't go bad so not much need to upgrade for many people. I still see people with 4th and 5th gen Nano's all the time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.