Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kristalsoldier

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 10, 2013
If you're able to get job done using your iPad, don't waste your money.

Well, yes the iPad 4 does the job and I have no complaints at all - except for the weight of the device.

One of the things I wonder about it whether it (the iPad 4) will fetch a good price say 6-8 months down the road.

On another note, I wish I had not read all the threads dealing with screen issues. While I know that those complaints - in the scheme of things - are a small even miniscule number, I would hate to end up with an issue. Someone posted earlier that one of the benefits of waiting till the next release would be that Apple would have worked out all the kinks - such as they exist - by then. The argument makes sense. Let's see, I have another 2 weeks to wait to see what is the best offer I get for the iPad 4.

kristalsoldier

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 10, 2013
Final decison

Well, I thought I'd update this thread. I have finally decided. I will stick with my iPad4 for the moment, that is to say, till the next iteration of the iPad scheduled for later this year. My reasons for the decision were:

First, while the issue of the weight remains a problem, I think I should be able to deal with it at least in the short term.

Second, while I know that the number of complaints about the screen and Safari crashing on iOS7 on this site is probably a very small sample of iPad Air owners, nevertheless, I also think that the folk who frequent this forum are more than a little knowledgeable about their devices. So, when they report that they are having issues - and knowing how finicky I am about my devices - even a small thing would bother me. And, I really don't have the time and the inclination to return stuff multiple times to either the Apple Store or online. That said, I think as with any device the first version almost always has some issues - I have seen this with the Surface (I currently own the Surface RT 2, but I have also owned the original Surface). I am very sure that Apple will work out the kinks by the time the next iteration of the Air comes out - both in terms of screen issues, and in terms of the OS. I would probably wait for that.

Third, I sat down and asked myself - do I really need the Air right now? If I am honest with myself, then answer is no. Like many here and other tech enthusiasts, I like gadgets and would like to have the latest devices (which probably explains why I bought the original RT and the Nexus 10 just after they were released). But already having a relatively new (around 6 months old) device (which is currently under the OEM's warranty) and which is rock solid in terms of its performance etc., goes some ways in making me reconsider the need to upgrade immediately. But this also raised another question. It is probably that the value that I would get if I sold the iPad 4 today will be higher than what I would get if I sold it approximately a year from now, which is when I intend to upgrade/ buy a new iPad. Can I live with that? I really gave this some thought. I concluded that instead of selling my iPad, I could give it away to a relative would could also benefit from it. It would be a better deal, I think (obviously, this is from my p.o.v only).

So, thanks again to all who have shared your comments/ observations and suggestions.

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
Well, yes the iPad 4 does the job and I have no complaints at all - except for the weight of the device.

One of the things I wonder about it whether it (the iPad 4) will fetch a good price say 6-8 months down the road.

On another note, I wish I had not read all the threads dealing with screen issues. While I know that those complaints - in the scheme of things - are a small even miniscule number, I would hate to end up with an issue. Someone posted earlier that one of the benefits of waiting till the next release would be that Apple would have worked out all the kinks - such as they exist - by then. The argument makes sense. Let's see, I have another 2 weeks to wait to see what is the best offer I get for the iPad 4.

The iPad 4 will still have decent value in six to eight months but it will keep dropping and then eventually level out. I would think you could get more for a used one now versus six months from now though.

As for the issues with the Air, there are some problems but they arent widespread and an iOS update will likely take care of the problems anyways. They are working on an update as we speak. I would buy and air and be confident. It's a fabulous device. :)

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
Look for true multi-tasking in ios8 next year--effectively obsolescing all 1 gb ram ipads.

In a related issue--who pays more than 50 cents on the dollar for used electronics? The transaction expenses must be $100 dollars, at least.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.